LegacyGT.com

removing springs from struts without a spring compressor

jeb532

I’ve known this trick since 1970 when it came with the instructions for installing a BRE 510 Datsun suspension kit....kinda surprised it doesn’t show up more often. Been doing this ever since...

To safely remove a spring from a strut without a spring compressor...this assumes they are already out of the car.

Loosen the top hat nut about 1 turn...just enough to have the nut run freely with an right angle air ratchet. Don’t use an impact wrench as your fingers will still be in the way.

Wrap the top hat and spring tightly in a big bath towel, and lay the strut on the shop floor.

Point the top hat out the door of your shop and away from people, cars, and anything you don’t want bruised.

Fire up the ratchet and unscrew the top hat nut.

When the nut reaches the end of the shaft, the top hat, spring, and nut will spring off quickly, but the towel will retard them rapidly. They won’t travel more than a few feet.

I’ve known this trick since 1970 when it came with the instructions for installing a BRE 510 Datsun suspension kit....kinda surprised it doesn’t show up more often. Been doing this ever since...

To safely remove a spring from a strut without a spring compressor...this assumes they are already out of the car.

Loosen the top hat nut about 1 turn...just enough to have the nut run freely with an right angle air ratchet. Don’t use an impact wrench as your fingers will still be in the way.

Wrap the top hat and spring tightly in a big bath towel, and lay the strut on the shop floor.

Point the top hat out the door of your shop and away from people, cars, and anything you don’t want bruised.

Fire up the ratchet and unscrew the top hat nut.

When the nut reaches the end of the shaft, the top hat, spring, and nut will spring off quickly, but the towel will retard them rapidly. They won’t travel more than a few feet.

He's from Texas :lol: Figures.

A more simple and safer way to do it, is to remove the shaft nut 1st while the car is on the ground. Then remove the 3 bolts holding the top hat. Next raise the car slowly and the weight of the car will slowly decompress the spring. Remove the 2 lower bolts, while making sure the spring is decompressed, if not, push down on the rotor to fully decompress it before removing the 2 lower bolts.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I've done this on my road race cars, my autocross cars, and my daily drivers...never been hurt. It saves time and hassle, and is quite safe if done correctly. Obviously, there is no accounting for idiots here as any where.

Yes, you use a spring compressor to reinstall...UNLESS you get lucky enough that the shorter springs you are installing allow you to physically compress them enough by hand...had that happen multiple times.

I'd rather not do it. The two times I've loaded struts, I went to a trusted shop.

One of the techs there told me he used to remove the springs while mounted to the car--he said he'd remove the wheel, then put an old tire under the strut, then unbolt the top hat.

Sounded sketchy, but not so sketchy as this towel trick.

Tits mcgee

Archived