Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the additional input, jazzy. I've found the pac turbo 1's for about 25 shipped and will be looking into those. They sound like an easier solution since I'm a lazy guy. I guess I'll have to order a couple of 3.55mm stereo to rca wires. Monoprice has a decent price on em. Probably much better then radioshack. I'll have to shorten the wires though, 6 feet is just too much.

Mitch: I was just going to add a dc power jack to a CMOY it so it'll run from the car instead of a regular battery. The PAC sounds like it'll save me the trouble so I can just use a line from my carputer's powersupply for clean 12v. If you don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure if you contact some of the sellers, they'd be willing to add one for you.

Argh, the choices. more effort with the cmoy or more wires with the pac.

I was considering asking one of the CMOY sellers. Then I ran across GARY A from electric avenues( ^ see earlier post). between his High-end Amp with multiple inputs and a remote volume. Including his personalized customer service. I wrote to him Mid morning and I've already received 3 e-mails from him and a new AmpliRider is on it's way to me already. I'll keep the board informed of this new idea that may solve most of my problems.
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 12V headphone amp in today.

First impressions are good.

Well packaged. Easy install. Although I may move it to a different location.

I used a "Vampire" clip to get power from the front Cig lighter. Grounded it to a bolt under the Handbrake.

Right now, I have it lodged between the console and the passenger seat with three inputs facing up. I have the volume controls routed back under the console to the driverside. (for now)

Where I needed to have the HU up to 28 or so to play it "Loud" beforehand.

It's pretty loud down around 10-15 now.

Cleanbox courtesy of NSFW.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00124.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00129.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00131.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00138.jpg

That looks pretty nice. I will probably start recommending that exclusively for people who want to use more than one input...it's the only solution I've seen so far that addresses the need to plug in more than one device.

Do you notice any distortion from the pre-amp? Sound quality still pretty good?

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Not yet. I've only used it a little bit today. It actually sounds a lot better, Since I'm not overdriving the stock HU.

Any questions? please ask me or Gary at

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

He's been quite helpful and knowledgable.

And he's Canadian. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The Why:

As several of you already know, there is no auxiliary audio input on the factory radios for the 2005/06 Legacys & Outbacks. This is a fairly common situation. What's not common, is for those of us with the 6CD changer & automatic climate controls, they are an integrated unit, with no way to separate one from the other. That means we can't even replace the stereo with an aftermarket deck to get what we want either: A clean auxiliary input to listen to our mp3s/ipod, xm or navigation.

Ok my question is I have an 05 LGT with the 6CD Changer and climate controls, so what if I don't want to replace my stereo with an aftermaket one and just keep the one I have, although I want to put my box that has 2 12's and my amp in is there an attachment for it??

After reading this on the first page of this topic:

Be aware that this aux-in port is 'always on' to the amp...so if you're running it to something that doesn't turn off, and you have ground loop noise, you will hear it on every function, be it radio or CD...

This leads me to believe that if I also installed an FM modulator, I could listen to the aux in via the Jazzy board while listening to silence on the radio thanks to the modulator. While it would likely introduce some noise, I have found that FM on a strong station is pretty quiet.

And I wouldn't need a silent CD and the pause when it repeats. Would this work?

If your FM modulator worked that good in the first place, why would you even need the aux-in board? Just plug your auxiliary source into the FM modulator - you are going to hear the same static if its accepting an aux-in or not because of FM interference.

Why do you people have such a problem with a silent CD anyway? Just put it in and forget about it, it's really not even an issue. What could possibly be so bad about it? It's not like the entire radio freezes up or interrupts the music when the CD goes to a new track or loops...mine never did once. The Aux-in is ALWAYS ON, so if the stereo is ON and outputting a signal, it doesn't matter if the CD is even spinning, nevermind repeating. Your audio comes from the aux-in, not the CD, and is therefore constant.

FM modulators doe not provide the frequency response (maxing out at 14khz) nor the channel separation of the line input.

Why do people have a problem with the silent CD? Simple, I also listen to CDs, so I don't want to lose a slot nor do I keep wanting to hit disc repeat each time I turn on the car since the lame Subaru radio doesn't remember that. Furthermore, I've yet to find a factory CD player that will still play CDs after 5 years of constant playing.

Yeah, hitting "Disc Repeat" sounds much harder than rigging up an entire FM modulator and turning it on every time your car starts. Also, losing a slot inside a CD player hidden from view is much worse than an eyesore FM modulator next to your seat.

Again, if your modulator is so ultra-clear, why even have the aux-in board?

Furthermore, you drive more than 80 minutes straight that often? Even so, let's say you did have a 90 minute commute each way and it was a true hassle to hit "disc repeat" daily when you restarted your car...over the course of 90 minutes, you are going to enter new areas with different radio stations, and the 88.1 that was clear and crisp at your house is likely to have interference 90 minutes away...adjusting an FM modulator is most definitely not easier than hitting "disc repeat."

PLUS, if you manage to listen to 400 straight minutes of CD music and have to switch discs mid-ride, you aren't going to miss out on 80 additional minutes taken up by a blank CD that can provide thousands of minutes via an iPod or unlimited minutes via satellite radio. If you plan on using the aux-in enough to want to install it, you aren't going to miss one CD slot.

My point is that all of this stuff has been thought out and nobody of the hundreds of successful installs has had the issues you are having. You are making your music in your Subaru into a Rube Goldberg machine of 500 steps to get a clear signal when the rest of us use 2 steps just fine - start car, hit disc repeat. I drive 1500 miles to Florida and 1500 miles back two to three times a year and have never had an issue taking up a CD slot

I have a question...I installed my jazzymod and noticed a whine when plugging my Carpc in. The whine isn't there when using my ipod (ipod isn't being charged by the car either so it isn't using ground from the car). The whine increases with speed......will getting a glc solve my problem? My aux in from the car PC is running along side the power for the computer because i was too lazy to pull out the other side.

I regrounded the car pc and it didn't help much.

high pitched whining with acceleration = GLC problem?

This leads me to believe that if I also installed an FM modulator, I could listen to the aux in via the Jazzy board while listening to silence on the radio thanks to the modulator. While it would likely introduce some noise, I have found that FM on a strong station is pretty quiet.

And I wouldn't need a silent CD and the pause when it repeats. Would this work?

That should work fine - although the background *silence* of an FM modulator will not be as good as the digital "nothingness" of a perfectly silent CD - you will probably notice the difference at higher volumes.
I have a question...I installed my jazzymod and noticed a whine when plugging my Carpc in. The whine isn't there when using my ipod (ipod isn't being charged by the car either so it isn't using ground from the car). The whine increases with speed......will getting a glc solve my problem? My aux in from the car PC is running along side the power for the computer because i was too lazy to pull out the other side.

I regrounded the car pc and it didn't help much.

high pitched whining with acceleration = GLC problem?

Yup - it's alternator whine - aka, ground loop noise. A GLI should eliminate it. You can get one at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. too if you want an instant solution, although they're all RCA so you might need an adapter or two - you can likely get those there too. ;)
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]