LegacyGT.com

ACT clutch and flywheel noises

CMull123

So I recently got my ACT stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel installed after burnin through 2 stock clutches, in 28k miles.

I enjoy how I can actually accelerate now and not hafta feather the throttle, but I'm having a problem with a chirping/squeaking noise coming from my bell housing somwhere.

I'm fairly sure it's not the flywheel, which is what the guy at ACT said it may be, because it only happens with my foot COMPLETELY off the clutch, about an inch worth of travel on the pedal and it goes away. I know I should expect more chatter from this clutch but this is unbearable.

I'll explain the noise in great detail: Sitting at a stop or moving, as long as my foot is off the pedal, in gear or out, it makes this noise. If I put the engine under load, in neutral or not, the noise goes away about 2000-2500 rpms. If I really get on it, the noise goes away almost immediately. It's almost like there's slack in a bearing. The faster the engine spins, the faster the noise repeats itself. I don't feel any vibration in the pedal that would coincide with this noise and have not felt any loss of performance as this noise has gotten worse.

I've got about 1000 miles on the clutch now, prolly about 60/40 highway/town, and it's only gotten worse. When I first got it, it made no noise at all. I've still to experience any chatter while engine braking as my vendor said I would.

Has anyone had or heard of this problem? I made the mistake of having my dealer install it (they gave me a great deal cuz they were slow), should I take the car back to them, being fairly sure they'll say it's a problem with a part and risk gettin charged the fee to diagnose and then again to fix?

Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

I have the ACT HD clutch and the light weight FW combo and it is one noisy bastard. For a while I even consideredflawed installation as an explanation but the more I researched the more it seemed to be normal. It seems that losing the dual mass flywheel creates all sorts of NVH. Mine happens at 20-2500 rpm but only under light load. I learned to ignore but mine is working properly so I let it go. More recently the clutch pedal became squeaky but not from the pedal assembly but the clutch cause I only hear it if I press it down with the windows open. Given the NVH I would carefully consider other options before choosing this combo again. Though I do like its quicker acceleration and easier rev matching.

Archived