LegacyGT.com

SICK of MPG complainers ???

Are you sick of LGT owners complaining about GAS mileage?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sick of LGT owners complaining about GAS mileage?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't care, and I understand the complaints and the reasoning behind them... and getting much worse mileage than expected is never fun.

But in terms of complaining about the Legacy GT's average gas mileage is like complaining that a dump truck is "just too darn heavy."

If you want 250+ horsepower, the energy has to come from somewhere. Breaking down carbon based atoms is currently the easiest and most cost effective way to do that, and you have to use an appropriate ammount of fuel to get that power. There is no free lunch.

If MPG is the end-all, be-all of your car-driving mentality, then Toyota has some nice advertisements saying that they have 9 whole models that get better than 30mpg. Then there are VW Diesels, too.

A 250hp AWD sedan/wagon has other higher priorities than getting every inch of forward motion out of every last ounce of fuel. Those other priorities are why I want a Legacy really bad. Fuel mileage never made me drool over a car.

Yeah what IwannaSportSedan Said =)

And def what rony said :D

I say stop complaing people...it's just silly. You know what the sticker says, you don't like it don't freak'n buy it. That simple, black and white!!!!!

And you can drive to get a pretty good mpg. I can get an ave of 27.1 mpg which is freak'n pretty good in my book, but I hate driving like that. So I drive fast and hard and deal with 22.1 - 24.6.

Love this car, hate nothing about it.

I agree, the LGT is performance sedan, it's going to drink the fuel, people that buy one should expect it. It's something that people should research way before buying one, and also the reason I didn't get one (lower mileage + 6k more = still an extremely hard decision). You don't even have to go to some other brand like Toyota to get a car that can get over 30. My 2.5i gets a solid 32 on the open highway and around 30 in mixed city-highway driving. And I sit in a lot of traffic.

Maybe one day if I find some extra money laying around there will be a LGT in my driveway...

Love everything about my car, but still dream of a few more ponies under the hood and that sweet scoop.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I go back and forth. Sometimes I get pissed that I have to put high test in, that it doesn't get great mileage, etc. But it makes a shitload of power- you can't have everything. If I had some 30 MPG car, I'd be looking for ways to make it more powerful. Hey, it beats my V8 Monte Carlo that gets 7 MPG :lol:

My own 2,222,222,222.02-

Never considered gas milage. I went from an Integra which was lesser car with a high insurance rate and even more astronomical payments. My insurance has dropped dramatically, my payments are much lower and I have a car which I have always always wanted, a WRC proven Subaru which is so much better built with tons more power and refinement then I could ask for.

To put it bluntly, F(_)c|< gas. :D

Am I sick of people complaining about MPG? No, I don't think an occasional "I wish the MPG was a little better" comment is anything to be sick about, nor is the occasional "What MPG are you all getting" question. If there were new threads started every that did nothing but complain, then yes, I'd probably be sick of it then. IMO, most people here seem to understand that while better MPG would be nice, there is a price to pay for a turbo and 250hp. If you think it's bad now, wait till gas hits $3+ per gallon.

You bought a perforamance car that can catch up with or beat most things on the street with 250hp/tq. For the speed it is capible of it gets excellent gas milage. If you wanted gas milage you should have bought a fucking honda 4cyl. That is all.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Oh, it's a great car but the gas mileage sucks.

Agreed, I voted for No. I do mostly inner city driving and these past couple of months, I averaged 270 km on 51-52 liters. I can be aggressive with the car at times but it is still bad fuel economy in general.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

It is known the Subaru runs the cars very rick stock. Check your tailpipe, should be black.

You can use the AP to flash a realtime Valet mode map that disables boost and reduces the rev limiter to 3750rpms, but I don't know if you can run this map for extended periods.

I keed I keeed

My previous daily driver was a 4wd truck with 4.10 gears, low ratio manual transmision and an 8.1L engine, I would get single digit around town and 12 on the highway. The truck fourms would be filled with people complaining about the mpg they were getting. If you buy a 496ci engine in a big heavy truck you arent going to get good mpg. The complaints around here so far dont seem as bad as they were on the truck fourms, there were people trying to get lemon law actions.

So far in one thread here I questioned the MPG I got on my car, I havent complained about it. I wasnt sure what to expect when I got this car except that it would get better mpg then the truck did. I like to have fun when I drive, so if I had been realy concerned about miliage I would have bought the N/A one.

While it's true that one can't reasonably expect a 250hp turbocharged engine to get great mileage, there are probably still areas where Subaru could improve efficiency. I mean, the new BMW 330i makes 255hp/220ft-lbs. torque and gets better mileage (EPA 20/30 MT, 21/29 AT) than the Legacy GT. From what I understand, they did this partly by attacking parasitic losses (electric water pump, pressure-regulated oil pump, etc.) and implementing smarter cam/valve management. I'm not trying to be a shill for BMW (I drive a Leganza after all), but if they can do it, so can Subaru.

It doesn't make sense to compare N/A engine mileage to Forced Induction mileage.

Forced induction engines need to run richer and on higher octane to avoid detonation/knock because of higher compression compared to N/A lower compression.

I keed I keeed

Archived