LegacyGT.com

Introduction + Questions

Hey everyone,

I had a multi-taksed post so I figured the General Legacy forums would be best for this.

So let me start off, my name is Sean. I just purchased an 06 Legacy GT Limited Black on Black of course!(only way to go ;)). I paid 26k which I think is a fair price, it's got the auto dim and spoiler. Originally it was going to be cheaper but this is the last 5spd black on black within 800 miles of my location that's an 06. So some shipping charges were thrown in. Anyhow, I am happy with what I paid and so that is what counts. A little bit about me, I have been tuning cars for about 3 years. This is a big upgrade for me. I started off with a corolla, had a SR powered silvia front end 240 and tomei 2 way, a supra turbo 89 body, Civic with a built GSR, a few other cars, and my recently traded in Scion TC which I baught to establish credit, to in turn by a Legacy GT :). It arrives on Friday and I'm excited, I will be posting pics when I get it!.

Anyway enough about me. I am beginning my modding the day I get it. First mods are going to be a RBS (I think that's the company) grille (I heard it has some fitment issues due to some missing tabs? Not sure why they didn't include it in the grille, but it seems like an easy fix . I am holding off on a lip. The only one I have seen is the RBS which is way too subtle. I like the Gialla lip so if they make a replica for the USDM bumper that you know of any information would be great. Also I will be getting 15% tint all around.

Now for performance goodies I am starting off slow. I want a cat back exhaust to start, possibly even a turbo back.

In doing research I have not found a single one I liked and here is why.

Perrin - I was set to buy this, however from what I read it is way too loud. I do not wish to have an exhaust droning the cabin of my car. However this exhaust sounds great.

Borla - Sounds like a raspy v8? Diameter of piping is way too small.

Autospeed - Looks to be nicely made, however I am not sure if it has that boxer rumble I like, ie. the note that the perrin exhaust produces. Any feedback on people that own this, feel free to chime in.

Greddy Evo 2 - loud and ugly

Greddy SP2 - seems to be perfect. No USDM Sedan fitting.

Megan racing - ugly dual tip mufflers. ( I understand function over form, but I want performance, sound, and looks in a nice little bundle)

Stromung - See Above.

SPT - sounds like shit.

AVO - too quiet from the videos i've seen

Cobb - see above and add the hard to get factor.

Any suggestions? I am looking for a nice sounding exhaust, pref. to the spec of the Perrin. But not so loud that it is going to make talking in the cabin a yelling contest. I baught this car for luxury and performance. I love the quiet smooth ride. No need to **** it up.

Lastly, for the time being would be an Access Port. I did some reading only to find that the Cobb maps cause studdering between 2-3k rpms. Is this studder a misfire or more of a hesitation. If just a hesitation, than I understand because from reading most claim that there is a hesitation from 2-4k from the factory. TDS maps I here are better, haven't ready anything about the studdering. But I guess they require an extra 155 dollars for the maps, which I'm not looking to spend right now. Again any input of experiences would be great!

Anyhow, hope my stay on the boards are fun, and hopefully everyone can help me to better my knowledge. Sorry for the long post, but nice meeting yall and I hope you can help me out with my questions.

AVO mufflers -- you can decide to get just the mufflers themselves or the complete catback. I am running the mufflers with the stock Y-pipe, catless shorty downpipe, and STi up-pipe and it sounds great and it does not drone on the highway. They are not too quiet; they are simply not too loud.

The car hesitates a little bit in stock form. In some cases getting different tuning has helped remedy the issue to an extent. You could start with a Cobb AP and run the 1.15 map and decide where to go from there.

Lastly, for the time being would be an Access Port. I did some reading only to find that the Cobb maps cause studdering between 2-3k rpms. Is this studder a misfire or more of a hesitation. .

welcome

The Cobb maps do not CAUSE the studdering. The TDC map does help it alot though.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

^ +1 to "welcome!" :D

And also +1 to the fact that the Cobb off-the-shelf maps do not *_cause_* "stuttering/studdering."

What can be said, though, is that the Cobb off-the-shelf maps may or may not completely cure the "stuttering/studdering" that may be "inherently" present on your vehicle. Aftermarket engine-management solutions are sometimes chosen by our Forum members not only to improve overall performance, but also as a way to circumvent the "stutter/studder."

Similarly, the semi-custom TDC maps for the Cobb AP have reported more success than the off-the-shelf maps from Cobb in curing this issue.

As for your exhaust woes....

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to truly judge either volume or "tone" from most on-line sound-clips. The problem arises in the form not only of the equipment used to take the clip, but also in ambient conditions that affect the recording - as well as the bias your own reproduction equipment may place on the clip's sounds.

Hopefully, you live in an area where there are at least many other Scooby enthusiasts. While aftermarket exhausts will sound somewhat different on the WRX and WRX-STI, they should give you a better idea of what to look for, and perhaps, if you're lucky, you might even live in an area where there are more LGT enthusiasts, too.

Additionally, please keep in mind that there are more brands of both complete CBE/TBE systems as well as ABE "canisters" available than you've listed (i.e. Lachute, Fujitsubo, Apex-i PS Revo comes to mind immediately for a CBE, and for canisters, Prodrive and Blitz - again, this is just a quick clip off the top of my mind, and this is just counting the "specific for '05+ LGT fitments) - I only mention this because it seems that you may need to go the route of "custom" exhaust in order to satisfy all of your wishes.

You may need to either piece-together your desired system from available off-the-shelf direct-fit components (as I have, pairing a 3" diameter Magnaflow resonated mid-section, for "harshnes" control, to a Lachute Y, for increased flow, to a pair of Blitz NurSpec Touring canisters, for sound-suppression), or you may need to build a custom-system from-scratch based on more "universal" components such as custom mandrel-bent piping and "universal-application" mufflers from Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or any of the numerous other brands thereof.

Finally, the Borla may seem "small," but honeslty, unless you're going to be seeking bigger power than what the typical "Stage II+" setup can offer you, then you truly aren't going to be leaving much, if any at all, power "on the dyno" by using this system versus bigger diameter piping.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks for the relies and welcomes so far everyone!

I am tempted to get the perrin. Does anyone know if it really drones badly? Or is it possible on a highway trip to hold a conversation and or listen to music?

If not the map what causes the studdering. Is it a hesitation or detonation feeling? Is it bad for the car? I might get a stg I one tune first as it would be more beneficial.

Is the perrin short ram the only intake that causes lean problems? Or is it all. Would I be better removing the silencer and ordering a perrin or knn replacement filter?

Again thanks in advance. I'm especialy curious about the perrin exhaust.

There are a few wrxs rollin around but no lgts except a black one with custom 3" with stock tips and a red one with just a bov.

Meaning not many replies.

Nor any question specific answers, just general information.

Gotcha. There have been a few good pieces of advice in the responses, so maybe some didn't respond out of a lack of wanting to sound monotonous. Not sure why you want to jump right into an exhaust, as there are other sources of power on the car. An AP is my first mod in the mail right now. Then if/when I decide to go to stage II, an UP and DP and new TDC map, and I should be good to go. From all my looking around this forum, this is the route people have been going mod-wise. Not sure if maybe the stock cat-back isn't all that restrictive for that power level, or maybe it's something else. I dunno.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and post up some pics in the official OBP pictures thread if you haven't already. :)

Gotcha. There have been a few good pieces of advice in the responses, so maybe some didn't respond out of a lack of wanting to sound monotonous. Not sure why you want to jump right into an exhaust, as there are other sources of power on the car. An AP is my first mod in the mail right now. Then if/when I decide to go to stage II, an UP and DP and new TDC map, and I should be good to go. From all my looking around this forum, this is the route people have been going mod-wise. Not sure if maybe the stock cat-back isn't all that restrictive for that power level, or maybe it's something else. I dunno.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and post up some pics in the official OBP pictures thread if you haven't already. :)

Yeah I'm getting the accessport as a first mod I am just looking into maybe an exhaust as well. But as of now I'm not. I'm just going tint and ap. I am still trying to find out if the studder is a detonation or hesitation. I hope someone can answer this for me.

I pick it up at 430 today. It will be tinted by tomorrow and then I'm gonna snap some shots and post em up :)

Meaning not many replies.

Nor any question specific answers, just general information.

yeah, but you got pointed in the right direction instead of the usual "search noob" responses. There's some good reading on this site.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Yeah I'm getting the accessport as a first mod I am just looking into maybe an exhaust as well. But as of now I'm not. I'm just going tint and ap. I am still trying to find out if the studder is a detonation or hesitation. I hope someone can answer this for me.

I pick it up at 430 today. It will be tinted by tomorrow and then I'm gonna snap some shots and post em up :)

It is a hesitation. It literally feels like a stuttering. It is not detonation. Some of us believe it is a combination of the dual mass flywheel and ECU tuning.

I just wanted to mention that on the stromung, you can make custom orders. I had different tips installed on mine and the sound is perfect.

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3569569304381809437&hl=en]2005 Subaru Outback XT[/ame]

They also offer a TBE solution, though the lead time on that might be a little long.

If not the map what causes the studdering. Is it a hesitation or detonation feeling? Is it bad for the car? I might get a stg I one tune first as it would be more beneficial.

It's more a "hesitation" feeling. No noticeable signs of detonation, such as knocking.

It's currently unknown what *exactly* causes or cures the stuttering/studdering issue. Quite a few things have been cited as the cause, and an equally large number of potential "cures" have been posted, but none have proven consistently reproduceable.

So far, it's a mystery.

Is the perrin short ram the only intake that causes lean problems? Or is it all. Would I be better removing the silencer and ordering a perrin or knn replacement filter?

I believe that as of now, the consensus and general "hobbyist knowledge" is that pretty much all "short ram"-type intakes cause some leaning-out of the AFR as compared to stock.

Is it a "problem," per-se? Not necessarily, as many hobbyist datalogs have proven that as a sole modification, an intake of this type is still "safe."

Whether or not the intake will actually provide a quantitative (let's forget about all about a "felt" increase at this point) power increase is mostly an unknown - but it has been proven by various Vendors/tuners that the SPT Short-Ram intake will produce negative results in this department. To be fair, SPT/SoA has prepared a response to this issue, but they've, to my knowledge, yet to provide any conclusive datalog or dyno-graph proof of their counterclaims.

Overall, unless you have active plans for a custom or semi-custom tune, I would say that it is smarter for vehicles at or below "Stage II" power levels to run the stock intake box (silencer/resonator removed or not), with an aftermarket panel filter if more induction noise is desired.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived