LegacyGT.com

anyone here get pulled over running a stop sign? (New York State)

moviemadness

:mad:

I just got pulled over for "failure to stop at a stop sign"

I asked the officer if it was possible for a warning or nothing at all, but he says once the ticket is written, it's done.

There is no fine $ amount on the ticket, but only a court address and date.

He said though since I claim that my record was clean (and it is), I should plea for not guilty and for driving school instead, so that I get no points or a reduced fine or something like that..

He gave me the option of just pleaing guilty and mailing in the ticket, or to plea not guilty and mail it in as well.

Can I just appear on court on the given day and then plea not guilty?

The situation was, I was driving down towards an exit, downshifted from 5-4-3-2-1, ALMOST a complete stop, then went off. So technically, I didn't make a 0mph complete dead stop, but what people call a "rolling stop."

I know that I did not come to a complete stop, but he says I should plea not guilty? Even though technically I am guilty?? huh? :confused:

Inputs are appreciated. Thanks.

The copper said that if i plea not guilty and mail it in then they'll be a new court date? If that's the case, then do I still have to appear in that new court date? I also assume that it will be a later date as well?

how much should I expect for the fine to be? how many points?

for guilty and not guilty?

Hmm I forget how the court dates work. I believe the one on the ticket is the one you would attend if you wanted to just pay the fine. If you plea not guilty, I believe the new court date is the only one you need to attend. Call up the courthouse just to double check.

For stop sign, if I remember correctly, it's 3 points and I think the fine is from $100 -$225 if you just plea guilty to it.

However since your record is clean they may just drop it to a equipment violation or something that carries no points but a fine. That is all up the prosecutor/judge though and how nice they are that day.

Where did it happen? I had two tickets in a week in different counties upstate (williamsburg and amherst) a long time ago. I appeared on city hall on the two differnt counties. They made me pay the fine and go to school, but there were no points on my license since the ticket got paid to the county and not the state. I believe a failure to stop is a 3 point ticket. look it up on the DMV website.

Just go to the court on your assigned date and see what they say.

X

---

it was in niagara falls by the lewiston police.

the court is the town of lewiston court.

the thing is though, the court date is may 9th, and if I mail in not guilty and wait for a new court date, it's gonna be much later I assume, but i'm out of here may 20th.

I just got one of these exact same tickets. Called attorneys they said they can't help. I'm in NC and here they have what is called a prayer for judgement. What that means is the court puts the ticket off to the side for 3 years. If you don't get any tickets for 3 years they throw the ticket out. You still have to appear in court to request a prayer for judgement. And you will still have to pay court costs.

Other option if you have a completely clean driving record go to the DMV or call them and have them mail you a copy of the clean driving record. Go to the court and beg for mercy and show them your clean driving record. Also do some googling and you find lots more ideas and possible ways to get out of it.

it was in niagara falls by the lewiston police.

the court is the town of lewiston court.

the thing is though, the court date is may 9th, and if I mail in not guilty and wait for a new court date, it's gonna be much later I assume, but i'm out of here may 20th.

mail it in, then just bounce.

stage 2

I got pulled over in Tonawanda for speeding once... Procedures vary from township to township. The township has a plea bargaining deal.

They give me a $150 parking ticket and they send me off to "traffic school" where I sit in class for 6 hours with other dudes, fat, and ugly chicks. Never seen a hot chick ever there. Hot chicks must be better drivers or somthing... :lol:

I would call the DA and see if you can plea it down.

Guest subiecity

no, for me and all my freindand family, sumtimes if u mail it in not guilty and the court is busy, they will just wave it either way mail it in not guilty theres a good chance theyll just drop it cuz its a minor charge....

mail it in and u will kno in a few weeks if its dropped cuz they will send u a letter back saying u are excused, happed to me 2 outta the 4 times i got a ticket, and my dad 1 outta the 3 times he got one....theres still a good chance 4 u

Hot chicks must be better drivers or somthing... :lol:

I think they are just a tad bit better of talking their way out of tickets... if you know what i mean. ;)

I "rolled" through a stop sign myself... got a ticket... paid for it (without really looking at it) and then got a notice that I received 4 points on my license. Whoops. I would just make sure whatever you do... you pay attention. :spin:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Typical end of the month or end of the shift ticket in NY. I got the same ticket about 10 years ago. I was pulled over by a rookie and her supervisor. I went to see the judge and there were something like 10 people there of all types who had got a ticket in the same spot, same day, in about 3 hours from the same cop! It was crazy :D Basically they pulled someone over, wrote the ticket and did it again and again for 2-3 hours. While they were writing me a ticket I could see people "breaking" the stop sign behind them. After writing my ticket they reversed to the same spot, the very next person that came down boom another ticket.

The judge wasn't hearing any excuses, the first five pleaded not guilty and got the maximum fine, points and some other cost. I was sixth. I was like fck this and I pleaded guilty, I got the minimum fine but still got points :(

I don't know what its like in the county you got pulled over in but if they offer you something for the points take it! lol :)

Since then I look for squad cars within my line of sight before I get to the stop sign especially if I am the first to the line ;) Its worked for 10 years now lol.

Most New Yorkers don't come to a complete stop and the cops no it, pick any stop sign in the city you'll see people come to a running stop or a stop a few feet after the line. Its a skill you develop driving here because of all the cars that are parked right up to the corner on certain streets. Its a good skill to have otherwise you'll get into an accident. If someone blows through a stop sign here you'll know it, its pretty obvious. But some don't care...got to fill that quota.

Hey...I lived in Buffalo for about 12 years for school etc. and amassed a number of tickets during that time. Basically, plead not guilty, show up for your court date...they will reduce the ticket to a parking ticket. Pay fine. Since it has been reduced to a parking ticket, the fine stays local rather than going to the state. The good thing is, you don't get any points and insurance doesn't know about it. I guess it's a win-win...sucks to have to pay the fine though. Just another way for the town to make some money...the cops know it when they pull you over, so there is no way they're giving you just a warning. The way they see it, if you're driving a decent car, you can afford a 100 parking ticket. Watch out on RTE's 290 and 390...notorious for troopers.

you plannin on comin back?

back to the states yes, not too sure about Nagara Falls NY, but maybe CA, or even NYC.

mail it in, then just bounce.

I don't wanna get arrested :lol:

no, for me and all my freindand family, sumtimes if u mail it in not guilty and the court is busy, they will just wave it either way mail it in not guilty theres a good chance theyll just drop it cuz its a minor charge....

mail it in and u will kno in a few weeks if its dropped cuz they will send u a letter back saying u are excused, happed to me 2 outta the 4 times i got a ticket, and my dad 1 outta the 3 times he got one....theres still a good chance 4 u

what happens if they don't waive it? then do I have to appear in court? That's kinda risky considering that I might not come back to this town.

I don't know what its like in the county you got pulled over in but if they offer you something for the points take it! lol :)

how do I ask for that? "Your honor, which plea gives me only a fine and no points??" haha..

Basically, plead not guilty, show up for your court date...they will reduce the ticket to a parking ticket. Pay fine. Since it has been reduced to a parking ticket, the fine stays local rather than going to the state. The good thing is, you don't get any points and insurance doesn't know about it. I guess it's a win-win...sucks to have to pay the fine though. Just another way for the town to make some money...

Are you 100% sure that if I say not guilty, then they'll reduce it?

How much is the fine gonna be around?

I guess it's just the wording of the plea, but not guilty just doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't that lying? Cuz technically, I did screw up, but, in order to get a reduced sentence I have to say not guilty? Is the cop gonna be there?

Guest subiecity

back to the states yes, not too sure about Nagara Falls NY, but maybe CA, or even NYC.

I don't wanna get arrested
:lol:

what happens if they don't waive it? then do I have to appear in court? That's kinda risky considering that I might not come back to this town.

how do I ask for that? "Your honor, which plea gives me only a fine and no points??" haha..

Are you 100% sure that if I say not guilty, then they'll reduce it?

How much is the fine gonna be around?

I guess it's just the wording of the plea, but not guilty just doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't that lying? Cuz technically, I did screw up, but, in order to get a reduced sentence I have to say not guilty? Is the cop gonna be there?

from what i kno all the tickets i have recieved......if u plead not guilty u either will get lucky and they waive it, or if u do go to court its pretty much a guarantee to reduce it, ur there to "fight" it so all the officers kno this and b4 the court begins every officer pulls every person outside one by one and u make a settlement with him, u kinda argue back n forth and either way its reduced either ull get just a stupid violation with no points and just pay sum money, or instead of 4 pts on ur liscense ull only get 1 or 2 its a guarantte itll be reduced

Do you actually downshift each gear when you come to a stop? Holy clutch wear, batman!

If I'm in 5th, I just slow until RPM's are at about 1,000 then put in the clutch, and stop. 1st gear, and go!

You really downshift 4 times? wow man.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

well not all the time..only when I need to slow down real fast, and exit out real fast.. also, if you rev match it right, there shouldn't be any clutch wear...?

honestly i'm actually relieved he didn't get me for speeding.. I was redlining a few gears...

Archived