LegacyGT.com

Bad wheel bearing??

Ok so I've got an 05 LGT with 130K and have only had it 4 months. I don't have any noise issues but the cruise control does surge when it works and sometimes it just comes on and starts blinking. Had the wheels balanced and rotated so I ASSUME the wheels aren't bent but I do feel a 'bent wheel' vibration when the car is cold and yet it seems to go away after a while so I'm clueless. Vibration isn't in the steering wheel so I'm deducting that it's one of the rear wheels. Any thoughts?

Stock rims or aftermarket? If AM, are the wheels hub-centric? If not, do you have hub-centering rings for them. If not, then that's where I'd start.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Being winter time, a vibration when the car is cold, and goes away with some driving makes me wonder if the tires are flat spotting.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Well I bought the car in Alabama and drove it back to north Idaho in late September and it did it then so I don't think it could be flat spots right? And the tires were/are pretty much brand new too

If you're sure the wheels are okay, then recommend an alignment next. It's amazing how much stock toe is considered "okay" on these cars. As much negative camber (same both sides) as you can get, with 0* toe at all four corners, and 0* cross-camber. Don't settle for stock okay settings. Per the specs, you can have toe out, in, or any combination, but the car will vibrate if the wheels/tires and suspension are constantly fighting the alignment settings.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you're sure the wheels are okay, then recommend an alignment next. It's amazing how much stock toe is considered "okay" on these cars. As much negative camber (same both sides) as you can get, with 0* toe at all four corners, and 0* cross-camber. Don't settle for stock okay settings. Per the specs, you can have toe out, in, or any combination, but the car will vibrate if the wheels/tires and suspension are constantly fighting the alignment settings.

Interesting. My steering wheel isn't straight when driving straight either. I'll have to check on this

Archived