LegacyGT.com

05 Lgt took a crap

Hello,

Just created an account, although iv'e been lurking on the forums months prior to purchasing a leggy.

I recently bought 05 Lgt sedan with 52000 on the clock. Looked hard over it, inside - outside etc, to the point it was starting to annoy the sales guy. One owner, spotless carfax, and serviced accordingly. Other than a D.I filter, everything is bone stock.

Long story short:

With me putting less than 200 miles on it (Conservative driving, other than the actual test drive), the car now sits at a subie dealer having the short block replaced. "Rod knock" says the service guy, and I won't be able to find out causes until I can directly speak to the mechanic.

Good thing I bought a warranty!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone on the assembly line must have had a kid and passed the bottle around when our cars were born. I'm at 100k. New block is going in this week. I'm on turbo number 4. Hopefully that still works. :spin:

:lol: Truth! I still have yet to get my car back after a month. shortblock and turbo #2. How did you manage 4 turbo's within a 100k? Faulty turbo or way aggressive with the car?

Yea, I love my leggy man, but didn't get a chance to fully bond before she got ripped from me.

At some point I was considering stage 1, but now I'm scared to take her past 3000 rpm lol.

Are just the 05's this cursed?

The '05's suffer from first model year jitters. I have an '05 and stupid stuff has broken like the steering rack. Why would that break, honestly? I haven't had the turbo go but I have an extended warranty so I should be good there. It's a great all-around car so I love it.

Just thought I'd chime in. My 05 LGT is in the shop right now and I'm waiting for the diagnosis. My LGT has 56,500 miles and the engine started knocking really loud about a week and a half ago. My mechanic has said the knock is coming from inside the motor and he needs to pull the engine to inspect it further. I think it will actually be pulled out today. He's told me that it doesn't look good and I will probably be looking at a shortblock. It's pretty dissapointing considering the car only has 56,000 miles and is bone stock. This is my first Subaru and I'm not impressed. My first gen. Eclipse AWD turbo and twin turbo 3000 GT were much more reliable than this. From reading this thread it sounds like I'm not the only one with an LGT that took a crap!

• I Donated
102k and my car is running happily.

Don't jinx yourself. I had to drop in a new longblock at 92k due to a spun bearing. I, too, did not realize how unreliable these cars were before I bought mine. New longblock only had 17k on it when I put it in, and only has 20k on it now, so hopefully I've got some time before this one goes...

Just to chime in, the owners manual on the early LGT's/OBXT's was supposed to be amended to say that turbocharged vehicles MUST have oil changes at 3750miles (just like all the newer owners manuals do). But most dealers were to lazy or didn't know about it so they didn't add the pages to the owners manual like they should have. That being said, this year especially, we've been replacing alot of turbos and short/long blocks on LGTs and OBXT's. Most of these cars (but not all) have had poor oil change history or have been following the old oil change schedule. I've been told the spun bearings is due to the new lead free bearings they started using in 05.

Guys this is scaring me. I just bought an 05 LGT 3 weeks ago with 73,000 miles on it. The previous owner had the turbo replaced and the top end of the motor taken apart to inspect and clean plus new gaskets. The only mods I intended to put on this car was a Stage 1 tune, K&N drop in airfilter, and possibly a tranny cooler for the rare occassion I'll pull my little trailer with, at most, my 600 lbs motorcycle on it. Do I take the chance on this or leave it as is and don't push it for a while?

my 08 has 36k miles on it..

First incident, the 5EAT trans went at 20k

Second, the motor and turbo both blew around 32k.

third, the 5eat trans went again at 36k.

its all good now, but havent been driving it. parted everything out and brought it back to stock. Been driving around my 2001 2.5RS 5MT (the most reliable car ive owned) since the last time my lgt has been down. Im looking to trade in my 08LGT for a SpecB soon.

Just to chime in .... my '05 LGT with 63,000 miles has had a number of issues .. 2 replaced O2 sensors, fuel injector, front caliper, front wheel bearing ... now the engine has a nasty knocking sound. I take great care with maintenance and don't really beat on her. I'm not very impressed at all. fun to drive ... crappy to maintain .. I won't buy another ...

• I Donated
What in gods name are you guys doing to your cars to be going through turbos and short blocks like this? I'm at 95k, no problems. BTW, I change my oil full synthetic every 3,000 miles. Hmmmm.......

There are plenty of turbo failures, spun bearings, and rod knock on various cars on the forum, even among people who maintain things meticulously...

Did you just call a 3000gt Reliable...

I beg to differ...

I guess you must have had a bad experiance with a 3000 GT? Mine was a 1992 VR4 that had 62,000 mi. on it when I bought it. I guess I call it reliable because even though I added a boost controller, intake, and full exhaust from the turbos back, I never had to pull the motor and rebuild it. I used to beat the crap out of that car. I was cranking the boost up with my HKS EBC IV on a stock fuel system, doing AWD burnouts, and just pretty much driving around like an idiot. Back in the day when I had that car and my Eclipse before it, there was no such thing as reflashing the stock computer for more boost and fuel. Back in those days you had to crank the boost up with a bleeder valve on the wastegate and rely on the mass air flow sensor to pick up on the extra air and add more fuel. I was pretty excited about reflashing my ECU on my LGT to add boost and fuel. It seemed like a much more precise way to do it as compared to the way I did it on my Mitsubishi's. I never got the chance to do anything with the LGT since I bought it. It's just really dissapointing that I'm going to have to spend thousands of dollars on a car that appears to have never been beat on. You never know what the previous owner did, but I do know that the car has low miles and it is completely stock. Never had to replace the engine in my VR4.

What in gods name are you guys doing to your cars to be going through turbos and short blocks like this? I'm at 95k, no problems. BTW, I change my oil full synthetic every 3,000 miles. Hmmmm.......

+1

I'm probably going to jinx myself right about now. I have an 05 GT w/55k miles and I track my car once a month and have no problems nor have any signs of it (knock on wood).

I change my oil way more frequently than the every 3000 miles, and have done the other scheduled maintenance a earlier than suggested.

Maintenance is key. That or maybe these cars don't like being driven wimpy........

This car has been nothing but great for me.

Did they work out the kinks in the lead-free bearings for 06? My new engine is from an 06 WRX -- it would be good to know that bearing failure might be less of an issue.

I don't know honestly, We haven't seen to many failures of the newer motors though, except for one 09LGT. I think this issue boils down to oil change interval and the quality of the oil being used. There are alot of "name brand" oils out there that arn't all that good, IMO castrol is the worst. But I digress, I think once the newer cars get older we will be seing the same thing on the poorly maintaned cars. I think there are a lot of people that kid themselves into thinking they take good care of their car just because they look at the owners manual and they dont want to believe they should be following the sever service table just my $.02

On a side note really guys what the hell are you doing to your cars I've never herd of multiple blown motors/turbos and the subaru 5EAT is one of the best auto tranny's in production today, and I'm not saying that because I am a tech at a dealer I HATE working on auto's!

The '05's suffer from first model year jitters. I have an '05 and stupid stuff has broken like the steering rack. Why would that break, honestly? I haven't had the turbo go but I have an extended warranty so I should be good there. It's a great all-around car so I love it.

I wouldn't call a broken steering rack, blown turbo, or blown motor first year jitters!:lol: Those are some awfully expensive "jitters"!:lol:

Did they work out the kinks in the lead-free bearings for 06? My new engine is from an 06 WRX -- it would be good to know that bearing failure might be less of an issue.

Whether leaded or lead-free, thats one hell of a kink when it costs someone thousands of dollars to fix. More like a joke, or maybe I should call it Subapoo.;)

Just to chime in, the owners manual on the early LGT's/OBXT's was supposed to be amended to say that turbocharged vehicles MUST have oil changes at 3750miles (just like all the newer owners manuals do). But most dealers were to lazy or didn't know about it so they didn't add the pages to the owners manual like they should have. That being said, this year especially, we've been replacing alot of turbos and short/long blocks on LGTs and OBXT's. Most of these cars (but not all) have had poor oil change history or have been following the old oil change schedule. I've been told the spun bearings is due to the new lead free bearings they started using in 05.

New used 05 LGT owner here. Have there been any cases with the aforementioned problems in this thread for people who have done oil changes at <3750 mile intervals?

Archived