LegacyGT.com

Sacramento - Chains/cables I can buy/borrow?

Kelvrick

I'm headed up to South Lake Tahoe for the weekend and it looks like there is going to be some snow coming down. I wouldn't be as worried if I was going along 80, but I don't want to risk anything along 50. Jumped on amazon for a set of SCC SZ331 but it doesn't look like they'll get to me by Friday. They got the super Z6's and Z-chains, but those are ~$80 bucks instead of $50 for the Shur Grip's.

So, I turn to the LGT boards. Anyone have a set I can buy/borrow/use? I'm running on gt stock tire size, 215/45/17.

EDIT: Stock tires are NOT 245/40/17.

EDIT2: I ended up ordering a set of scc super z6's from amazon. Will be here tomorrow.

^^ Agreed. Caltrans will close the roads before requiring awd and 4x4 cars/trucks to put chains on.

True, but they might let you by w/ AWD and M + S rated tires and give you a stern lecture about carrying chains. I've had that happen to me and typically carry a set of cables just so I don't get the lecture.

Will let you guys know how the Continental DWS that everyone's been raving about here on LGT fares.

Have those on my car right now. Went up to Tahoe during the first major snow that laid down 3ft in one night, tires did their work, didn't feel any slipping out at all going up over the pass at around 60-65mph while everyone else was doing 45.

Have those on my car right now. Went up to Tahoe during the first major snow that laid down 3ft in one night, tires did their work, didn't feel any slipping out at all going up over the pass at around 60-65mph while everyone else was doing 45.

:eek: guess explains the name :p

Good to know that it'll do well

The Conti DWS are great. I travel to Truckee 3 days out of the week, these tires are solid in the snow. Im here right now till sat if anyone wants to go boarding/skiing. You should be okay without chains if you take it easy on the downhills.

I'm on the conti DWS's as well. They're predicting 7 FEET for the weekend though. I won't be putting them on unless its an emergency and I'm halfway between destinations without somewhere to duck into.

Gotta make sure I have my little winter survival kit fully stocked before I head up tomorrow. Give a waive if you see a white legacy wagon. I should be close to a black bug eye wrx as well.

I've got contis but still have blizzaks for real snow. Can't beat the siping. (sp?) It's a long steep (30+% grade) to my house and in the snow it's a BITCH. I did make it up with my potenza RE050's one time. Required taking VDC off and spinning all four wheels like CRAZY.

Archived