LegacyGT.com

Oil Cooler

So I am posting this before I spend way to much money. I went to Wicked Big Meet this weekend with a couple of friends. When I returned home that night my car started smoking and there was smoke pouring out of my right front wheel well. I could smell a lot of oil burning. I also had too put in like a half of a quart of oil right before I left that morning and I changed my oil 500 miles ago. Seems like a lot of oil missing to me. I put it up on the lift at my shop yesterday and the oil filter was covered in oil and so was my oil cooler. So I ordered an oil cooler. But after reading a few threads this morning I'm starting to think it can be something else above the oil cooler and the oil is just dripping down onto the oil cooler. Is there anywhere else that I could be leaking oil from? I also noticed that when the car started smoking the coolant tank for my turbo was very hot and the cap was too hot to touch. The radiator cap on the other hand was warm but not as warm as the turbo coolant.

Help me out here. You have an oil cooler strapped underneath the car? How is this getting dripped on? I know there is also a seal of some sort above the mounting surface where the filter spins on that can fail and cause a mess like you describe.

I would replace the o-ring where the cooler meets the block. But they are not a known leak point. But I seem to recall one other person a few years back had one leak.

You'll need a need 24mm socket to drop the oil cooler.

Also check the rubber hoses for cracks and the coolant crossover tube for rust while your there.

If you look about post 26 in this thread I posted pictures. The oil cooler may be there somewhere, can't view the pic's here at work.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

Here, I'll save you the effort.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4734.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The surface that the oil filter screws on to (the housing of the oil cooler) is covered in oil. I plan on replacing all the hoses that connect to the cooler while I have it all pulled apart. I also plan on pulling the turbo to make sure that there isnt being any oil passed into the turbo. I am worried that from the heat and the long drive that more damage may have been done then what I can see right now. Has anyone on here changed there oil cooler yet?

Alright. I am planning to do the work either tomorrow or Thursday night. The car is sitting on the lift for now. I will post up the details of the repair after I am done. I'm hoping its the o-ring because that would be a lot cheaper then the whole cooler. T

And if it is the O-ring between the oil cooler and the block that doesn't explain why my the coolant reservoir for my turbo was as hot as it was. When I turned off the car you could hear the warm coolant sputtering underneath the cap. And when I look at the reservoir itself there is coolant marks down the side of it from a leak. Its possible that I have a blown turbo or a turbo that's going bad but I can still hear my turbo spoil. I just figured it was the oil cooler that wasn't working that was causing the turbo to get that hot.

Im not having overheating issues though. Its only the cap on the coolant reservoir for the turbo. My temp gauge is right where its supposed to be and it doesn't really rise. So I don't think its a HG problem.

That's good. I just replace both the pressure caps last Fall before Winter. I figured they were 8+ y/o, cheap insurance.

The rubber seals looked like crap on the old ones.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would also check you valve over gaskets while its off and you have a good view. Dont put too much oil on the new orange oring between the oil cooler and the block because it will cause the ring to float and can get pinched and not seal properly. Also i agree with max that replacing the caps would be a good idea.

-Rey

AZP's First Private Track Event, June 19 at NJMP Thunderbolt $315 including Classroom and Mentor!

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

So I ended up replacing the entire oil cooler. I tried to see if I could replace just the O-ring on it but I couldn't find it anywhere. I even called Subaru and they said it all came as one thing and I couldn't get the O-ring alone. So I ended up just changing the oil cooler and all the hoses to it. It was fairly easy to replace. I let the car run for a while after swapping the part to make sure it didn't have any leaks and ran at a normal temp. Today was its first day back out. So far no smell of burning oil or burning coolant like i've had for a few months now. No leaks or fluid lose. The temp gauge is actually a little bit lower then normal. And you could tell when you got out of the car that it was running cooler. Also my coolant reservoir for my turbo is no where near as hot as it was before I replaced the oil cooler. So I think its safe to say that this oil cooler has needed to be changed for a while and it just finally blew. Thanks everyone for your help.

• 8 months later...

Archived