LegacyGT.com

Let's end the Bilstein mystery!

Underdog

Over the past few months I have been thinking about what direction I would like to take my suspension modifications. I'd really like to do it once and do it right, however I know there has to be some room for flexibility. I have never tuned a suspension before. However, I feel I have a good understanding of the McPherson Strut and Multi-link suspension.

I think the most frustrating thing is the lack of information on how to properly balance the damping performance of the strut and the spring variables for a particular goal. There is a plethora of information about swaybars and tires yet the 1st (or arguably 2nd) most important component/system is almost completely absent from my searches. I have started reading the suspension forum from oldest post->now, I'm on page 114 of the forum. Google searches have turned up nothing.

Most people are content to slap parts on their car just for the rush it gives to buy something new (I love that feeling too!).. Many spend the time and effort to find components that are well reviewed and even backed up with vendor/manufacturer/consumer claims of compatibility. I just can't help but look for that next step of quantifiable data in order to give me the warm, fuzzy feeling.

What I propose is that we collectively have people who are buying shocks (all Bilstein options at least) have them dyno evaluated and post the results in an official post. Other owners would then be able to directly reference the shock and possibly answer a questionnaire that would allow us to make the best use of the subjective data possible. The particular spring obviously makes a huge difference along with complimentary modifications but with a large enough sample size we can zero-in on the root differences.

Maybe we could come up with LegacyGT.com custom valving stages for Bilstein HD's. Then we would have an inexpensive, custom, dyno proven shock. Revalving is only $65 per! Why get any other Bilstein if the HD's can be made to that spec for much less?

So, I know it's a long post but hopefully someone is interested. I'm planning on buying HD's real soon and I'd be willing to have them dyno'd. I can afford the extra turn-around time because I won't have everything together for a few months. The USDM Bilstein HD dyno/spec and compiling the data would be my contribution... Any other takers?

I know of dyno charts for the following dampers: OEM SpecB Bilstein; KW v2; BC-BR (assume Megan Racing is the same); Tein Flex; and at least one more (Tokico?). I made a nice graph comparing them all but can't seem to find it. OB Lee's Koni thread had some good data and links.
Kyle "BlackHole"

The problem I see here is that most if not all JDM Bilsteins (all revisions) out there are take-offs with no validity on their mileage and age....except claims of the original seller. It would not be a fair evaluation comparing a 4 year old rev A strut with a b'new HD.

People who have the take-offs could have their shocks rebuilt to the original spec. which comes with a dyno chart as part of that $65 dollar fee. Just to have a shock dyno is only $25 per.

If I was buying a set of used shocks I would want the peace of mind that comes with the relatively inexpensive rebuild. The biggest sacrifice is the down-time to those that need the struts the car for some reason. There have to be some sets that are sitting and waiting in a parts pile somewhere though...

D'oh! Thanks for the link.

I called Bilstein to inquire about the differences between the HD and OEM Spec. B struts. The guy, Dan, said that the HD was similar to the B6 model that is sold worldwide but is tuned for the USDM Spec. B based on Bilstein's tuning philosophy of increasing comfort and linear range performance without compromising at-the-limit handling.

• 3 weeks later...

What I propose is that we collectively have people who are buying shocks (all Bilstein options at least) have them dyno evaluated and post the results in an official post. Other owners would then be able to directly reference the shock and possibly answer a questionnaire that would allow us to make the best use of the subjective data possible. The particular spring obviously makes a huge difference along with complimentary modifications but with a large enough sample size we can zero-in on the root differences.

Im not familiar with dyno evalution of suspension components, please explain how that is done and what kind of information you are hoping to gain.

Edkwon,

I'm not assuming that most people are within a reasonable distance of Bilstein. However, I am saying that I would be willing to buy HD's have them shipped to me in Boston. Then I would send a f&r shock to Bilstein in NC or CA to have it dyno tested (thanks for the backup sutter2k). The resulting graphs would be posted on a thread so that everyone would have this valuable information.

The only thing I'm looking for in return is other people offering to have the same thing done to their JDM or USDM Bilsteins so we can see what the real differences are. Bilstein will also revalve/rebuild shocks so people with JDM take-offs could make sure that their shocks are in factory-approved condition as well as contribute to the general knowledge base of the forum.

Google search for "shock dyno":

http://www.shockdyno.com/howitworks.html

http://www.circletrack.com/howto/82884_buildling_shock_dyno/

• 5 months later...

In talking with Kevin @ AllShocks.com I learned that there is a place local to me that will dyno evaluate the shocks and provide me more information than I could possibly need. I may have a month or two before I install my new parts so I'm seriously considering doing this. However, without feedback, I might be a bit too lazy to ever get around to it.

TTT!

The shock is hooked up to a rotary-linear linkage. The motor rotates at a set speed and the linear resistive force exerted by the shock is detected by a load cell at the top of the strut. Graph the results.

Please look at the links in the posts above.

edit: I'm not an expert by any means. I'm merely looking for a quantifiable way to compare shock options and how they match to different springs.

Archived