LegacyGT.com

clunk from front suspension after cusco sway?

mmm def

i had my cusco front sway installed, now when i pull into my driveway i get a little suspension clunk in the front, might be the driveway gap. i am on stock endlinks, does that make a difference? The bar is solid and does not move at all. It's not hitting anything that i can see either. I like having just the rear anyway.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had/have the same problem. I have the front and rear adjustable whiteline sways. It did help a little bit installing the Perrin endlinks, but I still get a clunk on bumps and when the front suspension is articulating. There are a couple things you can do to help:

1) endlinks

2) put extra washers around the endlink bolts

3) use a good white grease on the bushing

4) try using clamps on both side of the bushing to stop side to side movement.

#4 is my next move I am going to try.

it's possible that the endlinks are loose.. check them again.. it's possible that the endlink's bearing is broken from the weight of the car.. it's very possible since it's more stress.. my stock endlinks may be going bad (after 37,000 miles on them of which 32,000 with the Cusco sway) as well since I hear a clunk once and a while on the softer bumps, once the car is loaded up and it's turning, it goes away.. so I am really thinking the endlinks' bearings are going bad soon..
Keefe

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my cusco bars. My first impression was the strut bearings because I recently installed the ion springs but I had someone look at the end links and they said they look good. So I am not sure if it's visible to see if the end link is going bad or if there is crushed/broken bearing. But I might try to replace that next. I had eituer cusco or avo and those had to be replaced within a month back to stock.

Any suggestions in which endlinks I should replace them with? Back to stock? whats the cost of stock ones? i know afermarket ones can be around $100.

• 2 months later...
i just installed the the cusco f/r sway bars and i love them. but i have been hearing the clunk from the front sway bar and its usually in the morning when the car is still cold, when i pull out of my drive way. Did any body figure out if replacing the endlinks is the best way to get rid of the noise or should i not really worry about until the noise is almost constant.

the clunk really only seems to appear when the front passenger side is in compression while the dirve side is in tension. also you have to be going pretty slow to hear it. The noise seems identical to what i use to hear on my jeep grand cherokee when i would pull into my drive way. im not to worried about the noise since i only hear it in certain circumstances. I just wanted to get general sense if this is a normal noise for the cusco sway bar installation or is it something that should really concern me?

Inthedeck why did you have to have your suspension component replaced, was it to perhaps find the cause of the clunk?

I just installed my Cusco F&R sways a week ago and no clunks so far. I did get some major squeaking so I just got in there last night with some teflon tape and more white LI grease. I didn't notice and weird wear on the bars (and I looked to make sure that it was not having any clearance issues).

Chris

Inthedeck why did you have to have your suspension component replaced, was it to perhaps find the cause of the clunk?

Yeah, when I took the car in for the cooling fan issue, I also asked them to tighten the lower arm bars, in the front. They seemed to find issues with the front struts, so they had them replaced...but the clunk still exists, though it's not as bad as before. And here, in NY, road surfaces really suck, so I hear the noise a lot. Once it gets a little warmer, and daylight stays for an hour or so more, I will get under there, check the endlinks, check the rubber bushings, etc. to make sure it's all alright.

Might have to tighten the lower arm bars again, too...so I might just have to go to someone with a lift...easier to tighten that way....with a torque-wrench.

i just started getting ckunking sounds from my whiteline rsb. i inspected the rsb and found out that it had slid of to the driver side of the car, even after centering the rsb back the clunk was still there and i didn't see anything hitting it. i'm also suspecting the stock endlinks.

How are the AVO endlinks? anybody try them?

• 4 weeks later...
found out what my clunk was today when changing my endlinks. turns out its not so much the endlinks in my case. My sway bar bushings are actually a little loose fitting around the bar, so it has a little play. I checked the bolts and bracket that hold the bushings in place and everything is tight. I guess i'll need to get some new bushings from cusco or somewhere else. Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 months later...
Yup, I'm in the "clunk club" now too. Going to try endlinks. I didn't have it for a while, then I put coilovers on and have it a week afterwards. I get it on full lock right/left turns, and now under heavy braking.

I have the same problem with my cusco bars. My first impression was the strut bearings because I recently installed the ion springs but I had someone look at the end links and they said they look good. So I am not sure if it's visible to see if the end link is going bad or if there is crushed/broken bearing. But I might try to replace that next. I had eituer cusco or avo and those had to be replaced within a month back to stock.

Any suggestions in which endlinks I should replace them with? Back to stock? whats the cost of stock ones? i know afermarket ones can be around $100.

but at one point, you had yours installed upside down too right? ;) it depends on the "clunk" or "clank"... a "clank" sounds like two pieces of metal hitting each other.. maybe the tie rod..

Keefe

I went back and tightened the #@%& out of the endlinks. WAY more than the 33 ft/lb spec'd. I'm thinking I put 100 ft/lb plus on those things. Seems to have helped the problem. Much less clunking now.

Has anybody measures the diameter of the hole in the sway bar and compared it to the bolt size? That's the only reason I can think of that you would need to tighten it like that. The hole is too big?

Hey JuxtaGT. Check the top nut on the coilovers. The one right below the adjuster knob. I had some clunking on my car last week, and one of the top nuts had come slightly loose. Super easy to check... it's worth a look.

Will do. I have gone through most of the suspension a couple of times now, but I haven't checked that. I'm pretty frustrated, and plan on taking the Cusco FSB out this weekend. I want to eliminate variables, and put the stock back in to see if the problem is still there. I can't handle the clunking anymore, and it's embarrassing to have people in the car with it making all those bad noises.

is this just from the Cusco FSB or other people with other brands having the same issue? also, does this occur w/the RSB too?

heard the same about the whiteline.

my stock rsb clunks on my rear control arm during hard acceleration. (lowered iON springs)

Archived