LegacyGT.com

OB stock OEM struts replacement

We have a third Subaru in the family now, it's 05 OB 2.5i 5MT we bought for my son. Car is great and appears to be very well maintained, but struts should be replaced. I was wondering what OB owners could recommend as a worthy replacement for OEM struts ? I want to keep OEM springs as lowering the car is not a goal. I will probably install diiferent sway bars (Tribeca FSB front and JDM RSB rear) with endlinks to boot, but other than that the car will likely to stay stock.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 1 month later...
Go to subaruoutback.org, there's a sticky. I'm probably the only dissenter to using kyb gr2's spec'd for 02-04 in the rear. Maybe ok if car is loaded down but aggravating as heck if driver-only & no baggage. I wish someone would try the Sach's and report back. I think they are new to US market, and a bit more expensive. Most coilovers are probably a bad idea.

• 2 months later...
You have many choices for the OB... KYB, KYB, and KYB. It's the unfortunate reality if you want an off-the-shelf product. Many users have created a custom shock/strut set but if you want p-n-p you're stuck with the KYB GR2. And they're not bad, just not great performance upgrades. Go with 04 for the rear to help control bounce (the 04 rear struts are identical except for damping rate).

You have many choices for the OB... KYB, KYB, and KYB. ....... ..if you want p-n-p you're stuck with the KYB GR2. And they're not bad, just not great performance upgrades. Go with 04 for the rear to help control bounce (the 04 rear struts are identical except for damping rate).

I put a 20mm White Line RSB on my Outback in an attempt to correct excessive body roll/wobble during fast lane changes. It not only fixed that problem, but also cured the rebound bounce of the stock rear suspension when going over speed bumps. I highly recommend adding a stiffer RSB.

But now one of the stock rear struts is leaking, so it is time to change out the pair. Would the 04 KYB GR2 work OK with the RSB already controlling the bounce or would that be too much of a good thing?

Thanks guys. I may retire JDM RSB from my LGT wagon to son's Outback, this should make some difference. Lack of shocks choices is sad.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 2 weeks later...

For LCA bushings, at least do the rubber STI bushings (not the latest ones, those won't fit...maybe for an 08????). I think those might also be the stock ones for the Legacy Spec B. One step up is group N. Beyond that, you get into those poly options.

20K+ miles and STI bushings are holding up for me. certainly an improvement over torn stock OB bushings

• 4 months later...
I went with 2004 KYB Gr2 shocks front and rear with a 20mm Whiteline rear bar and kartboy end links. Corners much flatter and doesn't bounce around. Don't forget to reinforce the swaybar mounts if you upgrade.

Yes, this set-up works! I already had the Whiteline swaybars, front and rear, and RSB mount reinforcements in the car. Two weeks ago I had the '04 KYB GR-2/Excel G struts installed all around. Those were the missing pieces of the puzzle.

This is a good set-up for a daily driver. The ride is firm but not harsh. The bumps are cushioned, but it has lost the floating feeling. The front end no longer rises and falls as noticeably when winding out the gears. The suspension is nicely firmed up. Probably not stiff enough for competition, but fine for regular driving.

To do the wheel alignment, the shop had to install a set of longer camber bolts - Eibach, for 04-09 STI / 02-09 WRX.

Use new '05 strut mounts because the '04 mounts don't fit the bolt pattern on the body. The '05 mounts do fit the '04 struts.

One of the Whiteline rear endlinks was going bad, so a pair of Kartboy replaced them.

Total cost for new parts, installation, 4-wheel alignment, tax= $1,076.81

Unless problems crop up, I'll be sticking with this arrangement.

Archived