LegacyGT.com

running wire for backup camera

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of installing a backup camera in my '06 OB XT. I have the factory nav and have already been able to tap in to the screen to activate the camera when shifting into reverse. Now I just have to run the cable. Any ideas/tips? I'll be mounting near the license plate. I'm guessing I'll end up having to take off the interior of the hatch. Any tips how to do that?

• 3 weeks later...

That won't be an easy job. I had to remove these trims myself to run a new wire to the hatch lock/unlock solenoid. The wire was broken and opening the hatch was impossible. Hopefully there was the little access trap from the interior to release the mechanism.

Anyway, taking these trims is not easy. Subaru has strong snap and you have to feel with your hand where these things holds before you pull on them. You don't want to break the clips. Wait for a warm day, plastic will smoother and will flex better.

The main problem will be to run your camera cable into the rubber water tight boots that jumps from the car the hatch. There are quite full (2 of them) and fishing an extra cable in it will be a challenge.

I was actually curious about the same thing. Which camera did you end up going with?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have a Kenwood CCD-2000 camera. I bought it several years ago to match a Kenwood Nav/DVD unit I was putting in to a GMC I had at the time. Well, I never go to installing the camera, and the GMC is long gone.

I mounted the camera on the inside trim of the rear window and snaked the wire under the trim and weatherstripping to get in inside. It's less than professional, but not all too bad. It was my intention that this would just be temporary, but we'll see how much time I'll find in the spring to find a different solution. It works OK for now! :)

Archived