LegacyGT.com

fatal OB accident in PA.....

I was through that area today around 2 pm. The roads have a lot of salt and debris on them, but no real ice/snow problems. But coming from downstate where things are a lot flatter and somewhat warmer, driving in Bear Creek was a real challenge. The roads are twisty with a lot of camber. No room for errors there.

This happened about 1/3 mile from my house here in Bear Creek. There was another accident a few days ago in the same area. PennDot usually keeps this road pretty clear. The little boy in the other car goes to my daughters school. He and his mother are both in the hospital. Very sad all around.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

:(:( Wow, that is some serious damage. I wonder what the speed limits are on that road, and how fast both vehicles were traveling. I would have hoped it would have been survivable for the driver though, given the passenger side impact, but nothing is a given when vehicles crash.

I have to wonder if the Subaru driver didn't fall victim to the 'Ghost Walking' issue that has been so hotly debated on the SubaruOutback.org board...

Edit: To Be More Clear, I wondered if it was contributory to the accident. But since the vehicle looks to be unloaded, it probably was not.

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

:(:( Wow, that is some serious damage. I wonder what the speed limits are on that road, and how fast both vehicles were traveling. I would have hoped it would have been survivable for the driver though, given the passenger side impact, but nothing is a given when vehicles crash.

I have to wonder if the Subaru driver didn't fall victim to the 'Ghost Walking' issue that has been so hotly debated on the SubaruOutback.org board...

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Never heard of this. Is it a Legacy trait (alleged) also?

Hmmm... I have experienced some strangeness when passing speed bumps where only one rear wheel passes the bump. Something of the feeling you can get with a solid rear axle where the diagonal link does push sideways. (on a solid axle that can be fixed by a Watt's link)

http://www.teamvenomracing.com/images/slib/cobra/WattsLink-TA.JPG

But for the Outback that's just not right... :spin:

But it's a suspension geometry thing.

453747.png

. I wonder what the speed limits are on that road,

The speed limit is 50 MPH on that stretch of road but people travel much faster. The State Police are always running radar in that area.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Never heard of this. Is it a Legacy trait (alleged) also?

No, its an Outback specific thing. I doubt it played a role here, as the vehicle looks like it was unladen, but if the vehicle was loaded down, I would have to wonder if it was contributory or not.

The current standing theory is that Subaru pushed the limits of the rear suspension design a bit to far (from the standpoint of ride height) and the result is that rear toe changes drastically as the rear of the vehicle is loaded and the suspension compressed. Something a user was able to confirm with a few hours on an alignment rack, and some ballast.

This results in excessive amounts of inward toe, something that can actually provide a straight line stabilizing effect, when both rear tires have the same traction. But when one tire instantly looses traction (like when driving over ice) the tire with traction 'steers' the vehicle's back end because of the excessive toe.

It is still a hotly debated issue, and there are over 50 pages of reading (if you are interested) at the link provided.

The speed limit is 50 MPH on that stretch of road but people travel much faster. The State Police are always running radar in that area.

I believe it, that looks like a pretty high speed collision. The front of the Escape is pretty heavily damaged as well (can just see part of the front end on the rollback), scary stuff...

http://media.timesleader.com/images/rd_010709_7accident5%20%282%29.jpg

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

• 4 weeks later...
my father was just killed in a similar accident like this a few weeks ago. except he was in a cobalt. i def feel for this womans family as i am going through the same thing now. this scares me though because this looked a lot worse than my fathers car but he was hit on the drivers side.

Archived