LegacyGT.com

2009 WRX OEM setup on 2013 Legacy 6MT

I ownws the same coilovers, but only put maybe 10-15K on them prior to selling my STi. For the price they are a functional purchase to lower your car, and add aggressive dampening.

But I would expect paying for a "real" brand, and by real, I mean properly designed from the ground up, not reverse engineered, there is a much higher confidence in design/quality/function/reliability. That includes OEM designs, like STi variants that are properly setup for aggressive driving and 60K miles.

If I was to go back & re-spend my $1k on the STi, I would have re-valved the stock STi struts & added STi lowering springs vs the coilover purchase for the same or less money.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my BC's!!! KW's I am sure are the shiit, but for 2g's, I am sure the majority of us would like to pocket the difference and spend money on other mods. If money grew on trees for me I would have jumped all over KW's and maybe someday I will, but BC's got rid of the god awful ride quality of oem.

Subydude81 - it sounds like you are offended by my word cheap. By cheap, I really meant inexpensive. Yes, coilovers under 1k are inexpensive, and they do not give me what I am looking for. Therefore I am finding my own ways to achieve my goals.

Please cut out these comparison nonsense to a minimum. It's great that you enjoy your BC or Megan or what not. That is not the point of this discussion, so let's focus and be productive. Thank you.

But, I see on another forum where they have posted:

"STi spring rates are 217 front/194 rear. 09 WRX are 216 front, 193 rear

The 08 STi fronts are the same rate (+/- a couple lbs) as the 09 WRX stockers, but they have EXACTLY a 1/2" drop.

The 08 STi rears are exactly the same as the 09 WRX stockers in both rate and ride height."

Suffice it to say that MAYBE the WRX springs and struts give you a 1/2" drop while the STI springs will get you a 1" drop?!?!?!?!

STI struts WILL NOT fit.

I am running '09 GRF springs on Koni inserts front and shocks rear that were intended for the 4G LGT on my '08 WRX. I can tell you that the GRF springs lower the GH8 by around 15~20mm in the front because the spring perch on the WRX strut body is lower relative to that on the GRF.

I can also confirm the '08 GRB springs have the same rates as the '09 GH8 front and rear, just the fronts are slightly shorter.

The rear units from the GRB fit straight up to the GH8 and have the same ride height.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks for chiming in fahr_side! I was just reading your suspension related threads over on the wrx forum earlier this morning.

Are you saying the 09 wrx strut from the pic I attached in post #20 (above), is actually only from a 08 wrx? I am confused because my 09 wrx strut is indeed 1/2" shorter from the mount to the spring perch than my 2013 legacy strut.

Maybe the 08-09 GH8 have the shorter strut body with the longer spring? While the 08+ GRF and 10+ GH8 have the vise versa?

Edited by Scooby-GT

Are you saying the 09 wrx strut from the pic I attached in post #20 (above), is actually only from a 08 wrx?

The '08 and '09 GH8 struts are identical aside from the improved seals.

I am confused because my 09 wrx strut is indeed 1/2" shorter from the mount to the spring perch than my 2013 legacy strut.

Maybe the 08-09 GH8 have the shorter strut body with the longer spring? While the 08+ GRF and 10+ GH8 have the vise versa?

Possible. I read somewhere the GRB perch is higher on the strut body because the tires used are bigger in diameter than those (pre-widebody) GH8s. Makes sense they changed the strut in the move to the wider track.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So it sounds like a good position here are aftermarket 2011 wrx front struts and 2009 wrx rear struts

The '11 fronts may have the clevis bolt holes moved to allow normal camber range with the wider track. Doesn't the '11 WRX have the same length on the LCA as the STi? If this is the case, putting the '11 struts on your Legacy may make it impossible to get the normal camber range.

• 4 weeks later...
So...I am honestly not sure why you took this circuitous path to the Koni's. I would have just tried the Koni's to start with. It would have been a much more direct route. Seems you took a few steps back from OEM, and got back to 95% of OEM, only to want to upgrade from OEM. And still there is really no useful information that anyone else would be willing to try. Not trying to knock your work, it just seems it could have been a little better thought out with less work involved and more data gathered.

No problem. Answer: ride height and ride quality.

2013 OEM setup - too much fender gap, rode a bit film.

2013 dampers with Swifts - not low enough, ride did not change much from above.

2009 WRX dampers - about the same height as above, rode OEM soft, not bad.

2009 WRX dampers with Swifts - ride height is almost what I want. Still riding nice.

95% like stock means the ride did not feel like I have aftermarket springs at all.

Regarding your comment on the Koni's, perhaps you have forgotten that we did not know the Koni's will work on our cars until I confirmed the WRX fitment. Do you still think I am taking a circuitous path?

All I am saying is that if you wanted to go with Koni's, why did you not order some, measure them to compare to the Legacy OEM, if they didn't fit, return them, if they did fit, install them. You would have been done a long time ago and with only 1 suspension swap/alignment.

Koni wasn't even an option at the start until I stumbled upon the WRX setup. Also they aren't exactly bolt on, I will need an extra set of strut body if i were to test fit them.

It's not that easy Gteaser, if it was, everyone would be running Koni's by now.

All I am saying is that if you wanted to go with Koni's, why did you not order some, measure them to compare to the Legacy OEM, if they didn't fit, return them, if they did fit, install them. You would have been done a long time ago and with only 1 suspension swap/alignment.

And...the love....

ScoobyGT is looking into something at the moment, but I won't spoil it. Also, he does the install himself, so, unlike me, he doesn't have to pay $600+ for a test fit. i wish I had the time, place, tools and ability to try stuff out.

Cheers!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

You don't want those because they are non-rebuildable...

The Blitz ZZR dampers that I purchased for my DIT Wagon represent the next-wave of suspension products from Japan - - Same spring sets front and rear, fully rebuldable by the owner ( no need to send back to the factory or special tools to change out the damper body ) and both ends have the same free length...

Cost of springs is approx. 100 usd per set (2) and because the Legacy dampers come with 7kg front and 6kg rear spring rates with the same free length of 200mm ( front and rear springs fully interchangeable as oppose to the 4th gen cars that are 200 & 180mm free length frt / rr hence non-interchangable ) - purchasing 1 set of 8kg or 5kg springs gives me a softer or harder option for just 100usd...

Replacement damper cartridges are also about 150 usd per corner... ( current full list price is 15,000円 )

I was quite lucky to be able to purchase a set from the first "sales promotion" run for 1/2 price at 84,000円 - On top of that - due to a promotion campaign I relieved a additional set of 2 springs for free ( I ordered 8kg so I can go a bit stiffer if I want )

If you are going to order all the way from Japan you might as well get what is current tech....

You can google your own translation... http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/suspension/damper_zz-r.html

The new street dampers from Tein have many of the same features such as being rebuildable...

Cheers,

Edited by Higuma

• 2 weeks later...
ok so if I understand this correctly 2011 wrx struts will fit in a 5th gen legacy? The Koni rears are plug and play? while the fronts will need the 2011 donor struts in order for my setup to be complete?

Yes, yes, yes.

You can use everything from a 05+ Legacy or 08+ Impreza for the donor strut body. Just make sure it's not from an STI.

ok so if I understand this correctly 2011 wrx struts will fit in a 5th gen legacy? The Koni rears are plug and play? while the fronts will need the 2011 donor struts in order for my setup to be complete?

.... and be sure to keep your front top mounts, you'll need them ;)