LegacyGT.com

Oil change 2.2L

Sup guys (and gals) I've got a 95 obw with 233k on it. Now I've been running full synthetic since I've owned the car and I know about not switching back to conventional. I put Mobil-1 10w30/40 during the summer and winter. Now my question is: what kind of oil filter should i use? Should i use a mobil-1 filter or puralator? Def not fram! Also what do u guys run in your cars?

I usually get the Purolator pure one I think, the yellow grippy one. Sometimes I'll get something different if the sale includes that with the 5 quart jug but usually the yellow one. I don't know if it's any better than the other ones though, it's just what I choose.

Sup guys (and gals) I've got a 95 obw with 233k on it. Now I've been running full synthetic since I've owned the car and I know about not switching back to conventional. I put Mobil-1 10w30/40 during the summer and winter. Now my question is: what kind of oil filter should i use? Should i use a mobil-1 filter or puralator? Def not fram! Also what do u guys run in your cars?

I run the Subaru blue filter or the Mobil 1.

The Subaru blue is the best, IMHO.

The blue filter can be had from the dealer for a bit more than the AAP/AZ filters but it's worth every penny.

I'm going to chime in here and ask a question. My leggy is up there in miles as well (237k) and i've already done an oil change with Penzoil 10w-30 high mileage. Aside from longer change intervals, what are the benefits of going synthetic and is it even worth it at this point? My engine could use all the tlc it can get, it purrs like a kitten with asthma :(

Well to my knowledge the synthethic oil is better broken down and the oil can fit thru the crevices that ur engine makes with the pistons and such much better than conventional.... U kno what I watched the video on it and I'm gonna stop there because that's where I fell asleep lol. There's this whole elaborate bs thing on it but supposedly it's better than conventional. I run Mobil-1 full synthetic high mileage 10w30/40 so I know it's good for my car just because it says a bunch of things on the jug lol (not serious btw)

interesting write up. it is so extreme i do not know if i can believe it. but i thought you would enjoy the read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPsSube3 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Well, I worked for Mobil Oil when Mobil 1 was developed. We used two test fleets.... Took the engines apart in each fleet and measured all engine tolerances related to oil wear affected parts before the beginning of the test. Both fleets of cars were driven for 100,000 miles. The Mobil 1 test fleet did NOT have the oil changed for 100,000 miles, BUT the filter was changed every 3,000 miles and the filter oil loss was added. The other test fleet of cars with conventional oil had the oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles. Every 3,000 miles the engines in both test fleets were torn down and measured. After 100,000 miles the Mobil 1 fleet showed less wear than the conventional oil fleet showed after 3,000 miles.

Since the mid 70's I have only used synthetic oil in my cars. I have never had an engine problem. I have always changed to synthetic at 3,000 miles and then followed the car company interval which ranges from 3,000 miles to 15,000 miles (BMW). Subaru has gone to synthetic oil in the 2013 Outback. On a new Outback they want the oil and filter changed at 3,000 miles and then 7,500 mile intervals. With synthetic oil one can go beyond the change interval without too much worry. Note that the filter size on the new 2013 Outback is fairly small, which is why I would not extend out the interval. If you ever saw a BMW oil filter you would recognize why they are able to push out the interval to 15,000 miles.

I would not recommend synthetic oil on an older car where conventional oil has been used for multiple years.... The engine wear is already done. Synthetic oil will have little benefit and if anything may show up as leaks in the gasket areas etc....

My 2 cents worth... I hope this helps...

Well thanks very much for that input. I learn something everyday. Not only that I believe I been using synthetic for 2 years now soooooo I'm stick in a rut now. I feel as I should stay with the synthetic oil and just stay away from conventional. On another note the head gaskets were replaced when I bought the car as well when I discovered the nasty radiator leak and oil leak as well. IMO I feel like the car runs great. "/ prolly my imagination. So is Mobil-1 filter the choice I should run with or should I stay with my purolator pure one?

If you've got the smallest oil leak, or even about to have a leak, synthetic oil will find it and leak from it. It's not worth the extra money, some castrol gtx does just fine.

Also I hear puralator makes the oem Subaru filters so I use puralater. Also they're good quality.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

So what are you doing with your car? I dd mine until I'll be able to afford a better car, so I use decent synthetic and decent filter to save a few bucks. If you're auto crossing or racing, sure I see the point of getting the best stuff, but if not why not just use good stuff?

Archived