LegacyGT.com

So, I CUT MY SPRINGS. OOOOH.

turbodog

Wanted to lower the front of the Spec.B very slightly. See this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lowering-front-end-bit-without-losing-suspension-traveli-181505.html

So, I ended up doing this last night.

First, attempted with struts on the car - I've had other cars with enough space to unseat the spring with spring compressors. No dice, not even close to possible.

Pulled the struts and went at it with spring compressors and impact wrench. These springs have a huge amount of preload when mounted and it is a fairly short travel strut, so very tricky to work with. Scuffed up the struts a bit getting them off.

Looked at the springs. There seems to be about 3/4 of a coil at the bottom that has a bit of a flatter angle to it to seat on the strut. This is all fully compressed and then some when mounted. I measured 6" around the outside, this was a 1/4 coil, cut this off with a large cuttoff wheel, and rounded smooth. Applied black paint.

It was quite difficult getting the springs back on with two normal spring compressors. When you catch two coils, the compressors interfere with the either the top perches or lower perches. Springs took about 3" of compression and several tries to get mounted and the top hats on straight.

Still need to do an alignment this afternoon but I drove it a bit and let it settle. The difference is extremely subtle, about 1/4", maybe 3/8" lower. Wheel gaps are closer to even F/R. No noticeable change in ride.

Works for me!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[AUTO SUBSCRIPTION NOTIFICATION]

*User has chosen an option within the Stupid Actions program preferences that automatically notifies self of ill thought-out vehicular modifications that carry a statistically high rate of flame content within a given thread.

• Moderators
[AUTO SUBSCRIPTION NOTIFICATION]

*User has chosen an option within the Stupid Actions program preferences that automatically notifies self of ill thought-out vehicular modifications that carry a statistically high rate of flame content within a given thread.

Bahhahaha!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Do you know anything about spring rates?

I know more about the design and modification of springs than everyone in this thread, combined. Period.

Feel free to go off and understand the theory, do the math (or run some senarios through a spring calculator), then tell me how cutting 6" (in material aka "wire" length) off a strut spring does anything else than result in a less than 5% increase in spring rate and 1/4"ish drop. I dare you.

I know more about the design and modification of springs than everyone in this thread, combined. Period.

Feel free to go off and understand the theory, do the math (or run some senarios through a spring calculator), then tell me how cutting 6" off a strut spring does anything else than result in a less than 5% increase in spring rate and 1/4"ish drop. I dare you.

You screwed up, just admit it and move on.

Archived