LegacyGT.com

Thanks Kenwood tech support

lewinbn

Here is the letter I sent in to Kenwood's tech support:

Body: I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT with the Factory Navigation. The model is either a DV3100 or 3200 (one is europe, one is US, but I forget which is which).

I am looking to replace the screen with either a Kenwood DDX814 or DDX812. Will I be able to use the Stock Navigation with the either or both of these decks. I've had eXcelon Models for years and would like to continue using them as they are by far my favorite Head Unit. Thank you for your help with this.

Regards,

Ben

----

It took them 5 days to come up with this response:

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

For all support regarding Subaru OEM navigation systems, please contact 1-800-Subaru3. They hold the support contract for these units.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

-----

This isn't a question about the Suby. I just want to know if I can take the screen out of my car and mount one of their newer models there, and still plug in the factory NAV! I thought I had this figured out earlier in the year, but I can't find my notes from researching. If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! -Ben

Thanks. I read all of the threads about soldering wireds and what not. I'm actually doing a full install and taking the factory OEM out of the equation. I'll be running a 5 channel amp and JL speakers. I was going to use a Kenwood double din if it's a direct plug and play with the OEM NAV, but if it isn't then I'll going with Pioneer or Ecplise. I'll continue sifting through the board. Thanks. -Ben

I am NOT savvy when it comes to cars. My original plan was to just have the new head unit replace the OE factory screen. I have a place that can modify the bezel so it will fit.

From my research, it sounds like the Dual climate controls and factory HU are pretty integrated. I didn't want to chance ruining the controls by removing the HU. Maybe my best bet is to find a place in the Boston or Providence area that might be able to help me. is the JDM kit something that I can pick up on Ebay, or is their a specialty site that I would need to look at?

I have the 814 and the 3200 is listed as nav that will work with the screen as will the g510 unit that I still have hooked up to the factory screen.

My recommendation is to leave the factory screen and hook up a g510 unit to it. Add the 814 with the dual din hvac jdm kit and the wiring harness adapter and have a kick but system.

My voice comes through the 814 by having another nav cable hooked to the 814 unit and the receive line hooked to the transmit line on the g510.

I also can play video through the stock factory screen.

Archived