LegacyGT.com

What cars were you originally considering before you bought your 2.5i / 3.0R?

Ford Fusion - ruled out because it's built in Mexico

Honda Accord

Mazda 3 - different class, I know, but I liked it better than the 6, and it had more options than the 6 back then, like navigation!

Pontiac G6 - I know, what was I thinking? I rented one with the OHV 3.5 liter and liked it, and when GM started offering the DOHC 3.6 liter 252 hp engine mated to the 6 speed auto, I was tempted. But the interior is typical Pontiac, and well, GM should've done a little better.

Really, I was leaning toward a fully loaded Mazda 3, but then I decided on the Legacy despite the non-turbo having only a 4 speed auto and no navigation or stability control. Living in northeast PA, AWD was certainly a factor in my decision. Reliability and IIHS crash test scores also weighed heavily. And of course looks were a factor. The Legacy was one of the few sleek, clean understated sedans in a market full of ugly cars. Sadly, that's no longer the case with the 2010 Legacy.

I was originally going to get the '06 baseline Impreza, but I got a better deal on the Legacy, and it was roomier.

It was either going to be that or a DSM. Very happy with my decision because one of my friends bought the same DSM I was looking at, and his transmission went out almost immediately after purchasing it.

I had on my list the 08 Mitsu Galant.. I liked the sporty look, and the Mazda 6... but living in CT.. I wanted something AWD. Looked at the Impreza real fast and I think the legacy is a little bit bigger so I got that instead :) (sometimes I regret it.. but not much)

Infiniti G35x - ruled out because it was too expensive.

Was basically looking for a solid car with AWD for trips through the local mountain snow, sporty enough to enjoy daily, auto, and did not want to spend more than 32-35K. Oh, and the added bonus was that I had access to the VIP pricing.

I originally wanted a new Impreza since my '05 Impreza got totaled. When the redesigned '08 Impreza came out, I drove it and was really disappointed. I specifically did not want a turbo in that I already had a fast, great handling car, (C5 Corvette, sorry!). What I wanted was a daily driver that could use regular gas. Since the '08 Impreza was such a disappointment, I drove the '08 Legacy 2.5i, which hadn't been redesigned, and liked it. I had a tough time finding the one I wanted since it had to have a manual transmission and at the time there were only three 2.5i's in California with manual transmissions. I used an internet auto buying service which finally found my car. Almost 30,000 miles later, I enjoy driving it now as much as the day I took delivery.

started with a 09 wrx. but couldnt afford it. ended up with this pzev and paid the msrp and not the added dealer markup. got the rear wing, fogs and survival kit thrown in. added to the deal 3.9% financing.

I'm 6ft5 so I don't fit in many cars...

Impreza- Just couldn't get past the looks, hohum interior styling and cheapish materials. Call me shallow.

Ford Fusion AWD- nose heavy, leans and plows in the corners, but has torquey motor with good power in reserve.

Loaded with features and thoughtful touches, but felt like the materials would age quickly. Leather was plasticky.

Mazda6 previous gen- Not enough headroom.

VW Rabbit- almost went for this one. Great handling, solid ride and road feel; it cuts down the road and around twisties with confidence, purpose. Quality materials, but engine feels like it came out of a van (I think it does, actually); it's a low revving affair that runs out of steam when pushed. Apparently free from VW reliability niggles. Pretty great car.

Acura CSX (Honda Civic Si Sedan)- Surprising nose heavy feeling in the corners. Engine feels anemic until you mat it. Not enough headroom. Great interior.

Honda Accord- Big car, not really what I was looking for. Just couldn't shake the feeling that I was driving an appliance. The huge cabin and expansive dash makes me feel like a Florida retiree.

I wanted to be different, too (Subaru core customer?)

Lexus IS250AWD- Headroom and legroom a joke. The previous gen had more driver space! Besides, who am I kidding I can't afford this.

Legacy 2.5i- Nice interior, good headroom w/o the sunroof. Leans in the corners, but doesn't feel nose heavy. The cockpit has a snug feel that I like (ooh-er). Just enough powa for my needs. Love the unique engine and exhaust note. And hey, I always wanted a Subaru so I finally got me one. The price was right, too. Cheaper than a Civic, nevermind impreza!

A year later, my only complaint is the squeaks/rattles from the dash and console area, but most of it subsides in the warmer weather. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my choice. I must say I think it looks damned sharp, too.

I wanted great gas mileage (this was when gas looked like it was heading up to $4+ per gallon -- and eventually did), regular gas, AWD, practicality, some luxury features, low price, decent handling, safety, durability, low maintenance cost and a car that I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in.

My cross-shopping was kind of different, since I was coming from a Mazda Tribute and was again considering a small SUV. I might have bought a Ford Escape or Mercury Mariner hybrid, but they were going in the low $30s and were hard to find at the time. I thought about an Audi A4, even a lightly used one, but it didn't meet all of the above criteria. I briefly looked at the Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue (new at the time), but they seemed to be soccer mom cars to me. Plus, my wife already had the Outback, so I decided I didn't want another wagon. In the end, there was no other choice but a DGM 2.5 limited. I've enjoyed it ever since.

I actually wasn't so much cross-shopping, since I was familiar with the Subaru and I like the feeling.

I did cut back on engine to a 2.0 NA, but it would have been fun to have the 3.0R Spec B.

453747.png

Considered:

#1 Mazdaspeed 3 (not enough legroom) (dealer was a greedy toad)

#2 '08 LGT

#3 Mazdaspeed 6 (used) (dealer thought the car was made of gold and wouldn't budge on price)

#4 WRX (too small, I'm 6'4")

#5 Mustang V8

#6 Mustang V6

Ended up with a '08 3.0R (great price (27K new), AWD, nice growl, can burn regular (never have), no turbo means better reliability)

Archived