LegacyGT.com

STi Wheels

SUBE555

Just a thought for everyone who likes these 18" STi wheels: [img]http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/largeimage/1-3.jpg[/img] The wheels shown below: [img]http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/largeimage/1-4.jpg[/img] ...listed through another major U.S. vendor are $640/wheel for the same 17x7 size as listed on the STi site. The STi site lists the 18" anthracite wheels found on the S401 for 92,400yen each while the second wheel I pictured is found for 61,950yen, that's a 1.49:1 ratio, times that by the $640 for the gold one available in the U.S. through Gruppe-S, and that comes out to about $955 per wheel! :o Wow, that's friggin crazy! I can't even find any of their larger Volk wheels for $545 each. STi prices are really bloated! Just thought I'd share.

Somehow I like the Spec B's better, easier to clean for one as I have the 16" snowflakes and they're a total PITA. Either way you're not gaining much in room, they're both 18x7" which seriously compromises tire options (Tire Rack had about 5 in the 215/45R-18 SpecB/STi wheel size versus 18-some for the 225/40R-18 of the more standard 18x7.5" aftermarket size as these also cost about 3/4 the price of the smaller tire.)

In my opinion, spending lots of money on aftermarket wheels just for show makes no sense. If you're willing to spend upwards of $300 per wheel you should look for light, forged wheels like [url=http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=wrx&cat=wheels&prodid=671]SSR Comps[/url] or [url=http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=legacy&cat=wheels&prodid=197]Advan TC IIs[/url]. This way you're combining good looks with lower unsprung weight.

It is a BBS forged wheel. We'll let you be the first one to own those wheels for $4k. :D (I know they may be available for less, but in any case, still more expensive than most others.)

The BBS wheels available through Tire Rack don't show their BBS wheels being quite that expensive, though they may use a slightly different forming procedure, shouldn't make that big a price difference.

I looked at Tire Racks's wheels and some of them are forged. The 18 inch RGRs are going for $502 each. They are kind of similar. [img]http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_rgr_db_ci3_l.jpg[/img] Add a bunch of $$$ to this price because of the STi center cap and because they have to be imported from Japan and the price will probably get out of hand quickly.

Yup, paying for the name for sure. When I was comparing the normal Rays wheels to the STi ones which in many cases were smaller than the Rays, the STi wheels often cost $100-200 more each, just for the sake of the name I'd imagine and them coming from Japan.

There is no way that I can afford to put that kind of money into wheels. Holy crap.. that's just silly to me. There are so many better ways to spend that kind of coin. I wonder if there will be a factory 18" wheel option for either the GT or OBXT? That would be great to get some spec b wheels!

• 8 months later...
The US 17" BBS rims are the basis for the RGR's. The rims at the top are NOT RGRs. I also can't recall ever seeing a aftermarket BBS rim that is the same exact design. Most if not all of the STi rims are exclusive to them, and you pay for it as the sales volume isn't high enough. Basicly you have stupid expensive dies for the forging of the rim, and very few rims to spread it across.

[quote name='ha-evolution']I looked at Tire Racks's wheels and some of them are forged. The 18 inch RGRs are going for $502 each. They are kind of similar. [img]http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_rgr_db_ci3_l.jpg[/img] Add a bunch of $$$ to this price because of the STi center cap and because they have to be imported from Japan and the price will probably get out of hand quickly.[/QUOTE] On their website, it's listed at $595 a piece. I believe their prices have been up'd relatively recently. -Moto

Chrome looks great! I had it done on my old car but I've also had problems as well. At about 4 years after the chroming, I had a sealing problem between the tire and the rim. As it turns out there was rusting "inside" the wheel. Don't know why but the chroming was done by a reputable place in CA. Only thing I can think of is maybe I filled it up with air in the rain and maybe water got in there. Don't know for sure. Just my .02 -Moto

The sti wheels are more expensive yes because they say sti... but also because their hub seats perfectly... generic aftermarket wheels are designed to fit many different hub sizes with the same bolt pattern... so you use hubcentric rings to center them on the hub perfectly... the sti wheels have hubs that will only fit subaru sized hubs or smaller.... so they're more expensive because. also the company who makes them needs to make money on them and so does subaru... so they get marked up a little more. Over all I think cheap light NOT forged wheels are the best unless you have enough money... Even if I could afford a set of forged wheels I wouldn't get them... for the same price as a set of forged LW wheels you can get 2 sets of cast light weight wheels... I drive my car daily and if I curbed a $300+ wheel I'd probobly kill myself. where as if I curb a $150 wheel I wouldn't really care. I have konig heliums on my civic and they're light as hell and cheap as hell... Sure I've bent one on a pothole that probobly wouldn't even have bent the stock steel wheel much less a forged wheel... but I can replace it for next to nothing.

check out [url]www.jdmpartstx.com[/url] for some good deals on these JDM wheels. They seem to be good people (I have been emailing back and forth with them about some other 18" OEM wheels for the Legacy).

Archived