LegacyGT.com

High Performance Drivers Ed, Streets of Willow, Jan 19th, Group Pricing! Instructors!

LosAngelesLGT

WHAT?

HPDE / Open Track Event at Streets of Willow Springs

http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/images/stories/tracks/willow_springs/sow_611wide.jpghttp://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137997&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1357083783

All types and makes of cars welcome! The Streets of Willow is a great short track, and local favorite. This track provides a good start for novices, yet gives advance drivers a challenge as well. We'll be running the full track with the bowl. This is a 1.8 mile road course with 14 turns and three elevation changes, and plenty of run-off space for a safe track going experience. This is a timed event, there will be multiple cars on the track, beginner groups will adhere to strict passing rules in specific safe-passing zones (straight's) when waved to pass only. Vehicles are grouped by driver experience and speed.

WHEN?

January 19th, paddock arrival 7am-8am. Drivers must attend mandatory drivers meeting at 8:15am. I suggest you get there before 8am for a good pit spot, get registered, (tech if you have not already done so:eek:), get your transponder, helmet, etc.

COST?

Regularly $120, now $95 for the full day of track sessions with timing/transponder (coupon code sow33)!

SA2000-10 helmet rental $10 (motorcycle helmet not acceptable)

WHAT IS INCLUDED?

Lunch, Bottled Water, Group Instruction, Basic Beginner Instruction (Pro Instruction In Car Available All Day $50), $500 in raffles/give-aways and a giant smile.

WHATS TECH?

This event is a self-tech event. It is your responsibility to make sure your car is safe for the race track.You must fill this out and turn it in at registration. Be sure to download a Tech Inspection Form. Present completed form at the morning of the event. If you need help with self tech, see a mechanic or contact be BEFORE the track day.

http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/tech-inspection-form

WILL I DAMAGE MY CAR?

Driving on track is a little bit rougher on your car. If you are running street tires, you probably will not use more than 2/32" of tread. However, this is really up to you. If you are set on trying to drift around every corner, your tires will wear much more quickly. Typical, well controlled fast driving will not use up your tires as long as they have a good amount of life remaining. You should make sure you have at least 50% of your brake pad left before showing up at the track. If you have less, it may be wise to get fresh pads installed. Novices typically will experience much less wear than an experienced driver, because they are not pushing their cars as hard.

BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A TRACK BEFORE...

You must sign up for the beginner group. Group instruction is given to all beginner group participants. There will be a general driver's meeting, covering the different flags and their meanings, as well as the passing rules. After the driver's meeting, there will be an additional beginners classroom session, followed by an on-track lead-follow session for you to familiarize yourself with the track at a comfortable pace, following an instructor.

WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?

Closed toe shoes are required. Long sleeve shirts and pants are preferred.

MEMBER REVIEW "My First Track Day..."

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-first-track-day-my-05-lgt-limited-wagon-198873.html

Thanks for the reminder Max. I'm so close to being ready I can smell it but car is not quite 100% yet.

I'm waiting to complete the motor break in and get a final tune (and get a tire patched).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

You can't get that done in the next 2 weeks? That's disappointing. Would love to see your car run there. I'll be there with my camera and if we are in different groups I can take lots of pics of your car. For our awd turbo cars, this is really the best time of year to track.

Make sure the patched tire is in the rear. The two ladies in my life are coming out for this event too so good time for you to meet 'em.

You know I always wanted to come to the track with you. I even tried a few times but life got in the way. The rest of the time the car was in pieces. Now that I am a f/t mr. mom and p/t filmaker instead of f/t wageslave I am no longer at the whims of producers and directors...

And thanks for the line, Its different in 2 and the bowl than I was warming up to. I was trying to limit my speed by staying out of 4th but I obviously need to go though 1st and the chicane in 4th. Like I said, 1:35 with 80% driving and a track full of people running 140-155 for my first time out.

EDIT: BTW Lewis, when I told them jokingly that I was going to sneak in and take your place at the races they said two things...

1. Lewis can drive the balls of his car.

2. Lewis did a LOT with a little.

You left them with fond memories of you and your driving.

Max be sure to take lots of vids. I can race California tracks vicariously thru you :p I'm also happy to give tips which is where the vid would come in handy.

Mark J. is also a wealth of knowledge. Try to ride-along with him whenever you can.

Max be sure to take lots of vids. I can race California tracks vicariously thru you :p I'm also happy to give tips which is where the vid would come in handy.

Oh you know I am going to be steady contact with you. PM me your FB if you do that crap Lewis.

Mark J. is also a wealth of knowledge. Try to ride-along with him whenever you can.

Mark is in the passenger seat of my car in the photo.;)

fixing alignment on tuesday. Ya buddy!!!

Awesome Jay! This event is going to be a great test&tune for your suspension setup. I'll have tools and a full set of Subaru fluids too.

I know you are going to have a really good time.

Plan on doing any more of these in the future? Too busy at work until after April.

I did HPDE on the 29th of last month and am doing the 16th, 19th and 20th this month. They go on every month at least once a month from this group.

There are always track events. I have signed up for the Sunday events instead...my friends all decided on Sunday

Look for me competing in the AWD Challenge on Sunday. If you wanted to hang out and have fun Saturday was it. Sunday its eyes-on-the-prize and I likely will be more busy than social.

Here's something i do everytime i get on track.

Accelerate and brake really hard on all the long straights of your warm up lap and don't take the corners too fast. If you gotta let people pass, then letum pass.

This technique is really effective for getting your tires up to temp (brakes too) and a better and more effective technique for warming up your tires compared to chopping the steering wheel left and right, which only results in scrubbing your tires prematurely. So after a full lap of braking (or lap and a half) your tires should be read or near ready to start executing your hotlaps.

Have fun guys.

Last time I was the track noob.

There are instructors every time and for all levels.

In general I'm going to be the only LGT there.

TL are a lot faster on the track than you would think.

I'll be at Big Willow (WSIR) on the 16th and I will be at SOW on the 19th and 20th. Otherwise, WSIR will have a day on 2/3, Buttonwillow on 2/16 and 2/17. Back to WSIR for the 3/16 and 3/17 then SOW again on 3/31. Im not going to all days.

Archived