LegacyGT.com

Question about after market exhaust fitment

Hey all, I'm about to pull the trigger GMS cb exhaust. I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer about what fitment issues I will most likely experience. I've read so far that I may need longer hangers to help the mufflers clear. Also I may need to take a router to the bumper to make room for the tips.

My hopes are everything fits nice and snug with the supplied equipment and that I can get the tips to hang right underneath my bumper. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

From what I understand, the mufflers should have no clearance problem, but rather the tips will hit the lower part of the bumper. Adding longer hangers will drop the tips a bit which will lessen the amount of trimming you need to do to the bumper.

Me personally, I plan to just cut what is needed out of the bumper for my LGT SPT CB to clear. I like the idea of keeping the tips up higher.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

For me the midpipe was at an angle b/c I had to use longer hangers. I could never get the mid to dp to seal. I would get this high pitched screech under load.

This was the ebay catback with cnt dp. A flex section would have fixed it but i didn't care for the look anyway.

You haven't come across a write up on how to trim up the bumper have you?

From what I understand, the mufflers should have no clearance problem, but rather the tips will hit the lower part of the bumper. Adding longer hangers will drop the tips a bit which will lessen the amount of trimming you need to do to the bumper.

Me personally, I plan to just cut what is needed out of the bumper for my LGT SPT CB to clear. I like the idea of keeping the tips up higher.

I will do a walk-through once I get to mine, but it won't be done until it warms up a bit. But here is the basic idea...

Once the center pipe is mounted, try to install the muffler onto the pipe. More than likely the bumper will keep the muffler from sitting up very high, but it will give you a starting point to start your cutting. Cut only a little at a time and re-measure. You can always cut more, but not add material back (easily anyway). Once you have an opening just big enough for the muffler to fully mount to the mid pipe, you can now start to trim the bumper for appearance. Depending on the type of tips on your muffler, the bumper cover should come down above the tip, and your cut-out should be an inch or so from the end. This should result in the tips sitting under the bumper with the bumper intersecting the sides of the tips diagonally.

As far as tools go, I like to use tin snips for initial cutting, and a box cutter for final scoring and cuts. You can use sandpaper or a Dremal at low speed to do any final shaping.

Best beer? I find that after that kind of taxing work, Blue Moon really hits the spot. If you like heaver beers, Duck Rabbit brown ale is a good choice.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Archived