LegacyGT.com

Loud Tapping Sound

Okay.... 05 LGT auto.

I've been tackling different issues with this thing for a while. It had a very rough idle and lack of power. The idle still isn't PERFECT, but nearly.

It had a vacuum leak, copper spark plugs gapped at .045, and three exhaust leaks. (middle flange, and two rear)

That's all good now. I bought NGK Iridium and checked gap for .030.

It runs MUCH MUCH better.

Then, seemingly just out of nowhere I have a very loud tapping noise near the head on the drivers side. It went from quiet to loud. I have a difficult time believing that a lifter just went out of adjustment just like that. But, maybe they do. I've never encountered that issue. It seems worse at idle and acceleration at slower speeds. (up to 30ish) If I'm cruising I don't hear it. If I'm cruising and I accelerate pretty good, I don't hear it. It's audible inside which is how I'm listening for it when cruising.

It's coming from the front cylinder area on the drivers side.

However, I'm starting to think that perhaps there is another exhaust leak in that manifold. I've been researching the crap out of this and it seems that a leak up in the front can have a similar sound.

I went wot tonight just to listen and I had a faint smell of exhaust. It used to just choke me out when the middle flange was leaking. No more, but I smelled it just a little bit. So I'm leaning towards an exhaust leak. Perhaps fixing the others upped the back pressure enough to expose this weak spot and make it worse.

The other thing, idle or cruising it is running 14-14.2 afr. Seems that it should be 14.6ish, correct? My last car, it was direct injeciton which may change things but it was 14.6 on the money usually.

Just getting your opinions.

**SOLVED**

I googled some shops around here and found one very close to my place that had several reviews on Google, all highest ratings.

Turns out.... a spark plug was very loose.

I guess it must have not been tight enough and worked loose because it was fine before. They got it though in around 30 minutes checking all four.

Those spark plugs were going to be the death of me. I'm anything but a pro mechanic but not a complete dumbass either. I had the whole front end off my last car replacing a FMIC. These plugs though.... they own me. I have huge hands too so that didn't help at all.

Either way... I'm glad it's all good now. It finally runs how I always thought it should.

It's interesting, the power steering used to be inconsistent in power and make noise but once the idle was worked out it doesn't act up at all any more.

I got the car for $8,200 with 103K. Brakes, etc are all good and new set of Continental DWS. So after chasing down a few smallish things that added up to overall poor running - all is gravy now.

Archived