LegacyGT.com

Saying goodbye

Well, at least to my leggy. My lil sister called me a half hour ago saying she got side-swiped. She's ok, but her car is pretty much done from how she desribes it. Sucks, since I just bought her new tires less than a month ago :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm giving her the Leggy, but I'm worried. As most of you know these cars are kind of quirky. The hard hitting second shift, the delay to third, the vibration at idle and certain RPM's, etc. I'm meticulous and want the best for my lil sister, but I can't really afford to buy her another car. Besides, aside from the quirks, I think this car, even at 206kmi, will be a lot more reliable than the only other option; some $2k POS with questionable reliability.

I'll stop rambling. I'll still be around in case she ends up getting something else or I end up buying another 2nd gen (maybe I'll upgrade to a 99 this time! :lol:) It's either that or a moped. :cool: Any one know of any good moped forums...just sayin, wanna be prepared

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I'll be around. Most of you guys are pretty damned chill, and I get a kick out of some of the posts. I've also learned a bit over the past 2-1/2 years of ownership, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute some, too. It's definitely going to be tough, especially after learning so much and doing so much to her. Well, not too much, but I've kept up with the maintenance, and have been able to fix just about everything that has gone wrong.

So she's perfect, I'll be giving her a full detail, inside and out, before I drive down to DE next weekend. I want to change out the engine mounts and figure out the clunking I've been hearing recently, too. Oh, and one of the posts broke off the relay for the JDM headlights. The face of both relays are pretty well worn, so if any one could give me part number, I'd appreciate it. I'll pull it and compare to what they have at Radioshack if not.

'15 FB25

I love the STI, but the leggy has been a part of my life for the past two and a half years. She has performed well through all road conditions and, even though she doesn't have the most sophisticated AWD system, it works and it has worked well for me. I've learned a lot about Subarus with her, and I've learned a lot about myself...haha, maybe not that second part!

I hate to say it, but I'll most likely end up getting a small beater Civic to help out with my DD gas mileage. Who am I kidding? I'll be looking mostly on Subie forums over the next few months, so I'm sure I'll spy a cheap Leggy or Impreza to play with ; ) We'll see!

'15 FB25

When I got my Leggy I had a "clunk" from the motor/tranny area. Turns out one of the 2 bolts (5speed) that holds the tranny mount to the tranny crossmember was missing its nut completely, and the other one was almost completely backed off!! I torqued them down "good-n-tight" and the "clunk" went away. Ha ha might be worth checking out. :)

Moped like this?

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26423&g2_serialNumber=3

Electrically assisted bicycle.

Or this:

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26627&g2_serialNumber=3

Or why not a car from AMC?:

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27089&g2_serialNumber=3

:p

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
I'm leaving now to pick my sister up from the train station, and hand her the keys to the Leggy. It'll be a sad drive home in the STI ;)

'15 FB25

haha. I had to explain that things that seem alarming on most other cars are perfectly acceptable with the Leggy. haha She looked at me kind of funny, but she'll figure it out.

'15 FB25

Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad everyone is ok though.

Question re the quote below; my gen2 had the same issue and over the ~2 years i owned the car i learned to drive around it however no auto place could fix it? Do you know what was wrong?

I have since sold the car and now own gen3 OBK but still interested to know what was wrong with the tranny!

The hard hitting second shift, the delay to third

I read up on it when I first got the car 2 1/2 years ago. From what I remember it was an internal design issue; something about a seal or something allowing leakage past channels in the tranny. What ever it is, it seems pretty common and, though it seems to have gotten slightly worse since I've had it, it's never bothered me. Things that are predictable and expected don't bother me.

'15 FB25

Thanks for the info. I thought it was something like that seeing as though 3 mechanics i asked couldnt do anything about it!

I learnt to drive around it and im sure the new owner will too.

I can't find the link for it, but I was right in the middle of it. I tried it after I was sick of the hard shifts, and it really worked like (I think it was) a guest user said. I've been pleased with the job it's done; everything has been reduced to a level I'm comfortable with. Now all I have to do is flush the tranny (it's almost been 1,000 miles).

Archived