LegacyGT.com

Trunk and gas door releases

mbm

Hi all,

I looked today at a 2005 Legacy, which I am thinking of buying. One of the issues I noticed with it is that both trunk and gas door releases need to be pushed back in place before either the trunk or the gas door can be closed. It feels like a spring is missing but at the same time very stiff, i.e. pushing them back in place requires much more effort than I would expect if it was just a missing spring. What can it be?

Thanks.

Lots of potential reasons, probably dirt and crap getting into them by the drivers feet. Could be rubbed out somewhere too but that's pretty doubtful.

You don't know how the vehicle was kept before you started looking at it. Salt/dirt is not nice to those components.

I agree, I think corrosion from salt/dirt/water is probably the culprit. Since it happens with both cables, I think the problem is where the cables connect to the release levers.

I think there might be dirt/corrosion/salt on the ends of the cables, which is preventing them from sliding back smoothly. I would start by inspecting that area, and maybe even lubricating the ends of the cable wire to see if that helps.

trunkfuelrelease.thumb.jpg.190fbf57b766cc65daa7bee416d2400a.jpg

Archived