LegacyGT.com

Vacation Tire Help Needed

SpeedNeeder

I'm on vacation, 1000 miles from home.

I found a nail through my tire, just missing the tread and going through the sidewall - BUMMER~!

I go to walmart, they have nothing to fit my stock rims.

I go to the next place down the street, they have Federal 595 sport something or others. I end up buying two, thinking my stock RE92's have almost 30k on them and I can't mix and match on the same axle.

Question, am I ok to drive on two Federals (on the rear) or do I need 4 new tires? At $106 installed each, not a terrible deal. Anyone know anything about these tires?

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

You are supposed to go with 4 new tires on an AWD car. Your thinking is correct for 2WD cars, but it needs to be expanded upon when all four wheels are being driven.

Also, from what I've heard about those tires, they are supposed to be fairly decent. I think they are fairly new though, and I don't have any direct experiences to share. :o

I went back today for 2 more tires, and they don't have them, neither does anyone else around here! So, I guess I have to buy 4 more tires in the morning to make the drive back home.
My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Thanks nKoan!

I haven't done the research, but I doubt the Proxes would be my first choice. They ride fine, no complaints there. I haven't really given them a test in the twisties yet though.

Yes, I am glad to have made it home... in time! I could have ordered some matching tires, but that would have meant at least 2 more days out of town, and I just couldn't do that due to work requirements.

Meier, I know what you are saying, I thought about just riding home on the two tires, but it was 14 hours of driving. If it was an hour or two I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I figure if it is going to cause a problem, 14 hours at highway speeds would do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived