LegacyGT.com

Mcintosh Stereo Skipping

Hi All,

This is my 2nd Mcintosh headunit (first one was replaced due to skipping cd's.)

Now it is happening again. I have the 2004 Japanese Spec Subaru Legacy GT. Same shape as 2005 United States model. My options are to replace the stereo or repair it. (the repairer guarantee the repair). I want to install a Dvd headunit and put an Xbox 360 in however I need a bracket to do this as the faceplate will not fit a new head unit without modifications.

So this puts me in a scenario where I need to weigh up my options. I was thinking that having a 360 in the car and playing Lips (the singing game) with the windows down while driving. This would have unlimited comedy potential especially when driving down busy streets during the weekends (the stock speakers are very loud).

Thoughts??

Regards,

Max

Tried one of those CD cleaner discs. It didn't play properly. It's interesting because some days it works flawlessly particularly when parked. My brother has a similar problem where when he goes over bumps it skips (2005 Subaru Legacy GT). Mine used to be perfect all the time. I am told it could be the actual spinning mechanism or the lens or the laser and the price for repair is reasonable ($120-$250 New Zealand dollars) although I would prefer just to upgrade to a unit that never skips and keep the existing Mcintosh speakers as they are very good quality. I am getting a bit tired of replacing the unit with another faulty unit. Maybe I should get a can of compressed air and try spraying it for dust?

Regards,

Max

Archived