LegacyGT.com

06 Legacy weird gas mileage e/t display

Anyone notice in an '06 Legacy that the gas mileage display is always in increments of .3mpg? I've gone 10,000 on the tripometer and its always in that increment... makes me think its not-so-accurate and maybe i should be calculating gas mileage myself :icon_mad:.

Also, anyone have any problems with the estimated travel time randomly not working. Sometimes it will just display "--", even during massive commutes, anyone seen this?

Also, anyone have any problems with the estimated travel time randomly not working. Sometimes it will just display "--", even during massive commutes, anyone seen this?

Are you talking about the "Elapsed Time" display? (ET)

There is another thread here somewhere, reporting that it can get confused if you don't pause at ON before starting the engine.

Anyone notice in an '06 Legacy that the gas mileage display is always in increments of .3mpg? I've gone 10,000 on the tripometer and its always in that increment... makes me think its not-so-accurate and maybe i should be calculating gas mileage myself :icon_mad:.

wtf?

all these gas/mileage/economy threads... maybe i stumbled into the civic hybrid forum by mistake.

Mine does the same thing.

The workaround is to turn the key to the on position for a couple of seconds before starting the engine. You will notice the "--" will disappear after the pause.

I have noticed the -- as well but I think it might be because the computer has yet to calculate my averare MPG. I'll have to look the .3mpg though. I don't recall mine doing that since I saw 23.5 etc. Hmm, maybe a bug in the software. Oh-oh, a "Windows" moment maybe?? Turning the key to the off than on would effectively be like "Rebooting" I guess. Hmm.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

IMHO, it is nothing but an "estimating" device. That's all. The best thing to do is to do a "manual" logging of your trips and fill ups.
"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

IMHO, it is nothing but an "estimating" device. That's all. The best thing to do is to do a "manual" logging of your trips and fill ups.

I know this, but being the computer nerd i am i was wondering how it "estimates" and in doing so, why is it "estimating" in odd increments... sounds like some flawed logic. Just wanted to see if anyone knew how it computes the avg. mpg.

Even doing manual logging is estimating. Variations in the pumps and your method of filling up. I doubt that it will be more accurate than +or-.3 of an MPG anyway.

As for the display, it is probably designed to round off, because it can't be more accurate than that anyway... Like mine is reading 16.9 average, I know that that falls in the range of "BAD", thats good enough for me, as an estimate, because that is all your gonna get anyway.

BTW, I don't really care about an extra 10 bucks per fillup because of MY heavy foot, the fun factor is worth it. Besides my insurance dropped more than my gas bills went up (comming from an 02 ford focus) anyway!

The 0.3 increment is definitely the case.

My best guess behind the reason is that Subaru's electronics are "natively" metric, and 0.3 miles = 0.5 kilometers. Those of us displaying english units are just getting a rough conversion from kilometers per liter to miles per gallon.

Can anyone running in Kmph mode verify their fuel computer measures in 0.5 kilometer increments?

As you've observed, the computer is a good estimate but not accurate. When compared to actual mileage calculations, my real fuel economy is anywhere from 1 to 2 miles per gallon *less* than what the car calculates.

I leave the computer set on Outside Temp -- that way when the actual temp is displayed after I turn on the ignition, I know the E/T will be accurate.

The MY06 E/T bug has nothing to do with what setting the display is on at start-up. If the key is turned past ON to the start position without a small pause, the E/T will read -- for the entire trip, regardless of the default display. I too keep mine set on outside temp.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I have noticed the -- as well but I think it might be because the computer has yet to calculate my averare MPG.

Wrong instance of the -- reading. The avg MPG will read -- on all cars for the first mile after an odometer reset/fill-up, this is not the bug in question.

The E/T display will read -- when the key is not paused at the ON position prior to starting on MY06 cars.

• 1 month later...

Just spoke to my Subaru dealer about the "---" ET message. This should is just a timer that begins as soon as you start your engine and resets when you turn off the car. I'm not the only customer they've had with this problem. The ET function works correctly on my 05 Ouback XT. I've been told by Subaru that it's a bug in the computer and that it has to be sent in for reflashing.

I'll post another update once I have the car back.

Cheers!

Wrong instance of the -- reading. The avg MPG will read -- on all cars for the first mile after an odometer reset/fill-up, this is not the bug in question.

The E/T display will read -- when the key is not paused at the ON position prior to starting on MY06 cars.

My instantaneous MPG display will also show -- when I'm stopped. Some smart person realized that it was far more kind to show that than 0.0 :icon_bigg

Haven't noticed the E/T mode doing that yet though :iam:

My instantaneous MPG display will also show -- when I'm stopped. Some smart person realized that it was far more kind to show that than 0.0 :icon_bigg

Haven't noticed the E/T mode doing that yet though :iam:

Because you drive an '05. The E/T -- bug only affects MY06 cars.

Mine does that all the time..."E/T_ _ _ " It is going to the dealer about that tomorrow:confused:

.3 increment doesn't bother me more than taking my car to the dealer and worry about my car while it is sitting there the whole day and wondering what the mechanic does when he takes it out for a test drive:lol: .

Did you guys try clearing/re-setting your A & B Trip meter gauge?

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

• 2 weeks later...
Mine does that all the time..."E/T_ _ _ " It is going to the dealer about that tomorrow:confused:
SOA issued a 2-page TSB on May 10, 2006 for a problem abstracted as: " - : - - " Indicated in Elapsed Time Display. It's TSB 08-37-06 and described as: "Some 2006MY Legacy/Outback vehicles equipped with Information Display may fail to register Elapsed Time (E/T) or Journey Time when the vehicle is started. This bulletin is to inform of the correct repair procedure for this condition."

I've no idea what the "correct repair procedure for this condition" is. I guess we'll just have to hope this TSB will appear in a "timely" fashion at:

http://www.thel7.com/tsb.html

The problem description suggests this is a MY2006-only problem. Maybe not.

I must have stumbled into n00b city on this thread. These have been known issues/features for a long time.

Issue: In the '06 Legacy, if you turn the car to start quickly from lock, it will not calculate the E/T. Just displays "---"

Feature: Avg. MPG is calulated in .3 mpg increments. Many threads have also indicated that the computer estimates mileage about 1 mpg optimistic.

Feature: Avg. MPG is not calculated until after 1 mile of travel as indicated on the Trip Odometer. Individual Avg. MPG calculations are maintained for both Trip A and Trip B. When Trip A/B roll over to "0" after 10,000 miles, it begins recalculating the Mileage.

Feature: Instantaneous MPG is calculated in .5 mpg increments. When you're at a full stop, the current MPG is (obviously) "0" or "---" as displayed on the dash.

Yup.....Brady is right about the quick turn of the key not starting the E/T reading.......When I went in for my first service, I asked the mechanic about it.....Simple.......the display must light up before you start the car if you want the E/T to display properly....takes about 1/2 a second.

As far as the "Mileage" readout.....I treat it like a highway amusement game :(....doesn't matter how it reads, it is never accurate....just something to do as you drive.......why waste your energy watching the road:confused:

Archived