LegacyGT.com

Turbo making strange noise?

So, for the past month or so my 05 LGT has started to make a loud and unusual vibrating noise every time the turbo kicks in (usually around 2500 rpm).

I left the noise alone because after doing a tad bit of research I found other people saying that a vibrating noise was found on 05's and beyond when their exhaust shield came loose and they hit 2500 rpm. Now, however, I don't think this is the case.

I also notice a slight loss in acceleration (this may be just me trying to accelerate slower to avoid this nauseating sound) but in either case I feel the need to take precaution as I've read some horrible stories of turbo's exploding and shooting into the engine block. A friend of mine, who is a mechanic, (never worked on turbo's) told me it could be the bearing's inside wearing out.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Is it my turbo? Is it something else?

I like to fix things but my car knowledge is on the dim side. I would love some help!

^^^ Do this ASAP. This is not something you want to sit on if your turbo is in fact failing. Replacing the turbo is not cheap, but if you wait too long it will grenade into your oil lines and then you will have to replace the turbo AND the shortblock which is $4-6k minimum.

Good luck!

After taking off the down pipe and feeling inside, there was no play at all that I could tell. What I did notice was the connection to my inter cooler was loose and had a slight leak. I though that might be the problem so I put it all back together and righted it up... Still hear the sound. It is quite loud, especially in the drivers seat.

I took a video of it to throw on YouTube. In the video I'm slowly going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. You should notice a strange vibrating noise towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd gears. It's not the greatest quality but I'd thought I'd give it a shot.

No it doesn't. And it only seems to happen when the turbo engages.

Is it happening only when building boost (as when driving down the road), or can you make it happen when just revving at idle? At idle, the turbo still speeds up with the engine RPM (exhaust flow increases). This might give some clues.

Either way, you might want to get it looked at before something let's go. It doesn't sound good.

Do you have anyone you can take it to? If you're not familiar with working on these then it would behoove you to find someone that's knowledgable and let them look at it. Personally, I wonder if it's a failed wastegate actuator on the turbo and it's bouncing under boost. Check vacuum first and then if there is no leaks, use a mityvac and check the wastegate actuator. I believe it's supposed to be at 14.5-14.7 psi and if it moves with less, then you most likely have boost creep.

Archived