LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a 2011 Legacy 3.6?

subaduba

Will someone set me straight here?

I know this site is for mostly Subaru performance enthusiasts, but I need your help.

I live in Chicago so winters could be rough and I can see a real benefit to all wheel drive.

I have been waiting for the 2011 3.6 Limited to come out with folding mirrors since my garage is very narrow and do not want to have a $500 mistake just by hitting the side of the garage when my kids are fighting.

I see so many pros and a few major flaws from what I can tell with the Legacy.

Here are the flaws.

I want the rear camera as added security with my little children and I want the GPS like I have in my 04 Accord. I am told the interface is horrible. I do not want to have to take my eyes off the road to futz around just to change the station on the radio or turn the fan up on the A/C.

It looks like the Bluetooth will not work with my Blackberry? What’s up with that? I really wanted HID headlights like they offer on what I think to be the lower end Forester.

I keep hearing about this lag when you hit the gas with the 3.6. Is this true?

I have read the iPod interface is horrible and cumbersome to use?

Is it true the key fob will only open the drives door and with a 2nd push will not open the other doors? I thought every car did that?

Why did they add Satellite radio and charge me more for it? Don’t you think XM should pay for it in the hopes you will buy the service? I would have rather seen HD radio as an option.

I have owned Hondas for years and they have been so reliable even after 10 years. I have had 3 and am really getting board with them. Can I expect Subaru’s to hold up as well? I also found American Honda to be very customer service oriented when problems did come up. They would bend over backwards to make things right. How is SOA when it comes to customer sat?

I was also considering the G37 and the Murano as possible other options. I also think the new Hyundai Sonata looks very nice for the $ (No all wheel drive? German cars are out. Too many repair bills from what I can tell and the Ford Fusion looks boring to me?

Sometimes I feel Subaru is such a small automaker in the world of automotives that they do not have the resources a Honda, Nissan or even a Hyundai have? Yes I know Toyota does and look at the mess they are in.

Am I missing the bigger picture here? I see negative remarks posted and it throws me off. My guess is there are people complaining about Accord’s out there as well.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Will someone set me straight here?

I know this site is for mostly Subaru performance enthusiasts, but I need your help.

I live in Chicago so winters could be rough and I can see a real benefit to all wheel drive.

I have been waiting for the 2011 3.6 Limited to come out with folding mirrors since my garage is very narrow and do not want to have a $500 mistake just by hitting the side of the garage when my kids are fighting.

I see so many pros and a few major flaws from what I can tell with the Legacy.

Here are the flaws.

I want the rear camera as added security with my little children and I want the GPS like I have in my 04 Accord. I am told the interface is horrible. I do not want to have to take my eyes off the road to futz around just to change the station on the radio or turn the fan up on the A/C.

It looks like the Bluetooth will not work with my Blackberry? What’s up with that? I really wanted HID headlights like they offer on what I think to be the lower end Forester.

I keep hearing about this lag when you hit the gas with the 3.6. Is this true?

I have read the iPod interface is horrible and cumbersome to use?

Is it true the key fob will only open the drives door and with a 2nd push will not open the other doors? I thought every car did that?

Why did they add Satellite radio and charge me more for it? Don’t you think XM should pay for it in the hopes you will buy the service? I would have rather seen HD radio as an option.

I have owned Hondas for years and they have been so reliable even after 10 years. I have had 3 and am really getting board with them. Can I expect Subaru’s to hold up as well? I also found American Honda to be very customer service oriented when problems did come up. They would bend over backwards to make things right. How is SOA when it comes to customer sat?

I was also considering the G37 and the Murano as possible other options. I also think the new Hyundai Sonata looks very nice for the $ (No all wheel drive? German cars are out. Too many repair bills from what I can tell and the Ford Fusion looks boring to me?

Sometimes I feel Subaru is such a small automaker in the world of automotives that they do not have the resources a Honda, Nissan or even a Hyundai have? Yes I know Toyota does and look at the mess they are in.

Am I missing the bigger picture here? I see negative remarks posted and it throws me off. My guess is there are people complaining about Accord’s out there as well.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

then what are you waiting for?

Power

AWD

Roomy (wish my 08 has more room)

Good looking (I know many will disagree on this but I like it)

Smooth + reliability from H6 engine

For the snow part, I live in Boston and park on the street everyday. In the winter morning, while everyone was sweating to get their cars out of the lot, I just stepped in, drove the car straight out.... I know they think I'm an @ :redface:

• 2 weeks later...
Subaduba: I understand your issue as I too have had very reliable Honda's along with a very responsive North American Honda when problems arose with our Odyssey, but what is your decision? You started a thread similar to this on the 2010 model, now on the 2011. What gives? Did you drive/buy anything? As a Honda real time 4WD owner, yes it makes a difference, which is why, now looking to replace the CR-V next year, am looking at a Legacy. Leaning towards the 3.6R myself, mainly because I dont' want any power regrets, and to be honest, just dont' want to buy the cheapest, most economical model for once in my life...I keep cars for an average of 7 years. Interested in the input on your thread, but I think you need to let us know what you are up to in order to breath some life into your thread. What else have you test driven? Pros? Cons?

If you have the choice and you care about the interior the G37 is really nice.

If you really want to have fun driving then the 2.5GT is going to be great, the 3.6R H6 engine is good, not the fastest like the GT, but still does its job without sacrificing a lot.

Honestly I'd wait for the 2011 models and then go out and pick up a 2010 if I was in the market of buying a a subaru.

There is barely any changes between the 2010 and 2011 models other than folding mirrors.

I think some features are going to be standard on the new models but that's really about it.

You could get a great deal since dealers are trying to get rid of the 2010 models so they can bring in more 2011 models in.

Think long and hard, make sure you get to drive all the cars you have in your list and go for the one that you like the most.

The goal is to get an all wheel drive car or SUV. I really do not want to step backwards from my 04 Accord with performance and good ergonomics in the driver’s seat.

Here is what makes me uneasy about the Legacy. Granted most of the below comes from reading the forum and care reviews from various news sources.

Outside

· The engine has lag when you hit the gas. (Inline 6)

· Sounds like the engine is hard to work on.

· A little mushy on the road not as firm as the Accord.

· Larger gaps in the sheet metal. I also found the sheet metal to be thin? (sounded tiny when closing the doors and trunk)

· The trunk is hard to open

Inside

· The GPS is outdated technology you can’t operate many functions while driving and the interface is hard to use.

· The IPod functionality is clumsy

· The Bluetooth will not work with my Blackberry 8520 (looking at the Subaru Bluetooth compatibility list)

General concerns

· Resale

· Cost of maintenance

· Support from SOA in time of need (Honda of America is very supportive)

· I would have liked to see more of the cool stuff even Hyundai is adding to their cars

· Why is the Subaru always losing to other cars in these face offs in the car magazines?

Now with all the negative stuff out of the way.

· I really like the way the car looks. (I know most posters like the 09 and earlier styles better)

· Subaru is starting to have an even larger following making it mainstream which has its plus’s (More dealers)

· I also like the passion from other Subaru owners.

I just do not want to make a financial blunder here. When dropping $30k you want to make the right choice and not have regrets. Help me get thru this and show me why the Subaru is the way to go.

Thanks for listening to my rant

The goal is to get an all wheel drive car or SUV. I really do not want to step backwards from my 04 Accord with performance and good ergonomics in the driver’s seat.

Here is what makes me uneasy about the Legacy. Granted most of the below comes from reading the forum and care reviews from various news sources.

Outside

· The engine has lag when you hit the gas. (Inline 6)

· Sounds like the engine is hard to work on.

· A little mushy on the road not as firm as the Accord.

· Larger gaps in the sheet metal. I also found the sheet metal to be thin? (sounded tiny when closing the doors and trunk)

· The trunk is hard to open

Inside

· The GPS is outdated technology you can’t operate many functions while driving and the interface is hard to use.

· The IPod functionality is clumsy

· The Bluetooth will not work with my Blackberry 8520 (looking at the Subaru Bluetooth compatibility list)

General concerns

· Resale

· Cost of maintenance

· Support from SOA in time of need (Honda of America is very supportive)

· I would have liked to see more of the cool stuff even Hyundai is adding to their cars

· Why is the Subaru always losing to other cars in these face offs in the car magazines?

Now with all the negative stuff out of the way.

· I really like the way the car looks. (I know most posters like the 09 and earlier styles better)

· Subaru is starting to have an even larger following making it mainstream which has its plus’s (More dealers)

· I also like the passion from other Subaru owners.

I just do not want to make a financial blunder here. When dropping $30k you want to make the right choice and not have regrets. Help me get thru this and show me why the Subaru is the way to go.

Thanks for listening to my rant

I think the only one I6 engine left in the world is belong to BMW :lol:

I think the only one I6 engine left in the world is belong to BMW
Ford Australia has had a homegrown 4.0L I6 in their RWD Falcon for decades. It has some lovely boosted versions (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852824823&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FFord-Default&c=DFYPage&site=FOA) that are purchased over the V8, which would be the "preferred" engine of most Aussies. The 4.0 is due for replacement by Ford America's decades-newer technology 3.7L V6 and "EcoBoost" (gawd what a sh!tty marketing name) 3.5L V6.

I drove a Ford Fairmont (don't laugh - that just meant a couple of trim levels above base on what we would call the 2007 Falcon) 4.0 as a rental car in 2007. The 4.0 was torquey, powerful and more than acceptable for fuel consumption. Even as a DOHC 24v, though, it wasn't very fond of revving near redline. Not that that stopped me. :lol:

"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

Best of luck on your future selection. A few minor notes. I belive the 3.6R lag was corrected by a TCU update. My trunk works great - but I have been using a hatch back prior. Mushy on the road is from the tires which are better on the 3.6R than the 2.5i (OB forum wasa good place to figure this out) Good brakes as well on the 3.6R/GT over the base model. Can't comment on the Nav; have the same problem with pairing my phone:mad: but give it a try at the dealer. Not sure about the general stuff. Fit and finish better on my new LGT than the 07 OB I still have. When I was looking to buy a used STI or maybe even a Spec B, they held thier value quite well.

Sounds like you are a family guy. Check out the crash safety tests. I've got an 07 & 08, both with factory nav and both retrofitted with the WRX ipod interface. The nav is fine - not incredible, but not what I would say is horrible. The ipod interface is acceptable. As far as ergonomics go, Honda is very good and I'd say Subaru is as well.

I'm going outside to go fix a flat tire on my Dad's accord and I really don't see the major differences in ergonomics. Put me in many (not all) American car brands, and I'll spot the ergonomic flaws all over. My point is that much of that is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm owned 4 Subarus and have been extremely pleased with their reliability, service, durability, and versatility. subaru has the best AWD system going, IMHO - as they've been specializing in that drivetrain for years. I like the poster ho said to check out the G37. I'd also look at the Audi S4. Those are the cars I'll be looking at when it is time to replace my Spec B. But, they cost a little bit more.

But, buy something you're happy with because it'll be your companion for 7 years.

I finally drove the 3.6 the other day. I loved the way it drove. There was a very minor lag when I hit the gas but it would be something I could get over. This car did not have the GPS and the information screen was not bright enough. I think at night it would be fine but it was horrible during the day. I played with the CPS with the model on the showroom floor. I found all the buttons in the center console to be very hard to read and was too small. I think it would be very difficult to do things while driving. They need to not be so fancy and do black with white lettering that you will find in most cars. The speedometer was also on the small side. I am use to looking at the giant speedometer of my accord and I think I like that better. I am sure once you have the car a while all these things would get better but this may be a deal breaker for me. I need it to be second nature to operate the controls. Lastly the GPS is also very hard to operate. I worked for about 15 minutes to pair my phone with the car. It worked but man you need a degree to do anything with it. I was also set to by and now I am back to swuare one. I may look at a Murano or the G37.

Thanks all for your help

A co-worker just got a G37x. Very nice, but expensive. Check out the 07+ G35x also if you dont mind going CPO. If you are in that ball park, why not check out a BMW 328xi? especially for the options you want, I can't say that the legacy is going to be a good fit compared to others in its class. just a thought. happy hunting.

Hey, after reading your lists and getting an idea of what you r looking for, do yourself a favor and take a look at the Acura rdx. I have an 08 for the wife and she loves it. Since your a Honda person odds are the rdx will really push your buttons (in a good way lol)

goodluck!

Archived