LegacyGT.com

Got P&L Tuned Yesterday

F1nALMSFan

Well I got tuned at P&L Motorsports yesterday. Must say the guys there are great, very friendly and definitely know their stuff. Mods are P&L downpipe and Perrin TMIC. For the S# setting I made 258whp/300tq. Car feels great, lots more power throughout, and still averaged 27 mpg on the way home.

The only thing I would like to change is the throttle response at low rpms in 1st and 2nd gear. The car seems to go from no throttle to significant throttle with very little pedal travel. This results in bucking at low rpm driving (stop and go traffic). Is this something that is common in tunes and I just have to accomodate the sensitivity? Jorge already said he could tone this down for me, with the result being a loss of overall torque.

Damn very nice numbers he was able to pull out of the car.

I have a slight bucking in 1st and 2nd and the car is stock. The only way I can get it to buck is if I'm in a very very low RPM say around 1200rpm in first gear with no throttle the car bucks trying to stay alive in bumper to bumper traffic.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

get in I mode for low RPM driving. Im stg 2 tuned from P&L w my 08 LGT and it bucks in S and S# at very low rpms like cruising around parking lot looking for space. but toss it into I mode and no problems.

So you got tuned on a brand new motor? or did you break it in first?

BTW is the downpipe catless or catted? any pics of the chart?

Jorge already said he could tone this down for me, with the result being a loss of overall torque.

Sorry but in my experience I think Jorge is just talking conservatively. I tweaked my throttle map and the car is more responsive while being more easy to control. I can keep the car in vacuum very easily if I want and as soon as I step on it, the response and torque is great. The stock throttle mapping is garbage :lol:

can you post up the dyno plot? :)

-Franz

get in I mode for low RPM driving. Im stg 2 tuned from P&L w my 08 LGT and it bucks in S and S# at very low rpms like cruising around parking lot looking for space. but toss it into I mode and no problems.

So you got tuned on a brand new motor? or did you break it in first?

BTW is the downpipe catless or catted? any pics of the chart?

I broke the motor in 1300 miles before the tune. I have a carted DP on there. I have been trying the I mode lately, gets rid of most of the bucking. I'll post the graph up when I get home.

Ok, here is the requested dyno sheet.

After driving around for a good part of the day today, I really love all the added power that is there from the instant I press the pedal down. However, constanst speed driving seems to have some of the same "bucking" as the low rpm driving does. Around 2000 rpm and below, the car seems to either accelerate or decelerate, and cause the mpg meter to go from one extreme to the other. This is also what happens at very low speed, 1st and 2nd gear, although it is much more noticeable. Is this similar to what other peoples tunes yield?

002.thumb.jpg.8bc454052d7ae0ba42cf7643bb82e6dd.jpg

I get the bucking in 1st and 2nd gear as well, but my car is totally stock. It get quite annoying when it happens, especially when I have passengers. It does exactly what your describing. I see the mpg needle bouncing from one end to the other. My only remedy half the time is to just be very very gentle on the lifting off and applying throttle. I would also like to know if anyone else has this issue?

After driving around for a good part of the day today, I really love all the added power that is there from the instant I press the pedal down. However, constanst speed driving seems to have some of the same "bucking" as the low rpm driving does. Around 2000 rpm and below, the car seems to either accelerate or decelerate, and cause the mpg meter to go from one extreme to the other. This is also what happens at very low speed, 1st and 2nd gear, although it is much more noticeable. Is this similar to what other peoples tunes yield?

I only have the bucking issue if Im slowly driving/idling around in 1st or 2nd gear in a parking lot, nothing at cruising speeds.

from your dyno it looks interesting where your I and S modes hits peaks and dips back down between 2.5k-3k rpms, while S# just keep going.

On mine only I mode does the dip the other 2 goes up smoothly, and the dip is not as noticeable on my dyno:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/Bbc84/Legacy%20GT/Stg2DynoTuned.jpg

I get the bucking in 1st and 2nd gear as well, but my car is totally stock. It get quite annoying when it happens, especially when I have passengers. It does exactly what your describing. I see the mpg needle bouncing from one end to the other. My only remedy half the time is to just be very very gentle on the lifting off and applying throttle. I would also like to know if anyone else has this issue?

That sounds like the stutter issue, but usually that is under throttle and not just cruising though.

What RPM/load did Jorge set the open loop/closed loop transition/delay?

-Franz

The only thing I would like to change is the throttle response at low rpms in 1st and 2nd gear. The car seems to go from no throttle to significant throttle with very little pedal travel. This results in bucking at low rpm driving (stop and go traffic). Is this something that is common in tunes and I just have to accomodate the sensitivity? Jorge already said he could tone this down for me, with the result being a loss of overall torque.

Tell Jorge you'd like the "requested torque" drive-by-wire table smoothed out. The stock table ramps up very steeply, which is why it feels like this. It's not an illusion, it's the shape of that table. I made mine linear and it feels way better IMO.

Stock:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Tuning/requested-torque-stock.png

Notice that at 25% pedal you get over 50% torque.

Fixed:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Tuning/v096-RequestedTorque.png

It drops off a bit more steeply near 0% throttle because idle corresponds to about 30-40 in the requested-torque sense. There was a dead zone at that end of the throttle pedal range otherwise.

Also, that's a soft rev limiter you're seeing in the 7000+ rows. I'm still not sure if that's a great idea or not, but it doesn't hurt.

I noticed that Jorge targets a little bit richer a/f on the lgt's over the sti/wrx. I think hes compensating for the lack of airflow cooling over the intercooler, tune looks solid though. Enjoy it.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived