LegacyGT.com

Chip key-so how did they steal it?

So I just picked up a 2005 LGT and the dealer only had one key and fob. I found I had to use the dealer for a new key due to the chip/engine immobilizer system, which means a $45 key and an appointment with service. This car was stolen twice from the former owner (driven, not towed). My question is, how did they defeat the immobilizer system? Could there be a key under the dash to use with a remote starter? I am not aware it has one, but maybe it did in the past.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just gonna throw out a wildcard here:

Possibly the owner was in a bad relationship or had shady friends. Someone they personally knew may have taken the second set of keys and "borrowed" the car. If the owner reports it as stolen... it's stolen.

Just because they said it was stolen doesn't mean guys in hoods and face masks smashed the window and shoved a screwdriver in the lock cylinder.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So how does the guy know it was driven away when it was stolen unless he saw someone stealing it??? I f you see someone stealing your car you might be inclined to do something about it unless you A: just dont care or B: are involved and are doing it for insurance reasons? either way it sound kinda shady to me, Just lock your doors set the alarm and get a set of Hella Supertones for horns and install them and when the alarm goes off it will be so damn loud it will draw attention believe me. Either way sounds kind of odd to me. IMHO

I checked the background thoroughly. I know it was driven because it was wrecked while it was being driven. No structural damage, all new parts to repair. Everything hangs good and paint is decent, drives tight, so I have no problem there. Add to that it got a short block at my selling dealer due to turbo seal failure 10,000 miles ago (53k now) and a new timing belt at that time. So no belt needed until over 100,000 miles. And I've got 2 more years of warranty. If I bought a pristine car, I'd be worried about someone dinging or driving it, but not this car. After all, it has had 2 owners. They could have abused it more than the thiefs did, theoretically. I kind of doubt it, though. I found a bottle of synthetic oil in the trunk. I can take that two ways-maybe it's using oil, or the owner cared enough to use synthetic and just had some left over. By the way, the two thefts and the accident did not appear on the Carfax. I found out from the insurance company.

probably a hookup between the thiefs and the dealership, most likely a boxer-looking kid. And one day the old semi-retired car thief, thats too slow now so he just monitors the police frequencies, will leave the keys too close to a cheeseburger and his dog will eat them, and the rookie thiefs will have to feed the dog a laxative and wait to get the keys back.

probably a hookup between the thiefs and the dealership, most likely a boxer-looking kid. And one day the old semi-retired car thief, thats too slow now so he just monitors the police frequencies, will leave the keys too close to a cheeseburger and his dog will eat them, and the rookie thiefs will have to feed the dog a laxative and wait to get the keys back.

I havent the slightest idea what your talking about boy

http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=3682

Does a key under the dash serve to defeat the immobilizer for a remote starter, as I have heard? I figure it won't hurt to look for one.

Most of them will use the spare key under the dash to defeat the immobilizer. I have heard of some that don't, but I don't know how they work specifically.

If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll get it. :(

This is true, even the best security system won't stop anyone from just towing the car away.

I'm sure there's people that know how to defeat the immobilizer, but I doubt they'll tell you how to do it here. ;)

Even if you know how to do it you also need the proper equipment to actually defeat it. And all of that isn't worth it for the average-joe car thief.

You all have some good instincts, you should work in claims. Meanwhile, I wonder how the factory defeats the system on the dealer-installed remote starter. Nevertheless, I see a kill switch in my future. Overkill, maybe. That's it, I'll cal lit an overkill switch.

If I look out my window and see a dude or chick stealing my car I wont lift one finger to stop them. I will lift the phone to report my car stolen to the police then call my insurance and give them the news which they won't like but it def isn't worth getting hurt over this day and age. If i knew that approaching the robber would be a fist fight id go for it but people dont fight these days they shoot :) And i have really good theft coverage(full) and GAP so I would have no problem getting what I pay from those two.

I would be sad to see my sexy Legacy stolen then chopped or just dogged out then ditched in a creek but the dealers still have plenty 08/09 models for me to buy

Meanwhile, I wonder how the factory defeats the system on the dealer-installed remote starter.

The factory system is integrated with the car so it bypasses the immobilizer entirely. It also starts the engine while leaves everything unrelated to the engine off. (Think gauges, radio, ...)

A non factory system has to trick the car into starting, usually by tricking the car into thinking its on.

So I waited at the dealer 2 hours while they went out to a hardware store and cut a key, then programmed it. It cost $110 including the $45 key and shop time and tax. It starts the car ok. I get home and it won't turn the door lock. They didn' t check it before they gave it to me. The other key works fine in the door. I go out to the hardware store to get a regular key cut to carry in my wallet, again using the good key to work from. The new key won't unlock the door either. If you wiggle it for a while, either one will turn right only, to the lock position.

Does a key under the dash serve to defeat the immobilizer for a remote starter, as I have heard? I figure it won't hurt to look for one.

Yes it does. A car installer needs one to sacrifice if he's going to install and aftermarket starter in the 2005-2009 LGT.

There's also the valet key that many people keep in their glove compartments. Thieves never look for them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually - I was surprised the other day that there was a company around here that actually offered to copy keys with immobilizer code.

And since it's an RF code it wouldn't be too hard to scan your key when it's in your pocket and make a copy if you have the right equipment.

But this indicates that the theft is planned and not a theft of the moment.

453747.png

Actually - I was surprised the other day that there was a company around here that actually offered to copy keys with immobilizer code.

And since it's an RF code it wouldn't be too hard to scan your key when it's in your pocket and make a copy if you have the right equipment.

But this indicates that the theft is planned and not a theft of the moment.

I would be skeptical of a company that claims to copy your key like that. Either way if its a straight up copy you will just lockout that key from the car.

The immobilizer is LF and the buttons are RF. Of course, your automatic door openers at stores use LF, so they could capture your code that way. Either way the immobilizer doesn't help them all that much without being able to turn the key.

I was curious about this before, why it's so easy to steal a X5 or SL. Turns out you need a laptop and an antenna, and software of course, and you're good. Problem with the code is an antenna can produce, capture and replicate it. A kill switch is easy. One of the fuses under the dash (think it's starter :lol:) draws power only during start, so put spade connectors in it and wire the fuse and a switch in series, and all done :)
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

an antenna wakes it up, causing it to broadcast a signal, which an antenna receives. It needs to be very close, but if you walk up to a guy in a legacy and talk with him about his cool car for a minute before he walks to his destination, that minute is supposedly enough according to the people who have been interviewed in the articles I've read out of curiosity. So how is an immobilizer different?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived