LegacyGT.com

brakes under warranty?

Today, I just dropped off my car for a brake maintainance. First, there was noise when I step on the brakes; with 3 weeks of driving the car, now my steering wheel shakes as well when I brake.

If the fix would be to resurface the rotors, or new pads, will this be covered under warranty?

Thanks

~dru

New brake pads can be replaced when considered worn(I believe is 1.5-2mm) in the vehicle service manual under the wear item warranty which is 3/36k. The rotors can be resurfaced or replaced within the 3/36k basic warranty.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

No problem.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

recap:

They resurface all 4 rotors under warranty. The service assistant manager said that if it still occurs they will order a 4 new rotors.

I also ask that they change the e-brake boot since it is flaking.

Can I just call and have them get all new rotors?

No. Subaru is paying the bill, so the dealers have to follow their policy. First repair is to measure the runout and specs. If they are beyond it, they resurface them. If it continues, then they replace them.

Today, I just dropped off my car for a brake maintainance. First, there was noise when I step on the brakes; with 3 weeks of driving the car, now my steering wheel shakes as well when I brake.

If the fix would be to resurface the rotors, or new pads, will this be covered under warranty?

Thanks

~dru

I've had my rotors resurfaced 5 times (any more problems they're going to replace them)... all under warranty (extended)

Within a few months they'll be back to violently shaking my steering wheel and rattling my teeth again. Literally coming down the mountain passes, my brakes would be rattling so hard that my glove box has popped opened.

The service guy tells me that with all the new safety requirements cars need to meet, Subaru just makes their rotors very soft which leads to warping and uneven surfaces. I told him I mostly engine brake and then lightly, and evenly, apply the brakes until I come to a stop. He told me that is a problem and that I should, "wait until the last possible second and ride the brakes hard." <--- yeah, I shit you not. :rolleyes: He also told me switching to Hawk HPS pads wouldn't change the problem.

I'm just going to keep nursing the extended warranty company for all it's got for the remainder of our terms of service then, if I still have the car, replace the rotors with real rotors.

^^^Your service guy is wrong. The pads suck. Plus I bet you never bedded the brakes...

Correct. Correct. Correct (I bought the car with 29,000 from an apparent ricer who thought the 2.5i was a Ford GT)

I just searched "brake bedding" per your suggestion above and found one thread that seemed helpful. So essentially (forgive my noobness) it's a way to break in the pads/rotors once they're resurfaced?

Basically, the best friction surface for your pads, is the pads ;) Bedding lays down a layer of pad material on the rotors to give you the best braking with the highest heat capability for a given set of pads. If it is done right, it also prevents what many term "warping" which is actually uneven pad deposits. W/ the OEM pads being so soft, you sadly have to do this pretty often as the deposited layer will wear off very easily. But, if you keep it there, you get great performance and no "shuddering"
:spin:

Archived