LegacyGT.com

NEW CAI= check enginge light + cruise

yeah, so i got a CAI from AEM (actually off of a 02-03 wrx, but i bolted up fine with a custom bracket, and a 60 deg bend pipe)... i got it for a deal so i figured i'd see if i can get it to work, and now i have it on, reset my computer, runs good, only thing is taht after about 15-20 miles my check engine light comes on and my cruise control light blinks and it won't let me use it. wondered if any of you know what would make it do it before i go and have a diag scan on it on monday. i haven't plugged the breather hoses for the oil overflow yet but i don't think that would really be a problem. i was thinking it was the MAF reading that was different or if you know why it's doing this i would want to know the extent of how much it costs to fix. will post pics of what i got soon. i don't do much traffic jams or lots of idling (except for today, damn fireworks pileup)

I'm almost positive it refers to something.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

p0171 is a lean code, basically the o2 sensor is seeing more air exiting the engine than the MAF sees entering. check to make sure all of your connections on the CAI are good, and that the fresh air source for the PCV is hooked up to the CAI pipe. with tehis lean code stored the computer will not allow cruise control to work.

My injen CAI throws CELs on my '06 2.5i...

How did ya end up hooking yours up? I'm getting mine in a week or so. I know people with '06 2.5is that have had no problems. I know we have extra tubing. Did you do it the exact same way that the '07 2.5i guy did it on the Injen thread?

p0171 is a lean code, basically the o2 sensor is seeing more air exiting the engine than the MAF sees entering. check to make sure all of your connections on the CAI are good, and that the fresh air source for the PCV is hooked up to the CAI pipe. with tehis lean code stored the computer will not allow cruise control to work.

What is the PCV?

Ok then lol, yes thats who I was talking about. How often does the CEL show up? I sent him a PM one day and he gave me another alternative to the method he used on his thread. He hooked up the tubing to the CAI, but he just plugged the tube coming from the white connector thing on the throttle body. Is this how yours is, or did you use the T and hook all three hoses together?

I'm not sure of the exact cause of the CEL. I lost one of the MAF screws and haven't been able to find a replacement. I've tried to seal off the gap with electrical tape, but I'm sure some unfiltered air is still creeping its way through.

I used the T connector.

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. the stock air box has some small diameter hoses running to it. these are fresh air sources for the crankase. there is one hose that runs up from the crankcase to the intake manifold, and the valve is in this hose. the fumes in the crankcase are recovered into the intake and burnt. btw i eliminated teh t vaccuum connector without any issues on my 2.5L. also "bank 1" is referring to teh bank of the engine that is running lean, if it is a four cyl, then theere is only one bank, if it is a v6 then it is the bank of cylinders that contains cylinder number 1. bank two would be the other three cylinders.

I'm not sure of the exact cause of the CEL. I lost one of the MAF screws and haven't been able to find a replacement. I've tried to seal off the gap with electrical tape, but I'm sure some unfiltered air is still creeping its way through.

I used the T connector.

checkmate lol. Ya think the MAF is shooting CELs because it is not screwed tightly? Maybe it is getting inconsistent readings because it is moving around on the intake?

FWIW - Years ago, removing the (anti-)resonance chambers or plenum (the big box just upstream of the throttle body) was blamed for destroying some n/a Subies because, supposedly, the resulting intake resonance confused the MAF, causing a catastropically lean condition.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

FWIW - Years ago, removing the (anti-)resonance chambers or plenum (the big box just upstream of the throttle body) was blamed for destroying some n/a Subies because, supposedly, the resulting intake resonance confused the MAF, causing a catastropically lean condition.

I thought that that chamber was a reserve for extra air that was needed upon quick bursts of acceleration.

Archived