LegacyGT.com

Doing brakes and rotors on a 2011 Legacy - Questions inside

I've done brakes and rotors a number of times on a number of different vehicles. My girlfriend is on a budget, and the stealership wants over $600. When I was talking to them, they said replacing the pads and turning the rotors would be over $600. I was a bit surprised by that, because out of all the cars I've worked on, none have ever been thick enough to turn, that they are a one time use item, today. The problem is she has NONE of the tools (and I have none because I lost them all in a move).

I'm trying to order from advance auto parts, to take advantage of their $40 off $100 or more, and was wondering what you all thought of the brakes and rotors?

I also want to make sure I have everything I need before I start the project (since we share a car). Links are provided for the brakes and rotors.

Front and rear pads

Rotors: Front and Rear

Jack stand

Floor Jack

C-clamp to compress the calipers

Metric socket set - What sizes will I need? I know some socket sets intentionally leave out the most common socket.

Oh, and can someone suggest a decent socket set?

Thanks!

Craftsman (Sears) makes great tools, Harbor Fright has some that are good.

Look on here for KNS brakes, he can help you on parts.

Have you asked in the suspension/brake forum ?

You'll want to buy a set of Craftsman tools, they are hard to beat for 90% of us.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've got an older version of this one:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00937154000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

If it comes with 10, 12, 14, 17, & 19 mm sockets (preferably 6-point), you've got 99+% "fixability".

Most Sears/Craftsman floor jacks come with a pair of stands. When they have sales, they throw in a second set of stands. Avoid light and portable floor jacks and go for the heftiest one with the most lift that fits in your budget. As I've aged (and expanded) I've been very glad I bought a 21" lift floor jack from the get-go.

Brake parts are to everyone's taste. I tend to generic rotors and spendy pads. After all, I did get about 110K miles out of the stockers (yes, I spend my days droning down the Interstate).

Harbor Fright has some nice jacks too. I have two of there Al race type jacks plus the small $30.00 trolley jack just in case.

My old Sear black steel floor jack is still going strong after some 14 years of use. HF has nice stands too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got my last set of stands from Harbor Freight for $30. They are easily as good or better than my other Craftsman set. You may want to get a set of box end wrenches too. Craftsman for those. I like to use box ends to break bolts loose with the tap of a hammer rather than struggling with a socket and busting my knuckles.

+1 for KNS Brakes. They can set you up with some good stuff for reasonable prices. I bet you can do the whole thing for $200-$400 with new rotors plus a few bucks for tools.

I am assuming she has a 2011 2.5i which is what this link is for.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/881_2011+Subaru+Legacy+Sedan+-+2.5i//2_Package+Deals

I'm running those brake pads in the front and overall I think they're pretty good, no major complaints. In the colder winter weather, stopping power wasn't always the best, but I think that might be somewhat common with ceramic pads. Noise is non-existent. I really like that the shims are fused to the pads, because I think that plays a large part in noise suppression. Brake dust is very low which is a plus. Can't comment on how they're wearing since I haven't checked yet.

I would suggest the Centric Premium Rotors combined with either the Stoptech street performance or the posi-quiet pads. Both excellent for a daily driver.

Let us know how we can help and I can have the parts drop shipped to you.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived