LegacyGT.com

Driver's wiper replacement?

Rimfaxe

I just picked up some nice bosch wipers to replace the worn out OEM versions. As I was getting ready to replace the Driver's side, I noticed that the windshield wiper had a little wing thingy attached to it. Although the wiper was the same length, the wind deflector would not go on. Anyone replace their drivers side wiper yet? IF so, what did you use?

I replaced mine with Bosch, and they were no good at all. Noisy and streaky. I left the little wing off. I then had the dealer replace them at the 7500 service and they have been great ever since. I think the dealer replacement wipers must have been better than the factory originals. Wipers are covered under warranty for 3 years, I believe. I don't think the dealer replaced the little wing thingy... should look into that, I think I still have it.

I think in order to keep that piece and get new wipers, you have to get the replacement rubber piece kind of wipers. You know not the ones which have the whole blade, just the rubber insert. I could be wrong though.

Those are a pain in the ass to put on, thats why i haven't bothered to replace yet. Soon though.

Factory wipers streaked, so I put the Bosch on and they've been perfect for me - no issues whatsoever in lots of rain / sleet / snow. I did not bother with trying to re-attach the aero thing, but it hasn't seemed to matter.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

switched my factory wipers a month ago with Silblade ones. didn't bother putting the little wing back on either. my daily commute is all highway and i sometimes reach 85+ mph when passing someone and they are fine, even when in use.

I switched mine to the PIAA silicone wiper bldes(SUPER SPORZA) and they look indentical to the OEM ones. The only difference you will notice is that they are lower than OEM's which means less wind noise. They are a little pricey but definitely worth it, they also last a good 2 to 3 years.

page-sporza_02.jpg.9d483d6e9e192097360bb37067bc1130.jpg

Guest turboman

Best blades I've ever had, by far, and I've tried them all, is the type sold by TireRack. They cost like $32 each. (Not PIAA) Can't recall the name. They don't have a metal frame. Very streamlined design. Very high tech.

In addition to different blades add a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap to the reservoir tank. It cuts the road film and oil excellently.

Best blades I've ever had, by far, and I've tried them all, is the type sold by TireRack. They cost like $32 each. (Not PIAA) Can't recall the name. They don't have a metal frame. Very streamlined design. Very high tech.

Valeo Ultimate

Before you all go blowing $30 have you tried having the dealer replace the blades under warranty? They are covered for 3yrs/36,000 miles...and free is cheaper than $30.

Thanks for the input- I installed the bosch on the driver's side and, function aside, didn't like the look as much as the original. I changed it back and considered returning the new blade. I bought my car in May 05, so its getting time to replace these things. Anyone had the replacement done at the dealership? Did they replace like-for-like, or did the driver's side lose the little wing thingy? I could put the Bosch back on, but just wanted post it here in case others had a better way.

Many thanks

3 hours of rain and spray at an average of 80mph yesterday and I didn't have any problems not having the aero wing. (Bosch MicroEdge + RainX) Good enough for me - I can't see myself going faster than that in wet conditions, anyway. The Valeo blades sure sound good, but awfully pricey. I admit I didn't check with the dealer, but I figured their replacement part is the same as factory...?? And a free PoS is still a PoS, right? Mainly, though, it was a saturday morning and the factory wipers were pissing me off, so I stopped at the first auto parts store I saw...

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

In addition to different blades add a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap to the reservoir tank. It cuts the road film and oil excellently.

I LUV TIRERACK. Best prices, best deal, best customer service & a great website. I love seeing the LGT with all the different wheels (drooool)

My OEM wipers sucked since day one. Had them replaced under warranty (after waiting for them to come in on order since they didn't have them for the '05 yet) and they were perfect....for like a day (exaggerating of course). The driver's side is back to streaking and chattering. Such a pain in the butt. I've cleaned the blades, cleaned the glass, etc etc. No such luck. So I put Valeo's on. They have their own integrated mini spoiler to deflect the air upwards so that it doesn't try to lift the blade, the infinite number of pressure points keeps it in place and cleaning nicely, and the patented material of the blade itself lasts a LOONG time. I had them on my truck and my maxima for over a year, through seasons, and were still running strong without ANY streaking, chatter or wear when I traded in the car. So I stick with them, despite the cost. The amount of time they last makes up for the cheaper blades that wear out quicker. Also, the dealer replaced the whole blade and housing, wind deflector and all. I haven't seen dealers/people replace just the rubber inserts since I was a kid and my grandfather did it that way. I barely even see rubber inserts for sale anymore. Just the whole new blade and housing.

Guest turboman
How are the Valeo's with snow and ice? Do they freeze up? I had freezing problems coming home from work today on the Southern State Parkway. I need to replace these wipers!

The previous reply really did a heck of a job. They don't seen to ice up the arm the way a metal blade does. the blades are flexible rubber and it sheds any ice from flexing. Ditto. Well worth the money. Plus, put Joy dishwasher liquid in your reservoir for real streak free wiping.

I hope the Valeo's are good- I'd consider it if I hadn't just installed new blades. I wonder if they justify >2X price of Bosch blades? They look good though. Perhaps a group buy may bring the price down? Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

• 9 months later...
.......Anyone had the replacement done at the dealership? Did they replace like-for-like, or did the driver's side lose the little wing thingy? I could put the Bosch back on, but just wanted post it here in case others had a better way.

Many thanks

Just went to the dealership for wipers saturday. They gave me refills for free once I gave them the VIN number and mileage. Yes they do work with the aero wing since they are only refills.

My '06 sedan's driverside wiper began chattering during its second rainfall. The dealer replaced left and right saying SoA would make a single replacement under warranty. My experience with inserts is that they are tough to find - my dealer didn't have them for my WRX or STi. I finally found ANCO's but they were taller than the OEM's and they chattered badly - something I won't live with. I found the OEM problem odd because my experience is (was) that OEM wipers perform better, longer (albeit, much more expensive than aftermarket). I find I get about 5-months from ANCO replacement blades. I liked the TriCo teflon blades but their hardware is cheaper than the ANCO's and they seem to go on just once (don't try to take them off for winter blade replacements because the hardware almost certainly will break). Bosch blades seemed to be extremely short-lived for me. I've heard that windshield treatments will shorten the life of wiper blades too. YMMV, of course.

Archived