LegacyGT.com

how much of a problem could it be? buy it or leave it?

03blkwrx

New member here, my '03 WRX got a hit and run in front of my house over night and I took it in to the body shop to be repaired thinking I was going to have my car back in a week. Sadly the insurance considered it totaled. The damages weren't too bad and it was drive-able. "repair cost is greater than the value of the car." :mad::icon_sad: so I got a check and been saving since January 1st. Been looking for a used legacy sedan with few certain specs like heated seats, 5MT, 07-09 year, etc. I know there are used out there and I wont be getting everything I want but hopefully close to it. I cant seem to veer away from stick shift.

Finally after waiting and searching, found a 09 2.5i Limited with most specs I was looking for at a dealership. They soon contacted me back saying the head gasket is leaking. Price went from 8991 to 7500.(beofore all fees) Which I could probably bring it down a little more but the hassle of getting it repaired and getting it MD inspected and etc to get it on the road.

So my question is, can a dealership refuse to fix it and still try to sell it as is? I really like that car but it might be a big problem for me to deal with. I don;t have much money to work with plus the repairs that's needed.

What do you guys think? I'm so lost. Do I just keep searching? hoping one day another car will pop up sometime.

Sorry about the long story... :p

Well its overpriced with good HGs and certainly with one failed (which really is both)

Id drive the price lower a good HG job can range from $1800 to $3k depending on if you opt to replace all the dry hardened hoses, replace sensors, adjust and machine the heads, crank and cam seals etc etc and labor of course.

I would try to get the car for a lower price and plan a HG repair job but stay under close to your budget. There are better vehicles of there for $10K if that is what you are willing to spend. If that 2.5i was in great shape overall it would be a great vehicle but not at that price they simply dont hold their value at all really.

If you had a WRX, are you sure you would be satisfied with the 2.5i? It's nice and all, but it will not scratch the itch that a turbo Subaru does.

The car was probably traded because of the head gasket issue. It is inevitable on every 2.5 normally aspirated Legacy until 2010. Turbo motors don't have the head gasket issue because they use the MLS gaskets from the factory plus they have a better block.

If you do go with that, don't get the dealer to repair it. They seem to use the same old gasket design and they will just fail again in 80k or thereabouts. And they are definitely asking too much for that car.

...Been looking for a used legacy sedan with few certain specs like heated seats, 5MT, 07-09 year, etc. I know there are used out there and I wont be getting everything I want but hopefully close to it. I cant seem to veer away from stick shift....

Sir, would you consider a Outback XT wagon, 5MT, 99k miles, heated front seats, no issues and full maintenance/upgrade history? If so, please PM me. I'm in MA.

Brief (!?) description of the car in this page:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-obxt-prices-much-sell-fori-259699.html

Good luck with any purchase you do!

True, i don't trust dealerships to do any work on a car or what could be mine. after subaru in gaitherburg, md took my car out for a 30mi joyride just for an oil change...no more..

overall it would just be a waste of(overpriced and hassle) money. I called the insurance to get a price quote on a legacy gt, and they stated that it would be about $4-$15 more than what i had paid for with the wrx..Which confuses me. with that being said.. screw the 2.5i and just get the gt. :lol:

the reason i was leaning towards the reg non turbo was insurance reasons.. now I know and i say eff it! lol

sorry no outback for me...also not a fan of the wagons.. but thanks for the look out.

Archived