LegacyGT.com

Help - Knocking/ Juddering when braking only when very hot

Hoojammyflip

I have had an issue with my JDM 2.0GT spec.B since I bought it coming up 4 years ago.

It had a bit of judder under braking from high speed and when pushed hard on country lanes - but most of the time no issues at all.

I have recently upgraded to a second hand set of gold Brembos from a 2004 WR1 the Brembo drilled discs were included in the deal. I put brand new Brembo sport pads on and the setup felt great.

A week later I have taken the car for a track day at Castle Combe...

My son had his first 'proper drive' of the car :lol: and I set him going in 'ECO' mode so boost limited to 0.65 bar... After a few relatively gentle laps the knocking / juddering sets in and is then noticeable even under light braking - you can hear it in the video clip...

We completed the session and took the car back.

I drove reasonably hard for a second session over an hour later and the first lap was fantastic... and then it set in once again and I had to nurse it round the second lap and come off... :eek:

When we left to come home on normal roads you wouldn't ever have known there was a problem!

Any ideas of where to start looking for the fault?

Everyone says 'warped discs' - but it just doesn't seem like it could be that to me!

I have had suggestions of coilover locking ring not fully tight - happened to one of our guys at the Nurburgring... and Wheel bearings as well - so a couple of things to look at - I will also check the discs with a DTI...

Just seems odd that it is only happening when well warmed up - and not happening in normal road use... :confused:

Any help much appreciated...

Mick

It seems like once it has started it happens with any braking firm/soft, highspeed/ low speed... It's like the heat has caused something to come loose but then once it has cooled down it is all back to normal.

I did 4 consecutive 55/60 mph to 10 mph braking yesterday on the way back from work on a quiet road and all seemed good...

Archived