LegacyGT.com

steady check engine light and blinking cruise

c-lo

warmed up the car this morning to get the ice off. when I got in the check engine light was on steady and the cruise light was flashing slowly. Cruise control does not work, nor could I get the blinking to stop.

wife had the car last night and filled it up, and sure enough didn't tighten down the cap enough. dealer says the check engine light should go off in a day or two, but not sure about the cruise control. he thought it could be a different issue.

yes I've RTFM, no i haven't searched the forum. At home on dial up:icon_evil , gets to frustrating search crap up here.

anyone familiar with this problem??

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can also go to a Kragen auto parts store, borrow their scan tool, read the code and reset it.
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Hmmm........only thing I've installed is an sts. don't have an Accessport, nor a Kragen, but will try Pepboys or autozone.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You can also reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery and steeping on the brake to bleed any energy stored in the capacitors.

I got one pre-AP when I pulled the resonator off. Cleared it by doing the battery trick and good as new. If there is something wrong, it will log a CEL again. Now, if you think it might be something more serious than the gas cap and can deal with the blinking light before you can get to pull the code, wait so you can be sure.

There was also a way you could pull the code via the dash readout.... Deer Killer posted a thread about this.

And for reference....all the 2005 and newer Subaru's also flash (and disable) the Cruise when a CEL is detected. So your loose gas cap is more than likely the cause of both.

That is the 11,234,567,332,567,567th time that has been posted and most of them were posted by me ;)

Here is a try for future seachers:

FLASHING CRUISE CONTROL CEL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I bet it doesn't work....

I got a CEL when I forgot to plug in the harness for the MAF. I drove for a good 50 miles with the CEL and cruise blinking, I thought it would have dissapeared during the drive, but it didn't. When I arrived at my destination and turned the car back on the CEL disappeared and the cruise control worked as normal.

As PGT said, you should also be able to reset the puter by unplugging the battery.

That is the 11,234,567,332,567,567th time that has been posted and most of them were posted by me ;)

Here is a try for future seachers:

FLASHING CRUISE CONTROL CEL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I bet it doesn't work....

yeah yeah, so what did I tell you? always has to be someone. :icon_bigg just couldn't let it go huh? I refuse to search anything at home 'cause my connection is 26kps:icon_frow . waiting for verizon dsl to get in there.

this happened to me today. On friday I installed up/down/custom tune

I was driving with the cruise on and then the car lost some power the engine light was on and the cruise light was blinking. I reflashed and that worked

gas cap loose + about half/three quarter a tank to full the ecm will do a evap test- u failed it, evap emissions were lost though the gas cap. ecm put the tank/evap system under vacuum it noticed it didnt hold vacuum. cant remember the po # but would say some to the nature of small evap leak detected.

problem fixed.........disconnected the battery. I've driven over 80m now and the no check engine light. think I'm good. It's going into the shop this week for an oil change, so I'll have them check it anyway.

thanks dan!!:icon_bigg

My 05 Legacy 2.5i did the same thing last week. Stayed that way all day, next day it was fine.

Subaru checked and said it was a bad relay and are going to replace it next week.

Will let you know if this fixes the problem...although i havent seen it do it again since that day anyway.

funkymzk

My car is brand new and that happened. Well the CEL was steady and the cruise was blinking.

If the CEL is BLINKING, do not drive your car, pull over and call subaru. If its steady, drive to subaru and have them read it/fix it if warrantied still. The cruise will always flash when there is a CEL is what they told me.

My problem was my 5spd at was stuck in 4th gear. I have a legacy gt sedan, btw. Good luck. Sorry if this was covered. I sort of skipped a lot of posts.

@#$^%! check engine light just came on again today. It's going into the shop tomorrow.:icon_evil

The dealer is correct. It will take about 100 miles of driving to reset the CEL and then the cruise control will work.

Put in a DP about 2 wks ago and no CEL in the city. Drove 350 miles straight, no CEL. Stopped for gas, drove another 12 and CEL. It stayed on for another 700 miles. Only went away with time. I *think* it takes 10 engine start/stop cycles to clear.

Put in a DP about 2 wks ago and no CEL in the city. Drove 350 miles straight, no CEL. Stopped for gas, drove another 12 and CEL. It stayed on for another 700 miles. Only went away with time. I *think* it takes 10 engine start/stop cycles to clear.

:lol: hey I'll go out to my car now and start/stop it 10 times and let you know what happens!! if it works, we'll put it in the walkthrough section next to the seatbelt alarm disconnect!

@#$^%! check engine light just came on again today. It's going into the shop tomorrow.:icon_evil

isn't it warrantied? why don't you just take it to the dealer and have them fix it.. if it's warranty, there's nothing to worry about.

Does the "gague cluster works as OBD-II" tell you any stored CEL codes or just those currently making the CEL/Cruise lights flash?

HUH? don't know. I'll take it back to the dealer next weekish.

Archived