LegacyGT.com

Brembos in the Legacy?

Stryker

Anyone have information about the Brembos in the Legacy? I've seen this pics of the car using the oem rims. [img]http://www.intuitionperformance.com.au/darkwatch/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Mods/BRAKES/STI%20Brembo%20Front%20Caliper%20$1900.jpg[/img] I've been told that this can't be done but this pic makes me think. I think that we have to use a smaller disc to fit the caliper. Any help? :?: :?:

There is a Brembo kit in the STi parts catalog (Japan only, but Japanparts should be able to get it for you), that looks to be the same one on the USDM WRX STi. But the question to ask yourself is why? Spend $4K on something that will at best marginally improve your stopping distance? The cost to effective equation is laughable. Tires stop the car. The stock GT already has excellent brakes. Kevin

The brakes are not for me is for a friend's GT Lmt. 5EAT that will be running this Sunday in a SOLO1 event. And he wants to upgrade to a better package. He already change the rims. I test the Legacy and I feel the brakes are good (I have a STi so that's the reason for the original post). Thanks for the info.

If he wants better braking for the track, he should upgrade the pads, the rotors, the brake lines and the brake fluid. All of that would likely still cost less than a quarter of the brembo brake calipers, and if it's not enough braking for his driving on the circuit - he needs to work on his braking. Seriously. :) I'm not knocking the brembo's, but after you've bought and installed the parts mentioned above, the additional $4000 for the brembo's will only be buying you an additional 2-5% of braking. There are better uses for the money when it comes to circuit racing. In fact, if he's got a 5EAT, he needs a tranny cooler much, much more than Brembo's. Worse comes to worse, I can source AP Lockheed 4-pots and mounting kit for around $2000-$2300. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Well put Paul. I think the AP offering over the past few years has certainly improved and the company's profile has been greatly hightened especially in this country thru V8Supercars. I have several friends that have the AP package who rave about it. I think Brembo are very hardcore, they look great on but their big bucks too. Adam

You only need bigger brakes / pads if your doing ALOT of tracking, and for long periods of time. In most cases, the weekend autocrosser only needs pads / fluid / lines. This is the setup I have on my WRX and it stops on a dime. And all that can be done for under $300 (worth trying at least). But man, the bembros sure look good. :)

Have to agree Tide, there are ways around the whole Brembo concept but they just look sooo good. For better braking ability for those who want to spend as minimum as possible, just use up-Spec fluid, easily changed (not that I would attempt it) and very low on cost.

Im sure they have been posted by a guy here in Oz as I replied to a post late on Friday doing a welcome, I will now try and find the link but Im sure its in the new members section. I asked a few questions too. Adam

[quote name='Stryker']Anyone have information about the Brembos in the Legacy? I've seen this pics of the car using the oem rims. [img]http://www.intuitionperformance.com.au/darkwatch/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Mods/BRAKES/STI%20Brembo%20Front%20Caliper%20$1900.jpg[/img] I've been told that this can't be done but this pic makes me think. I think that we have to use a smaller disc to fit the caliper. Any help? :?: :?:[/quote] There's no way the STI Impreza Brembo's would fit the standard Leggy wheels! Best bet is DBA Discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Dot5.1 fluid and braided hoses, probably buy and fit the whole lot for under £600 and will make a huge difference to stopping power and reducing fade. Unless you're [b]really[/b] hard on brakes or like to do track work.

So, what are the maintenance costs if you need to replace rotors/pads/calipers? I've replaced several on my accord over the years and been very thankfull I could get a new rotor for $15 and a new caliper for ~$35. Do we need to spend a few grand for brakes again after you've had them in the car for a couple years?

Hmmm to have this Brembo install you will need a 12mm to 15mm spacer to clear the stocks wheels. My workshop have done up a few BL5 with the spacer and is running gd. Well AP is still very much better then Brembo. Much lighter also. Brembo is a big junk of heavy metal. BTW the Brembo fitted on the BL5 is from the STi Rex you just need the spacer.

[quote name='agctr']Great Point Jem, and welcome to the site. I was going to say, if you ran spacers you should be able to slide the Brembo's behind. Do you know the weight difference between Brembo & AP ? Adam.[/quote] i dun really know the weight but when you hold it on your hands you sure to find out as AP is dam light. How I know? I m using AP front 6 pot n rear 4 pot. And the braking power of an AP is far way better then the BREMBO trust me.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Stryker']Anyone have information about the Brembos in the Legacy? I've seen this pics of the car using the oem rims. [img]http://www.intuitionperformance.com.au/darkwatch/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20Mods/BRAKES/STI%20Brembo%20Front%20Caliper%20$1900.jpg[/img] I've been told that this can't be done but this pic makes me think. I think that we have to use a smaller disc to fit the caliper. Any help? :?: :?:[/quote] Erm...tat pic was taken frm my webshots......hehhe Yes, am using stock rims .... the brembos are MY04 Sti Brembos 336 front 316 rear...need some mods to install onto our GTs but pic as proof...it can be done... EA

Archived