LegacyGT.com

New Owner of a 98 Outback

Bought it a few days ago.

It was a hell of a deal. 1998, one owner, no accidents, 75100 miles, oh and it was $3200 (FTW)!

Done a few things so far.

Oil Change (with flush poor in bottle)

trans drain and fill (will drop the pan end of summer I think)

Cleaned MAF

Cleaned Throttle body (going to do it one more time)

seafoam (going to do it one more time)

And then there was Todays work

Grounding kit (probably going to run a few more)

New Radio Head unit (Kenwood KDC-X696)

Ran Bluetooth to sunglass holder

Installed Reman Alternator

New Belts

Carwash

Smiled

Probably going to do spark plugs in the next week or 2 and front and rear diffs.

Shows NO indication of having a head gasket issue or any other leaks. There is a MOUNTAIN of reciepts all from a local dealer. They did the 76000 or what ever mileage service already. Gata love the last owners.

I am used the the Subaru...I have 3 SVX's.

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks

Greg

i would go through the receipts and put them in order, looking for a ''timing belt'' receipt.

the timing belt is due at 105K miles or 105 months. that is 8.75 years. if the belt has not been done it is due, NOW. failure of the belt, any one of the 3-4 pulleys, the water pump or the tensioner will / could cause valve damage $$$.

if you are handy, you can get the parts on ebay (i use theimportexperts) for ~$250 and do it yourself. that is a small investment to insure the future of your car.

congrats on the purchase, happy motoring.

now.

the ej25s have a 105k timing belt interval. so you could be 30k into a 105k interval. not a big deal.

but what if they repalced the belt but not ALL of the pulleys? now you might have 135k (or possibly 235k) on a pulley that is greased when made and receives NO lubrication when the engine is running. or what if they didn't replace the belt when they installed the engine?? the only way you can be sure is to have the work done.

and FYI, it isn't the timing belt that brakes, it is the pulleys that fail. so when you do the job you should replace the timing belt and EVERYTHING it touches, water pump, all pulleys and tensioner (if new style, old style only if needed.)

you can get quality parts on ebay for a good price, i use ''theimportexperts''.

parts for an ej25 timing belt job run about $250 water pump included. maybe another $40 -$50 for cam and crank oil pump seals from subaru. not a lot of money to insure 100k miles of driving and no engine damage.

now.

the ej25s have a 105k timing belt interval. so you could be 30k into a 105k interval. not a big deal.

but what if they repalced the belt but not ALL of the pulleys? now you might have 135k (or possibly 235k) on a pulley that is greased when made and receives NO lubrication when the engine is running. or what if they didn't replace the belt when they installed the engine?? the only way you can be sure is to have the work done.

and FYI, it isn't the timing belt that brakes, it is the pulleys that fail. so when you do the job you should replace the timing belt and EVERYTHING it touches, water pump, all pulleys and tensioner (if new style, old style only if needed.)

you can get quality parts on ebay for a good price, i use ''theimportexperts''.

parts for an ej25 timing belt job run about $250 water pump included. maybe another $40 -$50 for cam and crank oil pump seals from subaru. not a lot of money to insure 100k miles of driving and no engine damage.

wow, thanks. I will definitely be getting this done asap. I'm going to also comb through the service records and see if it was done.

Archived