LegacyGT.com

Holding clutch in on a hill

o- c-uTe

On an 86 Subaru, when you are on a hill and have the clutch all the way in, that holds your car so it wont roll back, right?

Well, when I was 4 years old my parents had a 86 Subaru. Now I am 22 and just bought my own 05 Legacy GT. They ask me if the car rolls on a hill. I said "It rolls back." My dad said on there 86 Subaru, holding the clutch in on a hill, holds the car on the hill so it wont roll back.

Is that true? Why did they stop putting that feature on the car?

I had an '82 Subaru GL Wagon (back before they were cool) that my parents bought and handed off to me when I was 17. It had the hill holder feature. Very cool! I'll have to try it next time I get a chance to see if my 05 LGT has it. I hope so!

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

They stopped it with the hydraulic clutch set up. My 1990 Legacy has it (cable clutch). It's a very simple device that works off the clutch fork and I don't know why they can't put it back in. Must be cost savings. It is a neat featurs, though it thoroughly got it's ass kicked by San Francisco's hills. I currently have mine disconnected as I was too lazy to hook it back up after swapping engines and I hardly miss it.

Steve

Archived