LegacyGT.com

ej25d head gaskets

i've pulled a motor of a legacy before and i know it's not hard and doesn't take a whole lot of time i was just hoping i wouldn't have to go through such a hassle just for head gaskets. -.- has anyone tried the new felpro mls head gaskets they released last year specifically for this motor?

I've done headgasket with the engine on the car. Its back breaking but it can be done. Torqueing the head bolts suck cause theyre on the sides. Make sure to resurface the heads and get oem headgasket. While your at it change all your timing components (belt,tensioner,idler pulleys etc)

is there an "easy" way to replace the head gaskets on an ej25d? the only way i can see it being done is pulling out the motor, or atleast close to it, and i'd really rather not have to go through all that work just for head gaskets.

If you don't have an engine hoist, this is what I suggest you do:

Disconnect the battery.

Drain the engine of all fluids.

Disconnect the fuel lines.

Unplug the engine's wiring harness from the connector going to the car.

Remove the exhaust manifold.

Undo all mounts & jack the engine as high as you can possibly get it.

Remove the intake manifold w/wiring harness.

Remove crank pulley, timing covers & timing assembly

Remove valve covers (10mm bolts & has to be done for accessing head bolts).

Remove cams.

Remove head bolts in the order that the service manual tells you.

Slide heads off carefully (combustion gases may bother you) & take care to avoid scraping surface of the heads on the oil passage dowel pins.

well now i'm in need of head bolts obviously but i don't wannt spend $150 on head bolts alone. there are only a couple of different brands, neither of which i have heard of, that are fairly priced. DNJ head bolts, from rock auto, and engine pro (or clegg engine) from ebay. I've never heard of either company and was wondering if anyone has used either one? it's pointless to buy crap bolts that are just going to snap but ridiculous to have to spend so much money on head bolts. hell at that rate i might as well just get arp head studs.

yea but even then not by much. the ones i saw were $45-$55 for a complete set of 12. and i read on numerous other sites that for the ej25d you don't need to replace the head bolts, you can reuse the same head bolts indefinitely as long as you oil them before reinstalling.

That is a big controversy...The torque procedure for installing the headbolts requires you to stretch them before final torquing. This means if you do this more than once you have the chance of a broken bolt.

When I have time I want to do some testing on this theory and prove people wrong lol. For the $100 the insurance is worth it.

I pulled mine and it was a first time, I think someone is crazy for trying to do it in the car..

I did all this over a whole week so I would make no mistakes

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/9012/dsc2505.jpg

I can't find my original pictures but I made this post after I was done.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26211883-?hilite=

Archived