LegacyGT.com

MA - Didn't pass inspection with Invidia Q300

kordos

Hey all,

I had an Invidia Q300 installed on my '05 GT Wagon over the summer.

It's loud - way too loud for me, and apparently also too loud for the garage I go for inspections.

They didn't fail me - they just declined to pass me.

I think I need to replace it with something, but I really don't want to go back to stock. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket option that's just a little louder than stock, and also available for the Wagon?

Maybe the Borla?

You may have better luck with the SPT CBE as it is a factory option part and is not too much louder than stock at idle and under low load. It still has a nice rumble when you get on it though.

I may be selling mine in a few weeks when its replacement arrives (switching to Cobb since it's the one I always wanted). I've had my SPT on for 5-6 years and never been hassled for it by the police or inspection stations.

OP, what DP are you running?

Invidia Catted DP.

I pulled the trigger on the Borla (precious few other options available, for Wagon especially); hoping for a mellowed sound this time.

You may have better luck with the SPT CBE as it is a factory option part and is not too much louder than stock at idle and under low load. It still has a nice rumble when you get on it though.

I may be selling mine in a few weeks when its replacement arrives (switching to Cobb since it's the one I always wanted). I've had my SPT on for 5-6 years and never been hassled for it by the police or inspection stations.

In for pics and price if you're selling spt!

Unfortunately, I don't think the Borla CBE is going to be much quieter than the Invidia Q300. Q300 is already known as one of the mellower systems. If you are trying to quiet down a CBE with an aftermarket downpipe, your best bet is to install another muffler in the mid pipe.

Best of luck to you in your search for a mild rumble.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Borla CBE is going to be much quieter than the Invidia Q300. Q300 is already known as one of the mellower systems. If you are trying to quiet down a CBE with an aftermarket downpipe, your best bet is to install another muffler in the mid pipe.

Best of luck to you in your search for a mild rumble.

Thanks.

I can't find any SPT cat-backs online for the wagon - just the sedan.

I cannot possibly imagine a louder exhaust than my Q300. I don't know if it was installed improperly or what, but it literally may as well be straight pipes down there.

hi guys, seeing the topic, i was wondering what could be a good choice for my LGT 08, it is with the stock exhaust and i would like to change it but im afraid that could fail on the inspection too, and im looking for a not loud exhaust... but with a good sound

hi guys, seeing the topic, i was wondering what could be a good choice for my LGT 08, it is with the stock exhaust and i would like to change it but im afraid that could fail on the inspection too, and im looking for a not loud exhaust... but with a good sound

I got the Borla, and I have to say it is dramatically quieter than the Invidia.

The Invidia had an amazing tone, especially under WOT - but it was just ridiculously loud.

The Borla is much more livable. Sound is better than stock for sure - just not as fun as the Invidia.

Will the stock mufflers bolt back on for the test.

I have a 3" midpipe back to the stock mufflers. The mufflers that came with the mid pipe were very loud.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
UIf you are trying to quiet down a CBE with an aftermarket downpipe, your best bet is to install another muffler in the mid pipe.

As others have mentioned, it's purely subjective call on whether your exhaust is too loud. Had the same issue when I had a sentra with Stromung exhaust. One shop said it was too loud the other said "it's pretty loud but I passed you anyway"

As ragman said, adding another mid pipe muffler is your best bet. You can also have an exhaust switch/cutout installed that send your exhaust through the new muffler or bypass it. This way you can have the best of both worlds with a press of a button.

Archived