LegacyGT.com

Should I keep my high mileage Legacy or sell it?

I can't make up my mind about what I want to do with my 2008 Legacy (Base model). I currently have 109K on it and I've had it since 22K. The car has no issues, I changed the transmission fluid at 60K and had a full tune up done including timing belt at 80K.

My only fear at this point is the head gasket. I've heard some bad things about the head gasket going on these cars around 130K.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the car or let it go and get something newer?

Thanks

You say"Base Model", are u speaking of the 2.5 SOHC or the DOHC Turbo(ej255)??

Either way, HG's are no major deal if you like the car, **Extremely easy on the SOHC, recommend getting heads "decked" or "trued" by a machinist(about $100)new gaskets, good to go. I would do a WP and new belt also, if the idler bearings were changed @ 80K, just the belt. If not, do 'em all.

Mac

**Pull motor, remove manifold, heads etc...

You say"Base Model", are u speaking of the 2.5 SOHC or the DOHC Turbo(ej255)??

Either way, HG's are no major deal if you like the car, **Extremely easy on the SOHC, recommend getting heads "decked" or "trued" by a machinist(about $100)new gaskets, good to go. I would do a WP and new belt also, if the idler bearings were changed @ 80K, just the belt. If not, do 'em all.

Mac

**Pull motor, remove manifold, heads etc...

2.5 I non-turbo

That's not a difficult motor to do HG on, although it's possible NOT to pull the motor, you will save time if you just pull it, put it on a engine stand or sturdy table. OK let me back up, If you have never done it, look for someone in your area on the list to help you out. Now I understand that it does not have an HG issue now, it may never have one. Improvements have been made, the initial HG failure was due to faulty HG sets, NOT the design. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, drive away! If it does start to overheat, SHUT IT OFF immediately, overheating is what causes the damage.

There are DIY threads on here to give you an idea of what's involved.

R/Mac

Keep it !

It's cheaper then having a car payment. And Taxes, insurance and a newer car...

Where do you live ? We have an insurance agent on here that may be able to save you some money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

High mileage at 109k? That's so cute. :)

06 spec. B, should hit 236,000 today. Original head gaskets.

I don't see many of our car on the road in the Dallas area. I may see you around someday.

-Clif

you're an inspiration to us all.

Archived