LegacyGT.com

97 GT Rear Differential

I have a 97 gt 5 speed wagon with a bad rear diff. Before everyone goes off on me asking me how I know the diff is bad or why I want to change it, please answer my questions first. Will a newer model rear with same gear ratio bolt in? Would I use my original axles, newer model or would this stop me from using a newer diff? I would love a lsd diff but that is not the reason for wanting to change it. The thought of being able to move the pinion a quarter turn before the axle moves means to me that the bearings are out of adjustment. Since I purchased it this way I figure the gears are worn to the point that they will roar going down the road even if I adjusted the bearings and got the gear clearance within spec. I would love to bolt in a low mileage newer diff if I can swap axles easily and make everything work. Oh and yeah I have searched here and several sites with no definitive answers.

Thanks

00 -04 diffs will fit pretty easily.

you MAY have to swap out the plate bolts on the drive shaft.

i'm not sure.

and it sounds like you know a fair bit about rear diffs.

way more than me.

but since you asked for help,

i'm going to give you some.

these diffs do not fail often.

buying a used one, even a high mileage one is a pretty safe bet.

so unless it has been run with no oil,

or there are metal chunks in the gear oil,

they usually do not fail.

roaring in the rear is usually a wheel bearing, not the diff.

01 - 04 outbacks with manual trans have the same ratio,

and VLSD.

good luck.

Thanks JohnEgg. I know the wheel bearings are not roaring because they are new. I have changed a lot of stuff fighting this noise in the rear. Since I haven't driven this on the road yet, just my driveway to the garage, it's difficult to pinpoint the noise. There is roaring at slow speeds like the rear gears and rattles like something is loos but nothing can be found loose except the play in the pinion.

FYI:

the GT outback and forester manuals all have the 4.11 ratio,

any of them will fit.

but the lego L, LS, brighton, and low end imprezas WITH AUTO TRANS all us the rear diff with the same ratio.

got that?

95 - 99

ej22 cars with auto trans or

ej25 cars with manual trans

same rear diff.

there should be tons of them out there.

00 -04 diffs will fit pretty easily.

you MAY have to swap out the plate bolts on the drive shaft.

i'm not sure.

No need to change this out, the diffs listed with the correct final drive as your car is a direct swap. Your stock axles will work just fine.

Archived