LegacyGT.com

Suspension upgrade - koni + king springs

iaacek

Hi all, I am new to these forums as I bought 08 Legacy wagon 2.5i about a week ago. But I was reading these forums for quite some time.

I would like to upgrade my suspension (the car has 110kkm on it, front is good, rear is about 20mm down from where it should be - I measured the wheel arch height) but I would like to keep it at the original height. I was looking for a suitable spring + shock combo for the last week and finally decided but I would like to hear some opinions.

This is what I would like to get:

shocks: koni sport yellow, no doubt here

springs: it was hard to find something better than oems that doesn't drop, but there might be a solution with king springs: for rear they do KSRS-29 ,standart+ height, I email them and the spring specs are: rate 345lb (~6.2kg/mm) length 310mm and approx standard height. All good here but they don't do standard height front ones. So I quoted for KSFL-42SP (wagon version) and KSFL-42 (sedan GT version, but should be the same as wagon NA version if I'm not mistaken). Specs are:

KSFL-42SP: 120-220lb (2.14-3.9kg/mm), length 240mm, Approx 25mm drop

KSFL-42: 160-270lb (2.9-4.82), length 240mm, aprox 10mm drop

So given how much stiffer they are, it might be ok do go with KSFL-42 and KSRS-29, or I am wrong? I could even maybe add a 6mm spacer to the front , would it cause any issues? Will the front spring from sedan GT fit my 2.5i wagon? Does anybody run this combo? Or should I just get oem front springs?

Also, anybody knows the length of OEM springs for wagon?

Thank you for inputs and opinions,

Tomas

Good question. I thought that slightly firmer springs might be better when I load the car with stuff and will also improve the ride. Since they are firmer it might even raise the ride height a bit (which I wouldn't mind where I drive) while still being way better than stock suspension.

Getting new OEMs it's not much cheaper anyway. Other option I was considering was to get rear kings std height and front OEMs. But I kind of like the front kings KSFL-42 being progressive. I think it might help on cornering even if the car is loaded. The only question is if the front GT spring will fit when reusing old shock body and top spring seat (I'll get new strut mounts as recommended).

I put KSRS-29 on the rear of my car (outback wagon). It actually raised the rear about an inch. I had 1.5 inches of spacers in the back to get me to the height I wanted, and with the KSRS-29 springs I removed the 1 inch spacer. So just be prepared for it to be higher than you expect.

• 2 weeks later...
Still don't have them at home. I had them shipped to a friend in US and I have to go there to pick them up (I live in Canada). But I am busy at work atm. I hope to get them here soon.

If you don't want a drop why not just get new OEM springs? The Konis will be a noticeable handling improvement on their own, even with stock springs and the ride will still be pretty good (firm, but controlled).

ive got the aftermarket kyb's. firmer than stock. tracks the road better than stock.

the stock springs i believe are the weak point.

i too have looked for non lowering springs and came up with nothing.

ive got the aftermarket kyb's. firmer than stock. tracks the road better than stock.

They are firm because they are new. Not that they came more oem...

The King Springs are not lowering springs, right?

The King Springs are not lowering springs, right?

you can get a couple of different options KSRL, KSRS, KSRR. King spring rear lowering, King spring rear standard, king spring rear raising.

Not all are available for the front. KSRS might just be for the rear.

• 2 months later...

So I finally had time and did the rear springs and shocks (I am been very busy lately, on vacation etc).

First I did some measurements of the wheel arch height, here it is:

FL: 365mm - FR: 374mm

RL: 354mm - RR: 353mm

Measured on while the car was leveled:

DSC02207.thumb.JPG.92d97538155c38e7f4b22f21b837880b.JPG

I should have taken a better picture from side for later comparison...

The old shocks went out pretty easy, I've put the car on stands, took off the wheels, loosen the lower nuts, loosen the upper nuts, used hammer to get the lower bolt out and with my friend assistance (he was holding the shock while I removed the upper nuts completely) I got them out:

DSC02208.thumb.JPG.dfc4a3da3d9011683fc2dd4e07160416.JPG

Then I removed the spring. Here is a picture of the stock shock and spring and the KSRS-29 and rear Koni Sport 8010-1053:

DSC02209.thumb.JPG.d7994913e721ccfc74e42b61a6ee3ee9.JPG

The stock spring measures 326mm, the KSRS-29 311mm based on my measurement.

Here is comparison of the stock and koni shock assembled:

DSC02210.thumb.JPG.95c9f1a684ecced3f5bd3bf029ddbca0.JPG

Left side done:

DSC02213.thumb.JPG.ef78d6ab0958a9f1a3aab4dc045fc82a.JPG

Right side done:

DSC02214.thumb.JPG.114507ae5b34ed5f07cc94f05791841e.JPG

And here is first picture with the shocks, not yet driven (I just rocked the car from side to side a jumped in the trunk:

DSC02215.thumb.JPG.5d62eb0adc6b42e5f162af0785f3844f.JPG

Finally after a ride parked on street (with approx. 80kg of tools in the trunk):

DSC02216.thumb.JPG.36c6774357361a95990a0355fb3cb1fc.JPG

It it soon to comment on how it drives but the rear is now lifted almost 20mm and I am pretty happy about that. I did the wheel arch height measurement again and got these values:

FL: 371mm - FR: 373mm

RL: 370mm - RR: 371mm

Will do some more driving and testing so see the difference. So far it feels good but I guess that would be the same when you changes shocks with 110kkm for new ones. I have the konis on the softest setting for now. I plan on doing the front ones during the week on next weekend maybe. So many projects to do =)

Remember, the adjustment on the Koni's are rebound only/ Also the adjustments are linear only in the middle of the range. Id set them right in the middle and go from there. running them at full soft means an under-dampened car.

Finally had time and did the front too.

I used KSFL-42 King springs and Koni inserts. The KSFL-42 are only 240mm long compared to the stock that are approx. 294mm. But the Kings are much more robust and stiffer (160-270lb). They should drop the front 15mm based on what the Kings springs representative told me. I am also using 1/4in (6mm) spacer to reduce the drop.

Couple pictures:

DSC02238_old_ones.thumb.JPG.2691879fd658504ead2e63240f253448.JPG

Old shocks and springs out, it went pretty smoothly. You can see that the passenger side shock is sweating.

DSC02244_cuting.thumb.JPG.ca6a9bfd5e886b85688c2334689ca293.JPG

The cutting part turned out to be pretty easy. After drilling the bottom and draining the oil I used the Ridgid cutter I bought specifically for this job and it was awesome. Fast, precise and just awesome, highly recommended.

DSC02246_bottom.thumb.JPG.b84f472be6256579adc76bf0ab322b88.JPG

Picture of drilled bottom and the insert in

DSC02247_grey.thumb.JPG.82d794261d0be72d1ec39d83dd5a09ba.JPG

I sanded the bodies and painted them with Tremclad High Performance Rust Primer

DSC02271_yellow.thumb.JPG.c4a4129bdb4bc12d9cd2f8542db2980e.JPG

2 coats of Tremclad yellow rust paint followed by a coat of satin clear Tremclad rust paint

DSC02272.thumb.JPG.56ca50e39038e89d8165f73418bcbb13.JPG

With the insert bolted down.

DSC02273.thumb.JPG.62a950355d70218356f887de38004e12.JPG

With the rubber seal

DSC02274.thumb.JPG.c7d907075382037691bcf646bb081ae2.JPG

All together with new top strut mount.

DSC02275.thumb.JPG.494c7e6677a0a14a258919b911d5d7a3.JPG

Mounted on the car with the 1/4in. spacer.

DSC02283.thumb.JPG.ace590386317776b1829eb1c9a133204.JPG

And this is how it looks after couple of rides. I did some measurements again to see how the front turned out. So with the stock springs and shocks it was:

FL: 371mm - FR: 373mm

With the KSFL-42 and Konis it's now (after couple of rides):

FL: 361mm - FR: 362mm

RL: 376mm - RR: 377mm

The rear is a little bit higher then the last measurement but that is because last time I had stuff in the trunk. So the new front is about 10-11mm lower, given that I used 6mm spacers, otherwise it would be 16-17mm (Kings springs advertise 15mm so it's pretty accurate). So far I really like it the way it is now. It handles amazingly, it's much more stiffer yet comfortable. I'll drive it around for a while to see if the 10mm (or 20mm because Subaru specs says that front should be 381mm, +5mm to -24mm) lower front is fine for where I drive. It was definitely worth the money.

Anybody has some insight on if it is better to have the front lower than the rear? Subaru specs are 381mm front and 375mm rear, I wonder why is the factory setting like that. I would appreciate any thoughts on that =).

Anybody has some insight on if it is better to have the front lower than the rear? Subaru specs are 381mm front and 375mm rear, I wonder why is the factory setting like that. I would appreciate any thoughts on that =).

The car is more stable with the front higher, more oversteer when fronts lower.

I think I learned that from Grand Turismo. Ha

Found this article: http://iracing.wikidot.com/components:ride-heights

The front/rear difference is currently about 15mm (front is lower). Also my tank was like half-full when I measured it. I'll maybe try to fill the tank, sit two people in the front and then measure it again, just to see what the front/rear difference is. I am kind of leaning towards having the front a little lower than rear. If 15mm turn out to be too much, I'll get change the current 6mm spacer for 12 or 18mm spacer (which I don't have atm and 12+ mm spacer requires new hardware for the upper strut mount - the stock bolts can only accommodate spacer up to 9mm). That would make the difference only 9mm (12mm spacer) or 3mm (18mm) spacer.

• 1 year later...

It's not too soon =). I am now at 192kkm, the shocks were put in at 120kkm, it's my daily driver, I commute 200km every day. I'll measure the ride height this weekend. But from just looking at it it hasn't sagged at all. I really like how it turned out and I like the rake (having the front a bit lower).

The handling, even in high speeds, has improved. I have couple of selected corners where I test the car and I was able to push it a bit further, about +10kph to about 90kph. The ride is stiffer but still comfortable. Let me put it this way: I haven't noticed any discomfort while driving.

Overall I highly recommend the shocks and the springs as well. Wit the front you have to use spacers 1/4 to 1/2 is ideal in my opinion.

The ride is stiffer but still comfortable. Let me put it this way: I haven't noticed any discomfort while driving.

Thank you SO MUCH for that information. Hardly anyone ever comes back and comments on the ride, much less a year+ later. :) That's really great news because...

I'm daily driving an '09 Outback and I'm tired of the ride. I'm still gathering parts but I've acquired the same Konis and the same rear KSRS-29 springs. Most people (who know WAY more about suspension than me) had guessed that cramming the King Spring KSRS-29 into a Koni 8010 1053Sport would be too stiff (including Primitive Racing who couldn't say they'd done it, but suggested the lower springs instead). I was actually convinced this would be true. But You Sir, had the cahones to bolt it up so you really know how it feels. I appreciate your response beyond words! I'm right behind ya!

I'm shooting for a discrete suspension mod so I wish to reduce the drop as much as is practically possible (from stock OB height). Could you tell me what thickness of topmount spacers you have installed ATM?

Currently I have 6mm (1/4") in front, nothing in rear. For front can accommodate up to 8mm, maybe 9mm spacers without anything extra, anything above that will need new hardware as the factory bolts will not be long enough. The front spring I used is KSFL-42 which is a progressive lowering spring for Legacy wagon. But I didn't want to lower the car that much, just enough so the front is a bit lower than the rear, that's why I used a spacer to get it more even with the rear.

So what is your goal regarding ride height? I am asking because KSRS-29 is a standard height Legacy wagon spring. So do you want to lower your Outback overall? What springs do you plan on putting in front?

My height goal is to stay within 1" close to stock US outback height, if not right on. Definitely not higher.

King Springs' website lists the ksrs-29 as the standard height spring for the outback as well as the legacy wagon.:iam:

I'm think I'm just going to reuse my stock front OB springs. Overcompressed

Archived