LegacyGT.com

My comparison of Dunlop WinterSport M3 and Hankook IceBear W300

kaimonica

Tire comparisons are bit like butt-dyno's, quite subjective and no two snow days are quite the same, but here it goes anyways...

Specs:

2002 WRX - Dunlop WinterSport M3 205/55-16

2005 LGT Wagon - Hankook IceBear W300 205/50-17

Comments:

I loved the M3's when I got them. Way better on dry pavement than any snow tires (Blizzak's and Toyo Observe) that I ever had. It did not seem like I was giving up too much in snow either, except that the M3's may not be quite as good as the Blizzak's in their first season.

I was shocked when I "tested" out the W300's on a on ramp. They just gripped and gripped, then some more. The M3's never felt this good in the dry. +1 for W300

One day with about an inch of wet snow, temperature around freezing. I felt quite confident with the W300's, I would rate them as similar to the M3's. Tie.

Today with about 2 inches of fresh snow and then driven over snow. The W300's were OK, somewhat like the Observe's I had in the past. They were OK but not great. I felt that the M3's were definitely better when they were new. +1 for the M3.

Price. W300 are about 40% lower than the M3.

I never thought that a "second tier" brand tire could be this good. I would choose the W300's again.

BTW, I am from Ottawa, Canada, the coldest capital city in the world. We get our share of snow and ice.

How do these compare with the WS-50/15 style Blizzaks in packed snow and ice? My understanding is that they are not as good by a wide margin.

The ice grip was what I loved about the WS-50s on my old car. No ABS and you would stop straight even with the brakes locked up (no dangerous drift or spin). I've been considering more of a "performance winter" for the Legacy, but I'm curious as to the real-world differences in ice grip. Indiana gets it's fair share of snow, but removal crews are pretty good, leaving the ice and packed snow as the biggest and longest lasting problem. I assume all these snow tires will have good capability in 6-8 inches of snow.

The WS-50 styles Blizzaks were what I had. They were phenomenal in packed snow and ice the first season but they do "float" so terribly in corners.

IMO, the W300's are not that good for snowy conditions. They are an OK tire for packed or loose snow, pretty good with ice, and great on pavement. For my driving patterns (mostly in the city and several trips to the ski hills a season), I find this to be a good compromise.

Even with the cold and snow we get in Ottawa, I am guessing that the roads are still bare probably 70% of the time after plowing and salt.

• 2 months later...

After having driven these for almost a winter now, instead of just 3 snow storms, here's an update.

My previous assessment of dry conditions stands, the W300 are great.

My opinion of them in snow is much better now. I would rate them very close, if not equal, to the M3's. Perhaps it was a combination of new winter season and new car that made my initial impressions lukewarm. But then I was lukewarm to the LGT for about a month until I got used to it.

I would not hesitate one bit to buy these tires again.

I agree. I've been very happy with the W300s (get to try them in fresh snow tomorrow again :D ) and for the price, they are awesome. I've had some other tires (WS-50) corner better in snow, but the Kooks brake very well in snow and ice, which is always a good thing.

I've been driving on the W300's since the first good storm this winter in NJ - that day I hit slush, plowed and compacted snow, and completely virgin backroads with about 6-8 inches. I felt very confident the whole way. I've also done highway speeds with a bit of snow on the road and been able to go about as fast as I wanted. In the dry they're ok. I don't push my car that much but I drive aggressively and other than being a bit soft and noisy (snow tires) they've been fine. These were my first winter tires so I have no comparison but I think they've done a great job for the money. I'll be leaving them on my 16"s and storing them until next winter.

Archived