LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Info! New Pricing & Possible Recall coming!

Legacy Pricing Changes: [quote]August 17, 2004 Dear **** ****, This is to announce that Subaru of America, Inc., will be taking the following pricing actions on all 2005 models beginning in September 2004. All 2005 models will have an MSRP increase of $100, except Legacy and Outback 2.5i non-Limited models, which will increase $300. The weighted average of this mid-year price increase is $139 or 0.5%. This pricing action will take effect with Allocation 9, for all vehicles allocated in the September wholesale. [/quote] Possible Recall Coming: [quote]Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that due to a torque machine operational problem, a small number of 2005 MY Legacy, Outback, and Baja vehicles within the inspection VIN ranges may have front axle nuts (both sides) that may not have been tightened to the proper torque. In order to minimize the possible affects of this, Subaru of America, Inc. has come out with the above inspection/repair repair procedure as quickly as possible. Claim information will be following shortly.[/quote]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume that you don't have all the information on the recall as yet? I wonder whether cars that were built in July/August have this issue? Could it be correlated to the 'stuttering' that is occurring? Speculations, I suppose for now. Secondly, good to know about the price increase...glad I placed the order earlier...as this won't affect people that have placed their orders earlier? At least I hope that it doesn't. Later, and thanks for the info. i.

[quote name='inthedeck']I assume that you don't have all the information on the recall as yet? I wonder whether cars that were built in July/August have this issue? Could it be correlated to the 'stuttering' that is occurring? Speculations, I suppose for now.[/quote] The full document has the procedure for checking the torque. There is supposed to be a list of affected VIN's coming out soon. Depending on the number of cars involved, and if any of them have even been sold, it may never become a recall. I assume this is a recent issue and doesn't affect very many cars.

[quote name='mmanus88']i'm happy they are doing all this recall crap and working out the problems before i buy my legacy[/quote] The new Legacy's are remarkably trouble free so far, the Side Air bag recall involved less than 200 cars, the majority of which were repaired before they were sold. This, if it even becomes a recall, will most likely only affect a very small number of cars. Mine was built after the side airbag recall and before the axle nut issue...and I got it for the old, lower price! :D

[quote name='inthedeck']I assume that you don't have all the information on the recall as yet? I wonder whether cars that were built in July/August have this issue? Could it be correlated to the 'stuttering' that is occurring? Speculations, I suppose for now. Secondly, good to know about the price increase...glad I placed the order earlier...as this won't affect people that have placed their orders earlier? At least I hope that it doesn't. Later, and thanks for the info. i.[/quote] better not change for me - i signed the papers already! just waiting impatiently. going on 6th week.......

Damn... this is what I was afraid of. I'm not concerned about a few hundred dollars, but what I am concerned are how the dealers might change their negotiation tactics- it may not be so easy to get it within a $100-$200 of invoice anymore. Obviously the demand for the Legacy is far greater than the supply- look at the few Legacies on the lot, the majority of owners here ordering, and the long time it takes before delivery. And most people look like they are going for the GT so I think that they will play a bit of hardball on the GT's pricing. So instead of selling 3 Legacies with a $100 over MSRP profit, a salesman can sell 1 Legacy at, say $600 or even $1000 over MSRP, and the demand is probably still there to make a profit from the increased pricing. After all, let's say the final deal was $1000 over MSRP for your GT, would you still have bought it? And if a salesman really needs to make a sale, he can just push the buyer onto one of the 2.5i Legacies on the lot. I think it will become like the Impreza- the WRX and RS versions. I'm sure you could negotiate a far better deal on a RS than on a WRX.

Improperly torqued axles nuts wouldn't cause any shuttering unles they were on the flange end. The axle nut goes onto the splined end of the axle. The spline is what actually grips to provide drive, so if there was shuttering in that area, it would be from a worn spline or bad CV joint. I kind of doubt given the suspension design that a loose axle nut would even allow the axles to become dislodged as long as the car never left the ground. It would, however contribute to premature wear of the CVs and wheel bearings. Either way, it is, of course never good to have any loose nuts in the car other than behind the steering wheel :D - Dan

[quote name='il collaudatore']Damn... this is what I was afraid of. I'm not concerned about a few hundred dollars, but what I am concerned are how the dealers might change their negotiation tactics- it may not be so easy to get it within a $100-$200 of invoice anymore. Obviously the demand for the Legacy is far greater than the supply- look at the few Legacies on the lot, the majority of owners here ordering, and the long time it takes before delivery. And most people look like they are going for the GT so I think that they will play a bit of hardball on the GT's pricing. So instead of selling 3 Legacies with a $100 over MSRP profit, a salesman can sell 1 Legacy at, say $600 or even $1000 over MSRP, and the demand is probably still there to make a profit from the increased pricing. After all, let's say the final deal was $1000 over MSRP for your GT, would you still have bought it? And if a salesman really needs to make a sale, he can just push the buyer onto one of the 2.5i Legacies on the lot. I think it will become like the Impreza- the WRX and RS versions. I'm sure you could negotiate a far better deal on a RS than on a WRX.[/quote] this math doesn't work when you count in the hold-back. the dealer gets 3% of the car price along with any markup. the salesman's incentive depends on his arrangement with his employer vis a vis the holdback.

[quote name='TAckhouse1']dear me....their rasising the price $100. its $100 on a car that already costs $25,000+ who cares??? quit your bitching.... -Nick[/quote] My hero. :lol: As I recall posting a while back, the GT is a screaming bargain, and you are going to see price creep during its first couple of years. $100 is nothing, particularly when people are talking about $350 up pipes, ECU reflashes, thousands of dollars for wheels, etc. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'] My hero. :lol: As I recall posting a while back, the GT is a screaming bargain, and you are going to see price creep during its first couple of years. $100 is nothing, particularly when people are talking about $350 up pipes, ECU reflashes, thousands of dollars for wheels, etc. Kevin[/quote] exactly my point....

[quote name='kanoswrx']Do you have a link to more info about the possible recal? My car was made in the end of April.[/quote] My link won't do you any good without a Subaru Corporate login. Once they release the VIN list, they will know which/how many cars are affected. Chances are none of these cars ever left Indiana without being taken care of first...so it may never even be a recall. And on the pricing...the cars are literally flying off the lots in almost every market, I don't think $100-$300 is going to change anyone's mind. It's still a screaming deal.

Archived